Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 8 LED cover and Wireless Charger

(Topic created on: 08-12-2017 06:26 PM)
Not8d
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I have a Galaxy Note 8 with the LED View Cover.

When I place the phone to charge on the Samsung Convertible Wireless Charger, I noticed that it stops charging several times. (as frequency as once a minute). This can significantly prolong the charge time.

I figured out this does not not happen when the cover is open (i.e  it charges continuously till full.)

Howvere when the LED cover is closed,  the  Samsung Convertible Wireless Charger stops charging for a few seconds then it starts again.  Is this supposed to happen?

After further  testing and noticed if there is for example an incoming message and the LED cover is closed, the  Samsung Convertible Wireless Charger stops.

10 REPLIES 10
MisterTRex
First Poster
Options

I agree and this is a bug IMO.  When the cover is close and you receive any notification/alerts the charging light goes out then back to blue.  When it goes back to blue it is not charging, until you open the cover.  This is a serious problem as I've waken up the next morning to only find my phone battery draining instead of charging.  

@samsung - please look into this.  

parkand
Apprentice
Options

I had the cover about 15 days and I am having the same issue. With cover opened, it charges fine on the wireless charger but as soon as the cover is closed, it stops charging.  But I am not sure if this happens all the time. There are times the phone is fully charged overnight with the cover closed and at times, didn't charge. But still it is frustrating and can't find the reason to fix. 

code72
Explorer
Options

Same issue here...

parkand
Apprentice
Options

After all, this was an easy fix for me. NFC needs to be on in order for the LED cover to work. You can turn NFC on by the drop down setting or go into the setting mode. Once it is turned on, you will need to power your phone off and turn it back on. This will now work.

What I did was, I turned off the NFC and the LED cover stopped working. But turning the NFC back on does not automatically fixed the connection issue with the cover and the phone. Good luck.

0 Likes
cs_tan
First Poster
Options

NFC does not need to be turned on for the LED cover to work for me.

I have the same issue. Once there is notification,  the wireless charging stops intermittently and show on the LED cover that you have notification.

So my solution is to clear all notification before wireless charging.

I guess if you will receive notification during the charging, the issue will come back.

Hope Samsung will fix this. Once the LED cover is closed. The phone should not keep trying to tell me there is unread notification. Or maybe there is a setings that I have not found that make the phone to alert the user less often like maybe once every 30min or 60min etc?

0 Likes
Flip2k
First Poster
Options

Well to my understanding, the led cover is supplied with power via the same antenna that does the inductive charging. Therefore, to emit power into the led cover(which it does for example when closing the cover or getting notifications) it has to turn its function from receiving to sending, stopping the chargint while doing that because it cant do both things at rhe same time.....    Or am i wrong?

Gammanick
Apprentice
Options

It seems there is no fix to it. I think it has to do with the way the cover is powered. Either cover and charger use the same port (sort of speaking) and it does one or the other aparentely.

It is frustraiting, and I don't know if i would have bought the charging station if I new about it. The only thing I (we) can do is open the cover when you drop it on charge. 

Unfortunately my Note 9 has not a specific setting to pause notifications during charging... 

It is a right pain in the ....

0 Likes
Gammanick
Apprentice
Options

NFC has nothing to do with the problem.

0 Likes
Gammanick
Apprentice
Options

I think you are right. Unless samsung come with a setting that cut of the cover while charging this is not fixable.

0 Likes