Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 13-05-2020 08:51 AM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

519 REPLIES 519
Viorel2018
Pathfinder
Options
Well, I thought about that regarding those who had eARC in the first days and now they don't. My bad. :smiling-face:
0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

@mike1986krk wrote:

@AntS wrote:
Different firmware is due to the hardware differences between the Q90R and Q80R systems. Five wireless channels on one, three wireless channels on the other.

I always thought that Q80R and Q90R are technically the same and the only difference are 2 rear speakers.

So does it mean that buying extra rear speakers for Q80R won't make it exackly the same as Q90R?

What do you mean by 3 and 5 wireless channels? And finally, Subwoofer is suppose to be the same so why it also has different firmware (0033.0 vs 0136.0)?

Why some Q90R owners have "W" - 0240.0 and others 0241.0 or even 0242.0?

Thanks!! :smiling-face:

@AntS any news on this? :smiling-face:

0 Likes
jbdred
Journeyman
Options
They are not the same sound bar. The rear speakers that come with the q90r have Atmos speakers built in while the add on speakers (swa-9000s) for the q80r do not.
DjK4Yahweh
Explorer
Options

@johnGR wrote:

They are in mp4 format. I suggest downloading the file you want  from the site and play it from a device that is connected with your TV or soundbar with Hdmi, like an nvidia shield.

Hi can I download the MP4 file on my phone and then stream it to the tv via Chromecast Ultra HD?

0 Likes
johnGR
Pioneer
Options
Hi,
I don't believe that by streaming from your phone you can have atmos. It must be played from an hdmi device connected to the soundbar or TV (If you have earc on your TV). And except the mp4 files, you can also try the mkv files from the link i already uploaded.
0 Likes
AntS
Options

@mike1986krk wrote:

@AntS wrote:
Different firmware is due to the hardware differences between the Q90R and Q80R systems. Five wireless channels on one, three wireless channels on the other.

I always thought that Q80R and Q90R are technically the same and the only difference are 2 rear speakers.

So does it mean that buying extra rear speakers for Q80R won't make it exackly the same as Q90R?

There’s a definite difference. Q80R is designed to use the DSP to make two “virtual” channels from the front effects speakers, instead of constantly sending two channels to speakers that aren’t there (which would make the sound terrible, apparently 😉).

That means that buying extra rear speakers wouldn’t make it exactly like the Q90R.

What do you mean by 3 and 5 wireless channels? And finally, Subwoofer is suppose to be the same so why it also has different firmware (0033.0 vs 0136.0)?

Number of channels is how many channels of communication it's designed for.

Subwoofer is the same but the RX Module - and hence its firmware -  is different as it matches the TX module in the Q80R Soundbar, not the Q90R Soundbar. 

Why some Q90R owners have "W" - 0240.0 and others 0241.0 or even 0242.0?

Thanks!! :smiling-face:

Exact firmware versions can differ between regions (there can be slight hardware requirement differences to comply with local standards, for example).

Always good to get the full model code (e.g. HW-Q80R/XU is UK; HW-Q80R/ZA is US) to establish which part of the world that device was made to be sold in.

The team here can only advise things from a UK/Ireland, and sometimes a European perspective; so for folks who have areas of doubt/trouble outside of that it’s best to get in touch with your local Samsung Support for further advice. 0240.0 is the right version for European models though.

Alexandri
Pathfinder
Options

Thank you for your response. 

Are there any  information about the TV's EARC Update?

Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options

Hey how the heck can you know if you are configured now with earc?

i have an earc tv, i have updated firmware to 1010.5 have tried 2 hdmi cables one supplied with Q90R and one 2.1 hdmi cable yes there is nowhere referring that it is now operating in earc?

are you seeing anything???

0 Likes
johnGR
Pioneer
Options

You know your soundbar is having an eArc connection everytime you switch to that device. For example, when you turn on the TV the soundbar display shows for 2 seconds "eARC". After the 2 seconds, the display is turned off and by pressing once the "sound mode" button on the control the message "eARC" reappears for another 2 seconds.

At least, that is happening to my Q90R after the 1010.5 update.

0 Likes
Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options

Hey mate 

thanks for getting back to me, i don't see any of that, only arc,

and in smart things, settings says ARC, what about yours?

also don't really hear the rear speakers, is that normal?

0 Likes