Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect to SmartTag

(Topic created on: 03-02-2021 01:02 PM)
Eli85
Explorer
Options

Can anyone help me out? I'm getting really frustrated, I've tried numerous times to set up my new smart tag and my phone acknowledges the device etc and i get to a certain stage and percentage in SmartThings when i will get a Bluetooth error. I have also reset it numerous times and just cant get no where with it. Please help!! Thank you. 

Screenshot_20210129-125233_SmartThings.jpg

44 REPLIES 44
Eli85
Explorer
Options
Samsung support emailed me back with this advice. It didn't work for me so I've sent a system log and description of the error. It might help for one of you though.

Since this might be caused by an internal software issue that has not been properly updated with the software update and the new Smart Things version, please follow the steps below in order to try to solve the issue:

Go to Settings > Apps > Smart Things > tap Force stop > Storage > Clear Cache, Clear Data.

Should this not work, please contact us again for further investigations, and we will do everything in our power to solve your issues as quickly as possible. Also, for us to have a better understanding on the matter, you can send us your error reports from Smart Things > Menu button (three lines) > Contact us > Error reports > Select the type of device that you encounter issues with ( for example: TV) – if you device does not show in the list, just press on “Continue”. Here, a new page with FAQs will show up, so please just scroll down to the bottom of the page and select Contact us > Write a few details about your inquiry (if you wish) and make sure before you send the system logs that the “Send system log files” box is checked.

IanJW
First Poster
Options

Got the same problem. Frustratingly my wife and I both got S21s with smarttags on the same day. Hers connected in seconds, and my tag connects to her phone with no problem so it's not a tag issue. When I try it consistently fails with the "couldn't connect to the smarttag service" message. 

Tried clearing smartthings cache and data with no change

0 Likes
Eli85
Explorer
Options
Thanks. I checked on my partners S21 Ultra and its also giving the same issue. I get this far (see screenshot) and then get the problem with devices Bluetooth error.

I've checked all the settings etc cleared cache/data, reset the tag and no joy. I'm tempted to reset the phone and tag and try from the start again but it's probably something simple. I'm hoping anyway.

Screenshot_20210131-114251_SmartThings_24276.jpg

0 Likes
Ekthorn
Explorer
Options
Tried these steps but didn't help for me either. Thanks for posting, have also submitted error report
0 Likes
SpannaMunky
Apprentice
Options
Has anyone had a solution for this from the error reports they logged? I got the same old "try clearing the cache" response, which I've done several times.
I think its probably going to have to be resigned to a drawer and I'll carry on using my Tile at this point.
0 Likes
Eli85
Explorer
Options
Nope, i also keep getting the same email back. Very frustrating. I've just opened a window for Samsung chat so I'm waiting for someone to come online. I'm not holding my breathe though. Will keep this thread updated with any advice they send.
Eli85
Explorer
Options

Well, that was as much use as a chocolate teapot. I was told to plug the device into the wall and wait for the led blinking to stop.... 😐 when I informed them (again) this was a SmartTag which had neither an LED light or a plug I was sent the repair website which might have been helpful if it listed SmartTags or at least my phone model (S21) but it didnt. I was then advised to visit my local repair store... which also might have been helpful except they're shut at the minute 😕 I was then asked to call 0330 726 7467 and they may arrange a replacement. 

Updates to follow... 😬

0 Likes
Eli85
Explorer
Options

#1: First advisor didn't know what a SmartTag was.

#2. Second advisor was very helpful and agreed i needed a replacement, put me through to the promotions team.

#3. Third advisor asked me for my claim ID which i don't have as the tag and buds were delivered along with the phone, was put through to another department.

#4 They hung up....

#5.  Got through to someone else who was amazed that the tag and buds came with the phone and that i didn't have to make a claim but also agreed i would need a replacement, put me through to sales.

#6. Sales team transferred me to the tech team who then hung up again... 

0 Likes
SpannaMunky
Apprentice
Options
Bonkers. Absolutely awful customer service. I get that it was a freebie but there's at least 5 of us on here with the same/similar issues and nobody from Samsung has commented bar the first guy (who I don't know if works for Samsung or is just a mod) on Day1.
Eli85
Explorer
Options
Yeah exactly. I don't think they have a clue. After being hung up on four times I've given up for the day. Might try again tomorrow if my sanity remains intact lol shame though, I had a few friends really interested in actually buying these for their keys, pets etc but after this hassle they're thinking twice.
0 Likes