Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S7 - SD card in encrypted state after Oreo Update

(Topic created on: 05-06-2018 10:32 PM)
kgx
First Poster
Options

Hi. I've got an S7 and got the official upgrade to Oreo today. My SD card had always been encrypted before this update. The update went fine and my phone was always plugged in during the upgrade. Didn't get have any errors at all.

However, I can't view any items in my gallery anymore. If I go to "Decrypt SD Card" in settings, I get a generic error saying the card was encrypted in another device (which it wasn't). Any advice on how this can be fixed?

Thanks.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Lox
Apprentice
Options

I have the exact same issue. Did you solve it ?

0 Likes
kgx
First Poster
Options

I think the best thing to do is to wait for Samsung's reply. I'm surprised this went past their testing. I suspect some of the components of their encryption keys have changed (technically speaking, the components for key derivation). 

The best thing to do for now is do nothing - don't attempt to decrypt or encrypt this or any other SD card on your phone. This could in theory create new components which means your old photos can be lost forever. However, it's possible new components may have been generated already during the Oreo upgrade in which it's too late anyway. Lets see what Samsung says.

PS: I had my photos backed up in Google Photos, but that's not original quality.

0 Likes
kgx
First Poster
Options

I got a reply from Samsung's support ticket. They asked to do a soft reset by pressing volume down and power together for 20 seconds. Then try to decrypt card. Unfortunately this did not work for me as decrypt card is greyed out. Don't think I can be bothered anymore 😕

0 Likes
Lox
Apprentice
Options

Samsung told me it is my fault (yes I am serious) stating that I should have decrypted the SDcard prior updating. I don't remember such an advice in the upgrade notice.

Marcin40
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem. Samsung helpdesk says it's my foult. They also claim that this is normal on android phone. I'm very disappointed with the way they handle the issue. This is how you lose reputation.