Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When finished recording a workout, Strava sync can sometimes take hours

(Topic created on: 18-09-2018 09:27 AM)
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I have my Samsung health app (on the phone) set to sync with Strava. So whenever i record a workout (Cycling, running, walking etc), when the workout is completed, Samsung Health is meant to sync the data with strava.

I have a regular problem where the sync can sometimes take 12 hours approx.

This is an inconvenience because i like to finish my workout then look at the activity straight after in Strava.

I have tried these steps in order to 'force' a Strava sync but it doesn't work:
- Clearing the app's cache
- Force stopping the app and re opening
- Uninstalling the Samsung health updates and reinstalling them / re set the app back up.

I have also recently done a factory reset of the phone in order to fix another issue i was having...the issue survived that.

I am using a gear sport SM-R600NZKABTU

The phone I am using it with is a galaxy S8 plus SM-G955F.

The watch software version is:

Tizen 3.0.0.2

R600XXU1ARC4

Phone software version:

Android 8.0.0

Baseband: G955FXXU1CRD1

Gear app 2.2.20.17113061

Gear plugin 2.2.03.18041051

The gear manager, Samsung health and the watch are all up to date.

My friend has the same issue using a gear s3 with a note 7.

Currently, in order to sync straight away i am resorting to manually exporting the GPX file to the strava website.

This issue is intermittant.

238 REPLIES 238
Formain
Student
Options

I had the same problem after updating to version 6, when it didn't sync my next run. It seems the problem was that the update logged me out of the Strave link in settings. Going into shealth, Settings, connected settings and loging into strave fixed the problem for me.

My only gripe at the moment is that Strave truncates my distances by 200 m when they sync data from shealth so if anyone has a fix for that please share.

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi Formain,

Yes I had to do the same thing to resolve. So far so good but I'm not saying it's fixed until I've had a few workouts sync without fail.

0 Likes
TechnoSpaz
Journeyman
Options

I know this isn't be a good piece of information, but my Samsung Gear Frontier has been syncing as it used to - WHEN I updated phone my S7 to an S9. I hope there is a special kinda hell for the people in the electronics world that make their own products obsolete to drive sells.

Next time I'm going Garmin (although they probably do the same thing)

Lerm
Explorer
Options

So it seems after all that, 'version 6' of Samsung Health made no difference at all and nobody from Samsung has come back to address the issue for months.

Like a growing number of folk on here, this will be the end of the road for me and Samsung; I've stuck with them and tried to make the Gear S3 work, but they have shown absolute apathy for their paying customers once you've bought their product. Their myopic decision to run Tizen has crippled their very well made and very capable wearables, limiting the support they get from vendors (ie we can't even get an official Strava app, amongst many others) . And then when a vendor does actually try and support them by offering to sync to their android app from Samsung Health.....Samsung creates and then utterly ignores a simple issue which is ruining the experience for thousands of users.

They don't care because they want you to use only their app, and if they can make it as un-user-friendly as possible to use other services you'll have no choice but to give in. Well instead, I'm goign to give in and get an Android wearable instead. Huawei offer a cheaper, more flexible and just as capable product which isn't hamstrung by Tizen or Samsungs desire to rule customer options with an iron fist.

0 Likes
Lerm
Explorer
Options

[This post was originally removed/rejected as 'spam' (I wonder why...?) so I'm reposting it until it sticks]

So it seems after all that, 'version 6' of Samsung Health made no difference at all and nobody from Samsung has come back to address the issue for months.

Like a growing number of folk on here, this will be the end of the road for me and Samsung; I've stuck with them and tried to make the Gear S3 work, but they have shown absolute apathy for their paying customers once you've bought their product. Their myopic decision to run Tizen has crippled their very well made and very capable wearables, limiting the support they get from vendors (ie we can't even get an official Strava app, amongst many others) . And then when a vendor does actually try and support them by offering to sync to their android app from Samsung Health.....Samsung creates and then utterly ignores a simple issue which is ruining the experience for thousands of users.

They don't care because they want you to use only their app, and if they can make it as un-user-friendly as possible to use other services you'll have no choice but to give in. Well instead, I'm goign to give in and get an Android wearable instead. Huawei offer a cheaper, more flexible and just as capable product which isn't hamstrung by Tizen or Samsungs desire to rule customer options with an iron fist.

Damian78
Pioneer
Options

Well this is disappointing to read 😞 

Just recorded my first activity on Samsung Health on my Galaxy S7 since connecting to Strava earlier today. As I'm just starting my recovery from a heart attack suffered a couple of weeks ago whilst riding my bike, I've bought myself a Garmin heart rate monitor (chest strap type). I was trying to track directly in Strava, and signed up to their Summit service so I could analyse heart rate info. Unfortunately although I've paired my monitor with Strava it refuses to record my heart rate.

So I decided that as Samsung Health does this reliably, I'd use this to track my walks, then it can sync with Strava and pass all my heart rate info through (I'm assuming it does this when auto syncing?). Just went out for a short walk, set Samsung Health running, got back, not syncing with Strava. Quick Google search comes up with this conversation. Wonderful, so still I can't get my heart rate info into Strava. 

I ready earlier in this thread that manually exporting to GPX and importing into Strava doesn't pass through heart rate info - is this still correct?

For info, I've been using a Garmin cycle computer for years, and have Google Connect linked up with Strava, however, very regularly this goes down as well and can take hours/days to sync activities across. Very frustrating when it happens. However, from reading this conversation it doesn't look like it's as bad as Samsung Health. 

Unfortunately my Garmin only records bike rides (Garmin Edge 25), there is no way to get it to record walks. However, I am going to try on my next walk using the Garmin, then when it sync's with Garmin Connect change the activity from Ride to Walk and see if it recalculates everything. 

It would be good if Samsung could sort this issue out though. 

0 Likes
ewu
Apprentice
Options
I don't have GPS button either. Any idea?
0 Likes
DAVIDJHB
First Poster
Options

How do you upload other exercises to strava like the eliptical trainer step, machine, exercise bike etc?

0 Likes
daath
Explorer
Options

I just got my Galaxy Watch 46mm and went for a run. GPS works fairly well, HR stopped working after a few minutes, and Strava hasn't synced yet - it's been a few hours.

I must admit that my Garmin Vivoactive 3 works *so* much better for fitness. GPS is fast, HR is usually spot on and Strava is synced a couple of minutes after my activities.

I'm kind of disappointed in this watch so far 😕 Is there any hope that it will become better? This thread is kinda old now 😕

m4tthall
Explorer
Options
Bit concerned by this as well. I just bought a Galaxy Watch 46" and am really enjoying it so far. However, the HR, although on always, is hanging every now and again. I haven't gone for a run yet but was hoping this would replace my Garmin Forerunner, which had accurate HR and synced with Strava with no problem. So, reading this my heart has sunk a little. Do these watches not sync with Strava like the Garmin?