Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smarttags only usable with Internet?

(Topic created on: 22-01-2023 02:57 PM)
xspark
Journeyman
Options

Hello,

Can anyone confirm, the Galaxy Smarttags are only useable with smartphone connected to the internet? Otherwise they are shown as not connected in the SmartThings App on my phone. So they become useless as soon as you get into a dead zone.

10 REPLIES 10
AndrewL
Options

@xspark: SmartTags communicate with your Galaxy smartphone or tablet using Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and have a maximum connection range of 120 metres. If your SmartTag is outside of this range, you can still locate it using offline finding in SmartThings Find. SmartThings Find uses other users Galaxy devices, in the Galaxy Find Network, to help you locate your SmartTag, making sure that your valuables can be found no matter where they are. To find out more, please check the link below.

How do I find my SmartTag? | Samsung UK

xspark
Journeyman
Options

Yeah, I also read the description. It doesn't answer my question though.

Even if the tracker is inside the range, it still doesn't work, without internet connection. Just try it out. Put your tracker next to your smartphone and turn off WiFi and mobile data. Smarttags immediately shown as offline due to "No network connection"

So they become completely useless without internet, even it's unnecessary for the main function of ringing.

VintageAAA
Journeyman
Options

I can confirm that SmartThings Find does NOT work if your phone is not connected to the internet. 

I put the tag on my cat's collar and went outside. It ran away and I tried to find it, but the SmartThings Find did not work, even though it only needs bluetooth.

This makes the Smarttag useless and even and even dangerous in some situations.

I'm so angry and disappointed, will probably switch to The Tile as it's confirmed to work with bluetooth only.

Beak
Student
Options
This is correct for the smarttag plus also. If the phone (or tablet) does not have network (with useable internet) of any sort then the tag is not useable on that device.

That is if you have a device not connected to the internet you can not use that device to find the tag.

Although if some one else's Samsung sees the device with network it still gets the location that you can see when you re-establish connection and look on the map.

This is in my opinion really dumb.
Yes I get the need for internet to locate and report on a map etc.
But in a no signal area, for example out back or in an underground building then without off line finding its less than helpful.

I mean less than helpful, as after I added smart tags to my smartthings and I loose network signal (I was in the hills in middle of nowhere) my phone started getting hot and had a massive battery drain started, perhaps Tring to get network or whatever. (The only change was adding tags)

Why we can't use without network and just enable Bluetooth (automatically) is beyond me. Airtags and tile both allow this.

Then if so that would be the best of all worlds.

Members_v1abm33
First Poster
Options

Exactly my view!

This in my mind is a major issue. And had i known, I'd never have bought my smart tags.

Yet, i do believe this problem solvable via firmware update.... were enough people to highlight the problem.

I discovered this myself in such a situation. I was frankly incredulous that it wouldn't even try the local Bluetooth range when my mobile data was off (i was in a different country and not roaming).

Afocan
Student
Options

It is very strange that the tag does not ring or does not ring my phone when the phone is not connected to the internet. Let's say I lost my phone in a place where the phone does not receive a GSM signal. What feature does smart tag have left? Or I lost the smart tag, same thing. it's also bad that the find feature doesn't work. The app doesn't even open. anyway, the phone passing by the smart tags should not need to be connected to the internet. For example, let's say smarttag is in an area where there is no cellular signal. if a person with a Samsung phone with no network signal passes by. If smarttag transfers the last location information to this Samsung phone, wouldn't it be fine if the Samsung phone sees the internet and notifies the owner of the smarttag the last location or communication?

0 Likes
Afocan
Student
Options

I understand this invention called smarttag. It doesn't even get a GPS signal, it works directly from the phone's location. It's a really clumsy product and garbage!

0 Likes
Petar m
First Poster
Options

I also can cofirm that the product is garbage. It should be abe to be found even though your phone is not connected to wifi. If I knew this before I would have never bought samsung smart tag

0 Likes
Members_dULB2p3
First Poster
Options

Still same 😪 even with the latest SmartTag2, not usable without internet connection on your Galaxy phone.

Very, very disappointed .

I bought package of 4 and now I am feeling stabbed 4 times 😪😪😪.

I am realy thinking switching from any Samsung products ... 

0 Likes