Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When finished recording a workout, Strava sync can sometimes take hours

(Topic created on: 08-11-2018 10:27 PM)
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I have my Samsung health app (on the phone) set to sync with Strava. So whenever i record a workout (Cycling, running, walking etc), when the workout is completed, Samsung Health is meant to sync the data with strava.

I have a regular problem where the sync can sometimes take 12 hours approx.

This is an inconvenience because i like to finish my workout then look at the activity straight after in Strava.

I have tried these steps in order to 'force' a Strava sync but it doesn't work:
- Clearing the app's cache
- Force stopping the app and re opening
- Uninstalling the Samsung health updates and reinstalling them / re set the app back up.

I have also recently done a factory reset of the phone in order to fix another issue i was having...the issue survived that.

I am using a gear sport SM-R600NZKABTU

The phone I am using it with is a galaxy S8 plus SM-G955F.

The watch software version is:

Tizen 3.0.0.2

R600XXU1ARC4

Phone software version:

Android 8.0.0

Baseband: G955FXXU1CRD1

Gear app 2.2.20.17113061

Gear plugin 2.2.03.18041051

The gear manager, Samsung health and the watch are all up to date.

My friend has the same issue using a gear s3 with a note 7.

Currently, in order to sync straight away i am resorting to manually exporting the GPX file to the strava website.

This issue is intermittant.

238 REPLIES 238
Frnkld
First Poster
Options

Having strava sync problems too. I found something that seems to work... I went for a hike in the morning and a ride in the evening. When I started my ride the hike still hadn't synced to strava. But when I finished my ride both synced within a minute. 

I've tried this a few times, record a test activity (just a few seconds), when it fails to sync in about a minute record another one. It seems to work fairly consistently, but note that you should do the test recordings from your phone, because you apparently can't delete items from the exercise log on the watch (why?!). 

arew
Journeyman
Options

This workaround unfortunately didn't work for me... Tried doing a "dummy" workout both on watch and phone. No effect. Deleting it a bit later also seems to have no effect.

0 Likes
Damian78
Pioneer
Options

I can confirm it's nothing to do with Strava Premium. I didn't have it for a long time and always synched within minutes from my Garmin. I do now have Summit but still Samsung Health doesn't work.

I've now started using Wahoo as I'm using a Turbo trainer for indoor cycling (and neither Strava nor Samsung Health will track this without GPS, even with the speed and cadence sensors linked both want to use GPS only for tracking speed and distance). It syncs within a second of finishing a session every single time.

Shame Samsung can't do this.

0 Likes
arew
Journeyman
Options

Thank heavens for Run4Gear (http://run4gear.com/index.html) - it supports export to Strava, and although it seems to require a manual step, at least I can just do a few taps and have my workout exported to Strava right away. It is better than waiting an unpredictable amout of time for the workout to show up.

0 Likes
Stuy76
Explorer
Options

It seemed to have been resolved a couple of months ago but noticed it going wrong again a week ago. Checked the Strava developers site and sure enough, they have "improved" the token and OAuthorisation system on the 15th October. Back to square one! 

Hyde1990
First Poster
Options

Any update?

Still having this issue, it's crazy they haven't fixed this yet... won't be long until I move to Garmin or elsewhere.

0 Likes
Lerm
Explorer
Options
Nope. And I'm afraid nor will there be.

Samsung have no interest in helping their customers use other software services instead of their own (inferior) versions.

They'll be losing my custom as well
BaakaNinja
First Poster
Options

Same problem for me as well, why won't samsung deal with this?

mtcerio
Student
Options

Also, where are all the Samsung staff/mods who, before the update to version 6 came out, were saying that version 6 would have fixed it? Can they comment now?

CMagina
First Poster
Options

I have the same smart watch and the same problem. I have installed today the strava application for Samsung gear S3 frontier. Tomorrow I will try the strava app on the watch. 

Best regards 

Carlos Magina

0 Likes