Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Third Party Wireless Charger Not Fast Charging?

(Topic created on: 17-12-2020 01:03 PM)
ccook92
Apprentice
Options
I received a 'Nanami' wireless charger for my birthday today, as my last wireless charger had a bright blue light all the way around it which was annoying at night, so I stopped using it a few months ago. Anyways, I've plugged it in using the wire provided, and an official Samsung plug which can fast charge. However, when I put my Galaxy S20 on it, it says 'fast wireless charging' for a few seconds, before reverting to just 'wireless charging', which we all know takes too long. I thought maybe the charger is not compatable with fast wireless charging, but I have looked it up and it is (or should be). After a quick Google, I have found that a lot of people are having the same issue, and that it started after a software update in September. I have then tried my old wireless charger and that will no longer fast charge either. Someone said that Samsung have intentionally blocked fast wireless charging with third party chargers. Is this true? All I can say is that if it is, this will be my last Samsung phone, as this is absolutely discusting. Samsung - if you are trying to lose customers, blocking third party accessories in order to flog your own overpriced stuff is a fantastic way to do it. Wonder how many other people will be buying third party wireless chargers for family members with good intentions this Christmas, only for them all to find out that they don't fast charge dispite being sold a 'fast charger'.

If I am wrong here, please tell me, and help me figure our why my fast wireless charger isn't fast wireless charging.
20 REPLIES 20
Gavinh
Helping Hand
Options
it's nothing to do with samsung you can't just use a samsung fast charger plug and magically turn it into a fast wireless charger buy a samsung wireless charger it will solve your problem this has nothing to do with them
0 Likes
ccook92
Apprentice
Options
But I have a third party wireless cherger that used to fast charge when I used a Samsung fast charger plug, was that magic then? But my new wireless charger doesn't fast charge and strangely, my old one no longer does either, and a lot of people seem to think Samsung 'disabled' the ability to fast charge by using third party wireless chargers with the last update to get people to do what you have just told me to do, buy a Samsung wireless charger. I appreciate your advice but I honestly think Samsung do have something to do with this... Google it, I'm not the only one.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/11/10/samsung-phones-are-having-problems-with-fast-wireless-charg...

^ Scroll to the bottom and read the comments.
DarkSun4507
Apprentice
Options
It has everything to do with Samsung. it appears that they have intentionally blocked usage of all Qi wireless charging devices that are not manufactured by Samsung. In other words they are trying to force customers to use only their products which is a violation of just about every country's anti-trust or anti-competition laws.

Samsung is violating the UK's Competition Act of 1988 and they have been reported to the UK Office of Fair Trading.
Gavinh
Helping Hand
Options
cool story imagine grassing samsung 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
0 Likes
Tomsangel
Journeyman
Options
my note 9 had the same issue but an update was released end of November and it fixed it I'm just waiting for the same update to be released for my s20+
0 Likes
Gavinh
Helping Hand
Options
and as for saying samsung can't do it yes the can if they want certain products to integrate with THEIR phone they can do it
0 Likes
DarkSun4507
Apprentice
Options
I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Anti-competitive behaviour is against the law in just about every country on Earth. and for good reason.

Here is more reading on the topic for your perusal. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-competitive_practices
Onizukays
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I'm having the same issue with my new Galaxy S20 FE 5G, but the problem showed up when I last updated the phone (to One UI 3.1, I think). Before that my third party fast wireless charger worked fine. This is utterly unfair, I bought the charger after making sure it was compatible with the fast wireless charging of my phone.

So is it confirmed that the feature has been disabled purposely by Samsung?

How can I report the issue  and complain about it? Directly to Samsung I mean, since I would like to have a confirmation of the intent of the anti-competitive and harming consumers behaviour, before reporting it to the competent authority. 

Members_VocAb3a
First Poster
Options

Today my Galaxy S20 FE updated to One UI 3.1 and since then, the 3rd partry QI charger can't fast charge the phone. I receive a notification which says it's incompatible, and only slow wireless charging is possible.

As this was working fine before the update, and also works with my Note 10+ (which has not received One UI 3.1 yet), I can confirm that the incompatibility was made up by Samsung 😞 I think is not a software bug as this limitation is getting widely distributet with updates to multiple Samsung models with the latest One UI update.

It'd worth a class-action lawsuit in the US or other bigger markets to force Samsung to revert this change.

Also it's againts the QI open standard, so Samsung should not be allowed to use QI logo or name anymore.