Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

reported size of a Samsung EvoPlus 128Gb U3 micro SD card

(Topic created on: 25-06-2021 03:19 PM)
Sean-Mck
Explorer
Options

What should be the reported size of a Samsung EvoPlus 128Gb U3 micro SD card when using a Windows operating system?

Thanks

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
Solution
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
128GB right? Maybe a bit less than 128GB, due to system processes. If not, you most likely bought a fake lol.
0 Likes
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
1024 MB = 1Gb, so 128Gb = 131,072 MB. A lot of manufacturers "simplify" this equation, so that a card capable of 128,000MB is sold as a 128Gb card, when in actual fact, it has over 3,000Mb "missing". If this is the scenario that you are seeing, what you have is a card/USB stick that is only about 120(ish)Gb. Anything wildly below this reading is not a genuine 128Gb device. It is recommended to stick with well-known brands, as their stated sizes will be closer to accurate than some less-known brands. That does not necessarily mean that lesser-known = less reliable.
0 Likes
Sean-Mck
Explorer
Options

I am seen 119Gb reported by windows 7, H2testw is running on it at the moment.

Good or Bad?

I will check some other cards as well.

Ah a128Gb Sandisk and a different Samsung Evo 128Gb also report as 119Gb

0 Likes
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
No that is definitely good! Definitely a real one lol. It is going to take a long time with h2testw so I wouldn't worry about it being a fake :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Sean-Mck
Explorer
Options

"it is going to take a long time with h2testw" ooooohhhhhhh yes indeed, 2 hours per phase or there abouts lol, my computer isn't the fastest lol.

I always run H2testw on all my cards, I nearly got caught out a couple of years with my first "big" cards and learnt my lesson then, better safe than sorry.

0 Likes
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
Yeah true, true. Best bet is to run h2testw on the card and that's about it really! 😁
Maybe crystaldiskmark as well, to see if read and write speeds are as advertised?

Could you click the dots on my comment and select accept solution please? Thanks! 😁
0 Likes