Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When finished recording a workout, Strava sync can sometimes take hours

(Topic created on: 25-06-2018 10:09 PM)
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I have my Samsung health app (on the phone) set to sync with Strava. So whenever i record a workout (Cycling, running, walking etc), when the workout is completed, Samsung Health is meant to sync the data with strava.

I have a regular problem where the sync can sometimes take 12 hours approx.

This is an inconvenience because i like to finish my workout then look at the activity straight after in Strava.

I have tried these steps in order to 'force' a Strava sync but it doesn't work:
- Clearing the app's cache
- Force stopping the app and re opening
- Uninstalling the Samsung health updates and reinstalling them / re set the app back up.

I have also recently done a factory reset of the phone in order to fix another issue i was having...the issue survived that.

I am using a gear sport SM-R600NZKABTU

The phone I am using it with is a galaxy S8 plus SM-G955F.

The watch software version is:

Tizen 3.0.0.2

R600XXU1ARC4

Phone software version:

Android 8.0.0

Baseband: G955FXXU1CRD1

Gear app 2.2.20.17113061

Gear plugin 2.2.03.18041051

The gear manager, Samsung health and the watch are all up to date.

My friend has the same issue using a gear s3 with a note 7.

Currently, in order to sync straight away i am resorting to manually exporting the GPX file to the strava website.

This issue is intermittant.

238 REPLIES 238
LiamH
Pathfinder
Options

@Ricky2

We've located what we think the issue is and have made some changes as a result. These changes should be visible within the Samsung Health 6.0 app update. 

Hope that helps!

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi LiamH,

Excellent! Thank you. I will keep an eye out for the update.

0 Likes
Caitlin
Apprentice
Options

@Ricky2 wrote:

Hi ICJ,

Thanks for contributing to this thread.

1. In Samsung health if you view the workout then scroll down to the bottom you will see export to GPX. You can then upload that file direct to the Strava website.

I'm missing the export to GPX button 😞

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Screenshot_20180614-220621_Samsung Health.jpg

Hi Caitlin,

This may help.

0 Likes
TechnoSpaz
Journeyman
Options

I was having the same thing, then I realized I 'touched' the wrong thing (remember when we had buttons to click)... anyway, I found it - touch the Goal ring at the top of home screen. Then scroll to the bottom of that screen and find your run (mine has Gear S3 noted). Touch your run and that will take you to the screen (that Ricky2 replied with) with the [Save GPX] button (yay, a button). I'm sure there are other ways to this screen. 

I had the same frustration you did - I would click activity log (logical place for past activity) - I could see my run, but no GPX export.

[RANT]

SHealth has been horrible since sometime last fall. I bragged to all my Apple fiends, er friends, how awesome my Samsung stuff was and that it just worked. And then Samsung messed it up. I really hope SHealth v6 fixes all this AND soon. Thanks for this thread and Ricky2 for pointing to API calls. I figure it was something alongs those lines, since Gear links right away to SHealth. SHealth just doesn't wanna tell Strava.

[/RANT]

Caitlin
Apprentice
Options

With S5 i have the export button. But with the S7 it's nowhere to findS7S7S5 miniS5 mini

0 Likes
TheRunningCam
First Poster
Options

Hi TechnoSpaz,

Could you post screenshots of what you mean by this? Not sure what you mean about the goal ring.

Finding the Strava syncing issues so frustrating and in the past I would export my GPX file but suddenly that button has dissapeared as discussed here!

SAMSUNG, JUST DO US ALL A FAVOUR AND TEAM UP WITH STRAVA!

0 Likes
TechnoSpaz
Journeyman
Options

Samsung Health.pngHere is a quick path to the GPX that I use. I believe I'm on v5.2. I had to go to trends to get to a prior day's run. I have been sitting at desk most of today.

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Love the screenshots TechnoSpaz... well done! :smileyhappy:

TonyB2
Student
Options
Any idea when this is due please? Having major problems with the sync from watch to Strava.
0 Likes