Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When finished recording a workout, Strava sync can sometimes take hours

(Topic created on: 30-03-2020 04:22 PM)
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I have my Samsung health app (on the phone) set to sync with Strava. So whenever i record a workout (Cycling, running, walking etc), when the workout is completed, Samsung Health is meant to sync the data with strava.

I have a regular problem where the sync can sometimes take 12 hours approx.

This is an inconvenience because i like to finish my workout then look at the activity straight after in Strava.

I have tried these steps in order to 'force' a Strava sync but it doesn't work:
- Clearing the app's cache
- Force stopping the app and re opening
- Uninstalling the Samsung health updates and reinstalling them / re set the app back up.

I have also recently done a factory reset of the phone in order to fix another issue i was having...the issue survived that.

I am using a gear sport SM-R600NZKABTU

The phone I am using it with is a galaxy S8 plus SM-G955F.

The watch software version is:

Tizen 3.0.0.2

R600XXU1ARC4

Phone software version:

Android 8.0.0

Baseband: G955FXXU1CRD1

Gear app 2.2.20.17113061

Gear plugin 2.2.03.18041051

The gear manager, Samsung health and the watch are all up to date.

My friend has the same issue using a gear s3 with a note 7.

Currently, in order to sync straight away i am resorting to manually exporting the GPX file to the strava website.

This issue is intermittant.

238 REPLIES 238
dmmcd
Apprentice
Options

I am still using a Gear S2 also! It still works great, but the battery is starting to decline. I had it die about 3 1/2 hours into a 4 hour run this past weekend.

In Samsung Health, go to Settings >> Connected services.  Strava shows up for me, with a toggle switch. Make sure the toggle is on... for some reason it switches itself off sometimes. When you switch it on, it takes you to Strava where you have to agree to some terms and conditions.

For the last several months, I have had no problems with immediate sync between Samsung Health and Strava. 

0 Likes
dmmcd
Apprentice
Options

Also to clarify, it will update NEW workouts to Strava once connected. It does not sync your old workouts. If you want to import your old workouts, that has to be done manually...

0 Likes
Goldman1
Apprentice
Options
@dmmcd - Thanks, I have tried as you suggest several times, but nothing happens. I have agreed to all questions...
0 Likes
Goldman1
Apprentice
Options
And yes, it is brand new workouts, both running and biking :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Goldman1
Apprentice
Options

After fiddling around I found another app, Gear Tracker, and the integration with Strava works perfect - I really suggest anyone serious about tracking their training in Gear to download and use that app instead!!

0 Likes
Chelli35
Pioneer
Options

All my mates are on Strava. Mine uploads straight away after i completed the re sign in to strava via the healhh app

0 Likes
xian_JR
Apprentice
Options

Holy smokes! 4 hours of running? Are you training for marathon or something???

I don't think many watches can endure that long. Theres a review done (by British tech site, on YouTube) that compares Garmin, Samsung and Apple during 30km(?) run and Samsung was pretty good in battery life. Of course apple was the worst. Ive had Fenix3 Sapphire +hrm, and vivoactive HR, vivoactive 3, and they aren't very good in battery life neither, especially for that long run. Only keeping VA3 for golf now. 

As for the Strava, it sometimes takes a while, but most of the time it's instant. Last week, it didn't upload any, and when checked, the option to link with strava was off somehow - just like you described. Maybe a security thing or a glitch???. So had to reauthorize. After that it took a day for the past two weeks of activities to load. 

@dmmcd wrote:

I am still using a Gear S2 also! It still works great, but the battery is starting to decline. I had it die about 3 1/2 hours into a 4 hour run this past weekend.

In Samsung Health, go to Settings >> Connected services.  Strava shows up for me, with a toggle switch. Make sure the toggle is on... for some reason it switches itself off sometimes. When you switch it on, it takes you to Strava where you have to agree to some terms and conditions.

For the last several months, I have had no problems with immediate sync between Samsung Health and Strava. 

0 Likes
xian_JR
Apprentice
Options
Strange, mine uploaded past activities to strava once reconnected.
Scenario was that the link to strava was off somehow, and when reauthorized the sync inbetween, it took a day to sync the past two weeks of activities.
0 Likes
Stuy76
Explorer
Options

The final nail for my Samsung Gear Active was it failed to finish recording a 7 hour ultra marathon and lost the 6 hours it did track. I now use a Garmin 645 which will track 8 hours on standard settings and up to 24 hours when you tweak everything on ultra track. Also syncs flawlessly with Strava....

It's good to see Samsung finally improving it but I'm now of the opinion it's a heavily compromised smart watch with fitness tracking capabilities as opposed to an out and out fitness tracker. The software with Garmin is also a lot more powerful for guiding your training. 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dmmcd wrote:

Also to clarify, it will update NEW workouts to Strava once connected. It does not sync your old workouts. If you want to import your old workouts, that has to be done manually...

How do you manully import old Samsung Health activities into Strava?

0 Likes