Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S9+ won't charge wirelessly

(Topic created on: 15-07-2019 09:29 AM)
MarcosCvn
Journeyman
Options

Hello folks.

I  bought a S9+ smartphone and also a Samsung official wireless charger. But the phone won't charge using the charger... as a matter of fact, I've seen some people commenting that one could navigate to the settings -> battery and in there I should see something like "Wireless Charger" or so... but on my Samsung s9+ there is no such an option...

13 REPLIES 13
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

The phone should just normally wirelessly charge @MarcosCvn 

Did you obtain the charger from Samsung directly or via a seller?

In the phones settings there's usually a setting to turn on ' fast charging ' if the phone and charger being used support it.

The charger or charging cord and plug maybe defective.

Does the phone charge ok with the supplied plug and power cord ?

Can you try charging your phone with another charger as a process of elimination.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
MarcosCvn
Journeyman
Options

The phone should just normally wirelessly charge @MarcosCvn 

---- First time I used it, i put the phone on top and saw the charging icon... went to sleep... woke up and phone was at 23% and the charger (wireless) never worked again... although when I connect the charger to electricity it turn some lights on, to show it's alive

Did you obtain the charger from Samsung directly or via a seller?

---- Seller

In the phones settings there's usually a setting to turn on ' fast charging ' if the phone and charger being used support it.

---- Weird, my phone (again: S9+ bought at Best Buy in the US) does not show that option...

The charger or charging cord and plug maybe defective.

---- As I said, when connecting the charger to electricity it turns some lights on for some secons... tried many cables (from charger to electrivity), does not seem to be the problem

Does the phone charge ok with the supplied plug and power cord ?

---- Yes, all good!

Can you try charging your phone with another charger as a process of elimination.

---- I will try at some shop around to see what happens...

0 Likes
MarcosCvn
Journeyman
Options
Just to make sure: I only see the FAST CABLE CHARGING option... i do not see any FAST WIRELESS CHARGING or anything related to wireless charging at all, when looking at the battery settings...
0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@MarcosCvn: Are you able to confirm the model number of your wireless charger? Just to let you know, your Galaxy S9 will work with most wireless chargers, however the Fast Charging option is only available with the model-specific version.
0 Likes
MarcosCvn
Journeyman
Options

@MarcosCvn: Are you able to confirm the model number of your wireless charger? Just to let you know, your Galaxy S9 will work with most wireless chargers, however the Fast Charging option is only available with the model-specific version. 

------- Wireless charger MODEL: EP-PG920I

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@MarcosCvn: As I thought, this is an older model that is intended for use with earlier Galaxy models. To enjoy fast charging on your S9 please check out the following charger:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/mobile-accessories/wireless-charger-pad-galaxy-note9/EP-P3100TBEGGB/
0 Likes
MarcosCvn
Journeyman
Options

Thanks Andrew. But one step back: should't it, at least, CHARGE (not fast) with this charger?

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
It seems as though the EP-PG920I is a US model, therefore if you're outside that region then this may be why you are experiencing compatibility issues. Is that the case?
0 Likes
Basher1967
Apprentice
Options

Good Morning

Ok so just to clarify, the EP-PG920I does not support fast charging but yes in answer to your question it should charge the phone if only at a slower rate. The phone when placed on the wireless charger should start charging and continue to charge but lets just check a couple of things. Firstly the phone needs to be in the midle of the charger and though the positioning doesnt have to be exact the coil on the back of the phone and the charger do need to be fairly aligned for it to work. I know that someties the phone starts charger and then can stop after a while if the phones not quite in the right place. I would also wonder if the wireless charger is a genuin Samsung device and not a counterfeit. I know for a fact this model is the most copied product that Sasung make of the wireless chargers and not always obvious to spot so if you bought it for a lot less than the normal price i would be very mindful of this possability. Finally i would say try putting the phone on charger, make sure it's charging then check it every ten min just to see if the unit continues to charge. If it fails after a few mins then possibly take it into a Samsung service centre and ask them to look at it, they maybe able to at least tell you if it's genuine or not and test it with a known working charger and/or phone to norrow the possible causes.