Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Smart Tag 2

(Topic created on: 27-11-2023 10:08 AM)
AngryNick
Student
Options
I've just been told by Samsung Technical that Samsung Smart Tags have a maximum range of 120m!!!
Surely something designed to track luggage should work beyond the end of the street?
Has anyone got any experience with the Smart Tags? Can you track luggage from country to country? 
Having a maximum range of 120m doesn't sound very "smart". 
I can track my other Galaxy devices all over the world. Surely the Smart Tags should at least do the same?

8 REPLIES 8
Neo001
Legend
Options

Since there is no inbuilt GPS, outside the 120m range, it will have to rely on the Galaxy Find network.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-find-my-smarttag/

arianwen27
Pioneer
Options
The 120m it's saying means the range a phone needs to be in to connect to it. So when someone with a Samsung phone gets within 120m, the location on the tag updates. Realistically, the range will be less as 120m is perfect conditions. You can see your other galaxy devices as they either have GPS in them or have a phone in range of them.
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
As per other posts, it uses the wider Galaxy network of phones to locate the smart tags. (A low energy Bluetooth protocol that pings the trackers location. Same as apple airtags)

I use them regularly: 1 on a set of keys, 1 in my bag, 1 in my suitcase, 1 in my car.
AngryNick
Student
Options
Thanks for your replies.
That makes a lot more sense now. I couldn't believe that a luggage tracker would be designed to have a 120m range. Its a shame that the 4 people I was transferred to at Samsung "Support 🤣" didn't have the necessary product knowledge to answer my question. 🙄
0 Likes
spence84
Apprentice
Options

samsung have the worse customer service in the world trust me on that one.

0 Likes
Samo4g
First Poster
Options

I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with Samsung Support but the heads up is appreciated.  Quick follow up question on the Smart Tag2 devices.  To utilize the Galaxy Network do you have to do any extra set up with the Devices in Smart Things or once you have connected the devices via bluetooth it's just hit or miss whether you get pings from other devices?

Looking at the link Neo001 provided (awesome name BTWs), it looks like there might be some steps to connect your phone/device to the Galaxy Network but the steps seem to be different depending on device.

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-find-my-smarttag/

0 Likes
Members_0T7FiOx
First Poster
Options

Out of interest, how long does a SmartTag and a phone have to be connected to register the SmartTag's location?

Will I get a notification if my phone sends someone else's SmartTag location to the SmartThings?

0 Likes
GusB
Big Cheese
Options
No it's runs seamlessly in the background.

Not sure how long it has to be present for
0 Likes