Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S Pen as accessibility

(Topic created on: 17-07-2023 09:37 PM)
NoteUltraFan
Pathfinder
Options

The S Pen is a wonderful tool included or compatible with select Galaxy phone,  but for people with various physical limitations,  it helps with the use of their devices.  My disabilities and arthritis makes it difficult to use my fingers on a touch screen and I find it easier to write than type, but what many might not know is for amputees and similar disabilities including paralysis, it can accommodate those people too. I saw a news story several years back of someone born as a quadruple amputee that used their S pen on their Galaxy Note with their mouth. They have something you can put the S pen in to be able to do that.  Another person with no upper limbs used their S pen with their foot as well.  

I also use the Air Gestures such as using it as a shutter button to take photos too. 

The biggest downside with devices that have S pens is they are priced at a price many people living with these disabilities cannot afford and government programs don't usually supply these people with them.  But for many,  it makes a difference to have a phone with S Pen, including myself.  

4 REPLIES 4
AntS
Options
0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@NoteUltraFan   Thanks for your input , glad to know that the S Pen is so beneficial for those with physical ailments. I was not aware of how adaptable the S pen was for amputees.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
NoteUltraFan
Pathfinder
Options

You're welcome,  it allows others to see how Samsung's S Pen helps those with physical limitations.  I'm thinking of crocheting a lanyard case for my S Pen for my Galaxy Tab S6 Lite so I can keep better track of it since I use that one the most with my Note 20 5G and Note, as it's more rounded and ergonomic for my hands.  I literally walk around the grocery store checking off things with it and writing things down.  I also draw or color while waiting in line using my S pen and while eating out or with family.  My family knows my Galaxy Note is assistive tech so they let me use it at meals even when others aren't supposed to use their phones.  I had my doctor put a note in my chart saying that I need my Galaxy and S pen with me as assistive tech and emotional support if staying in hospital.  My Note 20 5G is also emotional support when my emotional support animals can't be with me.  I just bought a waterproof case from Amazon so I can safely use my Note 20 while in my spa and at the beach since it helps me so much.  I also purchase ebooks and movies on my Note so I can not only read and watch TV on the go,  as I prefer ebooks as reading on my Note is more accommodating with S pen due to poor vision and my disabilities.  

0 Likes
NoteUltraFan
Pathfinder
Options

I didn't know either until I saw it on the news,  several years ago and it was before I had my Note 3. I'm also so knowledgeable about S pen that friends and family members with their S Ultra phones that use it ask me to show them stuff, and I show people unique things it can do.  My dexterity issues are slowly progressing which is why I had to go with a Note. I had to quit doing phone repair due to my hands.  I rebuilt my brother's Note 3 in 2014, and when my mother had hers, it was his extra replacement Verizon didn't want back after finding out I fixed his broken Note 3. It only takes my 1-3 times to use the instructions to take a device apart and I can memorize how.  I can't write it out tell someone step by step but can do it without instructions after a few times. 

0 Likes