Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third Party Wireless Charger Not Fast Charging?

(Topic created on: 20-10-2021 06:33 PM)
ccook92
Apprentice
Options
I received a 'Nanami' wireless charger for my birthday today, as my last wireless charger had a bright blue light all the way around it which was annoying at night, so I stopped using it a few months ago. Anyways, I've plugged it in using the wire provided, and an official Samsung plug which can fast charge. However, when I put my Galaxy S20 on it, it says 'fast wireless charging' for a few seconds, before reverting to just 'wireless charging', which we all know takes too long. I thought maybe the charger is not compatable with fast wireless charging, but I have looked it up and it is (or should be). After a quick Google, I have found that a lot of people are having the same issue, and that it started after a software update in September. I have then tried my old wireless charger and that will no longer fast charge either. Someone said that Samsung have intentionally blocked fast wireless charging with third party chargers. Is this true? All I can say is that if it is, this will be my last Samsung phone, as this is absolutely discusting. Samsung - if you are trying to lose customers, blocking third party accessories in order to flog your own overpriced stuff is a fantastic way to do it. Wonder how many other people will be buying third party wireless chargers for family members with good intentions this Christmas, only for them all to find out that they don't fast charge dispite being sold a 'fast charger'.

If I am wrong here, please tell me, and help me figure our why my fast wireless charger isn't fast wireless charging.
20 REPLIES 20
Namelesske
Pioneer
Options

I have the same problem, on paper I bought a Samsung compatible fast wireless charger, and started charging after few seconds is getting disabled and returns to normal speed. What a... I hope there will be an official case on this. My money went to the toilet.

0 Likes
DarkSun4507
Apprentice
Options
To anyone still needing assistance with their wireless charger that suddenly isn't working, I have found the precise reason and the fix for the issue, though I can guarantee none of you are going to be happy with the outcome.

With a recent update Samsung has adjusted the wireless charging protocols on its handsets which has had the unfortunate consequence of rendering many of our existing wireless chargers useless.

The WPC maintains the Qi certification program and as Samsung is a member of the WPC, we should use the Wireless Power Consortium's database of approved wireless chargers, found here:
https://www.wirelesspowerconsortium.com/products

To use this database you need to enter the manufacturer name (let's use Belkin as an example) and when the list of products appears there is a very specific piece of text you need to look for: "Samsung Proprietary Extension".

On this webpage you need to enter the manufacturer's name then look for the model number of the charger you are wanting to purchase/use. If you find an entry for the model you want, you then need to look for an entry that says "Samsung Proprietary Extension: YES". If you do not see this entry in the database then that fast wireless charger that will not work with any Samsung handset.

I own two Samsung handsets, an S20+ and a S20FE. I have bought & tested two different wireless chargers that have the Samsung Proprietary Extension approval and both work flawlessly.

I hope this helps someone. There is zero official word from Samsung on this & despite the overwhelming evidence there is very little information out in the world that can be verified as accurate.
Windswept
Explorer
Options
In the same boat here, have 2 Samsung S20+5G's, bought two rather pricey 3rd party chargers, worked great for 6 months, now both default to normal wireless charging and not fast wireless charging, which is what I bought them for..
I'm upset with this change, seems I've wasted alot of money because Samsung changed how my phone works....
0 Likes
Brisky27
Student
Options

Don't just make fanboy statements without doing your research. 

0 Likes
Brisky27
Student
Options

Not sure he can read to be fair. 

0 Likes
Prophet1371
First Poster
Options

Look like Samsung pulled an Apple move on us, seems a greedy move to force people to buy samsung originals.

Disappointed with that move.

Maybe it's time to try other brands.

0 Likes
mhs81
Journeyman
Options

Same thing happened to me with a charmast power bank that did charge fast wirelessly before. I'm using a Note 20U and now it comes up with 'wireless fast charging' for about a second before reverting to just 'wireless charging'.

Very disappointing to be honest. I have ordered a genuine samsung wireless power bank that apparently charges wirelessly up to 15w. Will have to see whether it does, or whether there's an issue with the phone itself.

0 Likes
mhs81
Journeyman
Options
My original Samsung fast wireless powerbank arrived today and it charges fast wirelessly, so it rules out any issue with my phone. However, it only inputs to USB C, which is annoying, and doesn't appear to continuously charge my watch. Also, it won't charge my laptop, despite being 25w (apparently) and won't superfast charge my phone.
It looks like Samsung has disabled fast wireless charging with 3rd party chargers then.
Does anyone know any third party powerbanks that can still fast charge wirelessly and that can superfast charge with a cable?
0 Likes
hArDsTyLe2259
Student
Options

Decided to buy a Belkin 15w charger with my new s21u recently and having the same issue. Takes almost 5 hours to charge from 10% vs the 2 hours without super fast charging with the samsung brick and usb c cable.

First time using wireless charging and already disappointed...

0 Likes
DarkSun4507
Apprentice
Options
See my above post from 24 March. Once I figured out what to look for I purchased two new wireless chargers (from different manufacturers) and both are working as expected.

If you check the WPC product database (the link is above) for chargers that have Samsung Proprietary Extension listed you shouldn't have any further trouble.
0 Likes