Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removable battery

(Topic created on: 02-01-2018 05:32 AM)
Jbeattie
Apprentice
Options

I have lots of money but refuse to buy a smartphone without a removable battery.

The justifications I've heard border on the ridiculous such as the batteries are non-removable to keep the phone slim. Another ridiculous comeback is the "fast charge" reason. Frankly, there are times when I need to go from 5% battery to 100% in an instant and removable battery is the only way to achieve that end. Having two phones also isnt an option because certain apps cannot have the same user account on more than one phone.

The cynic in me tells me there is a more sinister reason for non-removable batteries, but I'll keep the conspiracy theories for another forum.

Now my Note 4, with its Snapdragon 805, is beggining to slow down. 

The question is, will I be stuck with a Note 4 until the end of time because Samsung force non-removable battery smartphones on us?

Here's an idea, why doesn't Samsung take a poll to see how many of its customers want removable batteries? Or better still, release both removable and non-removable units and see what the market wants.

Is it really about the wants of the market or are people just obedient consumers? I'd like to think there is hope.

And dont tell me about the LG with its removable battery, I'm just not interested.

38 REPLIES 38
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I'm not sure where disposable income comes into the equation here @Jbeattie

My thoughts are that the ip86 water resistance comes into play too with non removable batteries. 

In my opinion these batteries even though their capacities reduce over time can and will last a good few years.

I prefer not to use Fast Charging if i can help it as imo this can cause extra wear and tear on the battery. 

I agree that phones with removable batteries have their Plus points and possibly less cost to buy a new battery than having to employ an engineer to replace one in a sealed phone. 

Other such as power banks and battery cases can help. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Jbeattie
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for your input.

My point about disposable income is I can't buy the phone I want irrespective of money. I could buy a s8 or note 8 but I won't buy a phone without a removable battery. So I'm stuck with an old phone even though I am willing and able to buy a new phone.

It is possible to make a phone waterproof and still have a removable battery so that's another facade onto the list. Anyway, I don't care whether the phone is waterproof or not, who says every ohone must be waterproof, I don't give a ***** I'm more than happy to take the risk and have been using my non-waterproof Note 4 for 2 years with absolutely no problems. If in the highly unlikely event my Note 4 got water damaged I'd buy a new one but as I said, it is possible to make wayerproof phones with removable batteries.

I don't want to carry battery chargers with me and have them connected to the phone while I'm on the go - it is out of the question and unacceptable for the year 2017. The same for battery cases - those solutions should be exclusively iPhone users.

As I said, I just want a Samsung phone with a removable battery otherwise I'll be condemned to using a Note 4 for eternity.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

You're very welcome for my input. 

At the end of the day we all have our wants and needs from a phone and have different boxes to tick. 

Personally having a sealed phone does not bother me hence I've been using iPhone's since the iPhone 4 launch up to the iPhone 6 plus and then moved from them to the s7 edge and s8. 

In years past when I've had phones with removable batteries I've never had to carry a spare one anyway and I consider myself to be a power user. 

I hope you eventually find a phone make and model that ticks your want and needs boxes. 

Take care. 

Jbeattie
Apprentice
Options

Well, I do a lot of traveling and can't afford to be waiting on a phone charging irrespective of 'fast charge' as previously mentioned. There are times when I need 100% battery in an instant which is why I, like many other Note 4 users, have been unable to upgrade due to their needs being ignored by Samsung.

And this is a crucial point, just as you have said,  every person has different needs and wants. The point here is that people whose need it is to have a removable battery are being left in the dust by Samsung. They should at least give us a choice in the matter. 

It wouldn't be difficult to release both removable and non-removable battery options and give the customer a choice. Instead the current strategy reminds me of the infamous strategy used by Ford when they sold their Model T car "you can have any colour, as long as it is black". A market segment currently exists that are still using Note 3s and Note 4s because they need removable batteries and Samsung have left them with no alternative. 

Jukebox75
First Poster
Options

Couldn't agree more. I have my s5 still. It's an awesome phone but it's getting slow and a bit under powered. 

It has most needed features and sometimes more than I need. It's not ip68 water proof, but ip67 is more than enough for me. I have a couple of batteries and can change one out at anytime. 

I work in the woods. When a battery dies it's not oh I'll just plug it in. I can just change a battery with ease. 

I would love a new flagship phone but can't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a phone that I don't like and doesn't work for me. 

DRUIDDOODE
Voyager
Options

Hi if your still happy to use your s5 it may be worth getting a new battery and having it flashed by an approved repairer

I've seen this mentioned a few times to speed up slow devices to get rid of all the junk that slows them down over time 

I did like the S5 although after having the S7 edge the design is a bit stale now.

I must admit I didn't look after my S5 very well but it still worked when I sold it a few months back 

Just wish I would of read about the re flash before I sold it as it would of been great to still have a decent back up device

DRUID DOODE
Gfoster
Student
Options

Still have my water proof S5

Jbeattie
Apprentice
Options

With apple recently admiting they deliberately slow down older iphones, is the game nearly up?

Non-removable batteries for the purpose of waterproofing phones has already been exposed as a myth. Apple along with every other phone producer were in a competition to make phones as slim as possible which was the best excuse for putting in small batteries (even iphone 8 has only a 1800mah battery) and they always said they don't need a big battery because the prcessor was efficient. This is now an exposed lie because even iphone 7 will be slowed down with the next update, a premium  phone of 2017. Apple are not the only company guilty of planned obsolescence, all the major firms are adopting the same stategy.

BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I think the only thing with a removable battery on a water resistant phone is user error on ensuring the back cover is replaced correctly and subsequent wear and tear to the seal from taking off and replacing the cover. 

From the Media releases Samsung along with Lg and Motorola have all categorically stated they do not slow down their devices. 

0 Likes