Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung S7 oreo update issues

(Topic created on: 01-05-2018 06:10 PM)
fredblogg
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I downloaded the new update this morning and started the install on my galazy S7 it is now 9 HOURS LATER and it is still installing !! whats going on with this thing my phone is now useless can't do anything with it !!!

Andy

0 Likes
91 REPLIES 91
Cov
Journeyman
Options

DId you try power + vol-down while it was charging. If not charging that did a soft reset for me but if charging it did a shut down. I found it on the Samsung website, hidden away somewhere

0 Likes
Spanishtrain
First Poster
Options

I had exactly the same problem. However mine froze on the Samsung opening screen. All i could do was turn phone off. The update just seems to freeze. When i turned it back on, it would say updating 62 out of 65... I turned phone off, turned it back on,using safe mode (power button and volume button held down at same time) once in safe mode, i left my phone alone. The update finally completed after 3 minutes. I was then able to turn the safe mode off. My phone has worked fine since :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Spanishtrain
First Poster
Options

I had exactly the same problem. However mine froze on the Samsung opening screen. All i could do was turn phone off. The update just seems to freeze. When i turned it back on, it would say updating 62 out of 65... I turned phone off, turned it back on,using safe mode (power button and volume button held down at same time) once in safe mode, i left my phone alone. The update finally completed after 3 minutes. I was then able to turn the safe mode off. My phone has worked fine since :smiling-face:

0 Likes
MR-JDAM
Student
Options

Hi there, 

Apologies, I know this is not a solution to your problem, however I have been having the same issue and thought best to sign up and vent about it, in the hopes that if most of us do it,. Samsung might respond. 

I updated earlier to the ( Oreao ) version I think its called. After about 25 minuets stuck on the 'Samsung' loading screen I suspected something was wrong. I have not been able to get past this now, and we are currently at around 3 hours. Safe mode will not boot properly, and I am at a lost. I find it convienient that this update has worked for some and not others, especially since my phone contract ran out this month. I am not one to believe in coincidence, but blimey ! 

I guess I will have to wait until the battery dies, however after reading other comments, this does not fill me with much hope. Hope people can get theirs working soon !

All the best, 

JDAM

0 Likes
Spanishtrain
First Poster
Options

Sorry to hear your still having problems. Please try loading safe mode again. -(It took me 8 attempts before it would load up and stay on safe mode) prior to that it would revert back to the Samsung flashing in middle of screen. I think it was because i wasnt quick enough holding down both buttons at the same time.

0 Likes
Calvin1
First Poster
Options

Unfortunately I have the same problem. Samsung have been terrible with customer service. Through no fault of our own, we have all suffered a loss of data including video, photos, contacts and so on. I have been in contact with customer services four times waiting for a manager to call me back but no call. I am now considering legal action through the small claims court. The cost is minimal, and as I see it, how can Samsung defend the loss caused to so many. I suggest others do the same and also contact their local press to raise awareness. 

A similar thing happened with apple in 2015 and a chap took them to court for loss of data and won damages of 1200 plus court costs. 

I won't let this go.

MR-JDAM
Student
Options
Hey Calvin1, Spanishtrain

Thanks for your reply's ! Sorry to hear you are having the same issue as and many others. I have got the phone working, but sadly I lost all photos and videos in the process. I restarted the phone until I saw the 'Samsung s7 edge' logo, then held ( Middle button, Power button, and volume up ) this takes you to a blue install screen which fails, however after around 15 seconds, you have some options available to you. Here you are able to format. I lost all my stuff and i'm gutted. Holidays last year all gone. All because Samsungs QA team messed up.

Hope people can find another way, if not, then I hope the above works for you as well.

All the best,

JDAM
0 Likes
PHILLIPD1234
First Poster
Options

Hi 

I first posted Friday 4th May when my phone was locked up, I finally did a factory reset which set it working again. It is still not right ie swiping left on the contacts does not bring up messages as does swiping right does not call.

The camera is in basic mode with none of the modes like Panorama. I want to get it working properly..

0 Likes
mjm2705
Student
Options

Does anyone know how to initiate a hard (factory) reset while the phone is stuck in the boot loop?

Mine doesn't appear to want to switch off and therefore the usual Home -Vol Up- Power combo doesnt appear to work!

Happy to wipe it to get it working but it won't let me!!!

0 Likes
fredblogg
Apprentice
Options

Restarted the phone until the 'Samsung s7' logo, then hold ( Middle button, volume up and Power button) this takes you to a blue install screen which fails, but after around 15 seconds, you have some options available to you. Here you are able to format your phone, use the volume up and down buttons to choose your option then press the power button.

0 Likes