Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When finished recording a workout, Strava sync can sometimes take hours

(Topic created on: 23-05-2018 07:56 PM)
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I have my Samsung health app (on the phone) set to sync with Strava. So whenever i record a workout (Cycling, running, walking etc), when the workout is completed, Samsung Health is meant to sync the data with strava.

I have a regular problem where the sync can sometimes take 12 hours approx.

This is an inconvenience because i like to finish my workout then look at the activity straight after in Strava.

I have tried these steps in order to 'force' a Strava sync but it doesn't work:
- Clearing the app's cache
- Force stopping the app and re opening
- Uninstalling the Samsung health updates and reinstalling them / re set the app back up.

I have also recently done a factory reset of the phone in order to fix another issue i was having...the issue survived that.

I am using a gear sport SM-R600NZKABTU

The phone I am using it with is a galaxy S8 plus SM-G955F.

The watch software version is:

Tizen 3.0.0.2

R600XXU1ARC4

Phone software version:

Android 8.0.0

Baseband: G955FXXU1CRD1

Gear app 2.2.20.17113061

Gear plugin 2.2.03.18041051

The gear manager, Samsung health and the watch are all up to date.

My friend has the same issue using a gear s3 with a note 7.

Currently, in order to sync straight away i am resorting to manually exporting the GPX file to the strava website.

This issue is intermittant.

238 REPLIES 238
Stuy76
Explorer
Options
I think Garmin have been having their own issues lately but have to agree on the syncing. It is far worse now, I've given up on it doing it automatically and manually transfer everything using the GPX file. I'll be replacing my tracker in the spring and Samsung is off the list.

Regards an error report, how would you generate that?
0 Likes
Dylan79
Student
Options

All,

There is a fix for this and all the issues with using the built in Samsung running app or the Strava app and that is to find and download an app called Gear Tracker. Its just under £4 and the best money I've spent and means I no longer want to throw the watch in the bin after every run. It gives real average running speeds, provides instant uploads to strava every time and has a very active development team who are runners and know exactly what is needed from a running watch. There is also an active FB page where you can speak to them and suggest changes, updates, fixes etc. The app is also highly customisable with loads of options and does other sports as well although not used any other than running as yet.

I have no connection with the app but it has transformed my enjoyment of the watch and stopped me going back to using my 6 year old Garmin so highly suggest you give it a go.

Stuy76
Explorer
Options
Maybe Samsung should poach their programmers??

I have found for some reason reconnecting my watch to my phone by bluetooth initiates updating Strava. I switch BT off at night, switched it back on at about 11.30 today and my run from yesterday was suddenly ready to view.

If the run is already on S Health app on my phone, why would it not update Strava on my phone until a BT connection with the watch is established?
Tarpsnick
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the info, however I cant find this app on the Google app store. Could it have another name, or could u post a link?

0 Likes
Jethro77
Journeyman
Options

^Um, Gear Tracker's a native Tizen app that runs on the Gear S3 & Galaxy Watch etc.

Why would it be in the Google Store? Try searching the Galaxy Apps Store...

Turner83
First Poster
Options
This worked instantly for me just now. Great suggestion. Thanks
0 Likes
Vinces
First Poster
Options
I Found ridiculous that we have to download a "external App" like Gear Tracker because Samsung is not doing his job. My strava is not getting any update from healht and de GPX files has bad measuremens.
0 Likes
dmmcd
Apprentice
Options

I have the same issue. I am using a Gear S2 (still works great, no need to update yet...), Samsung Heath v6.1.1.001, Strava v 86.0.1. I run average of 6 days a week. I just started using Strava in 2019, but have many years of data stored in SHealth. 

At first, my morning runs (if completed before 7:00 am) would sync immediately. Any later morning or afternoon runs would sync around 8:00 pm (EST). The last week or so, all runs seem to take many hours to sync. Yesterday my morning run popped up randomly around 2:00 pm. Still waiting for today's run to sync. 

I don't want to abandon SHealth since I have so much data in there, and I wanted to use Strava for the additional analysis and social aspect of it. Not the end of the world, but just really annoying when people I'm running with are commenting on and comparing their runs, while I have to wait until later that night or the next day to view and share my data.

Also noticed that the data is different when it gets ported over to Strava, they must filter the GPS data differently as distances and pacing is usually off by a bit when compared to SHealth.

0 Likes
D_a_n_i
Journeyman
Options

This month I just started to use on my gear s3 Endomondo because of GPS problems by using Samsung Health (didn't get GPS signal when I started my activity, every time I had to restart Samsung Health to get GPS …) and sync problems with Strava. Endomondo supports more sports and GPS works 1st time when I start to cicle…! Thumbs down for Samsung Health, I would like to use it but it’s to stressful for me with all this not working or unsupported features!

0 Likes
Fanor_Bonilla1
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

There is a new Strava app for the gear fit 2 pro. This app syncs directly with strava by wifi without using samsung health.

I download it from the galxy app store and is working fine so far.