Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When finished recording a workout, Strava sync can sometimes take hours

(Topic created on: 30-11-2019 09:00 PM)
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I have my Samsung health app (on the phone) set to sync with Strava. So whenever i record a workout (Cycling, running, walking etc), when the workout is completed, Samsung Health is meant to sync the data with strava.

I have a regular problem where the sync can sometimes take 12 hours approx.

This is an inconvenience because i like to finish my workout then look at the activity straight after in Strava.

I have tried these steps in order to 'force' a Strava sync but it doesn't work:
- Clearing the app's cache
- Force stopping the app and re opening
- Uninstalling the Samsung health updates and reinstalling them / re set the app back up.

I have also recently done a factory reset of the phone in order to fix another issue i was having...the issue survived that.

I am using a gear sport SM-R600NZKABTU

The phone I am using it with is a galaxy S8 plus SM-G955F.

The watch software version is:

Tizen 3.0.0.2

R600XXU1ARC4

Phone software version:

Android 8.0.0

Baseband: G955FXXU1CRD1

Gear app 2.2.20.17113061

Gear plugin 2.2.03.18041051

The gear manager, Samsung health and the watch are all up to date.

My friend has the same issue using a gear s3 with a note 7.

Currently, in order to sync straight away i am resorting to manually exporting the GPX file to the strava website.

This issue is intermittant.

238 REPLIES 238
xian_JR
Apprentice
Options

Good observation!

My Garmins do that too (Fenix 3, Vivoactive 3, and other bands) with Strava and Virgin Health Miles app, and so does my Fitbit. It is not only the Samsung watch issue, I believe. 

Some apps need the GPS turned on the phone to sync, and set battery optimization off etc to work properly. Even after that, my Garmin did not sync my activities at all, and neither did it upload on Strava. I'm speculating it has to do with Strava??? (I think Strava is tossing blames on hardware developers just my two cent conspiracy.)

0 Likes
xian_JR
Apprentice
Options

What I've done so far, is to unlink Samsung Health App and Strava App from each apps respectively, go to apps setting and erase  cache, force stop, then uninstall; reboot phone, turn on GPS on the phone, reinstall, re-sign in, link Samsung Health app and Strava app to each other respectively, and it's synced. Pain, but it works for me.

0 Likes
Robf230
Journeyman
Options

My Garmins have only ever had trouble uploading to Strava after the great North run, and that was due to there being no available data bandwidth due to the amount of people there, as soon as I got data.... Pinged straight to Strava. My samsung would never sync in less then 12 hours. 

0 Likes
johnyderp91
Navigator
Options

Last time I went on a run, immediatelly after I returned and my phone synced with my watch active 2, notification from Strava poped up, that my run is ready to view. I didn't have any other activity since then unfortunately, so I can't say if it was only a coincidende.

0 Likes
dmmcd
Apprentice
Options

For the last 2 weeks, Samsung Health it has been updating Strava immediately after a workout. This is what it used to do 2 years ago before it started acting up. Hopefully the issue has been fixed? Or maybe the number of users has dropped off this time of year so the servers aren't overloaded. 

Chelli35
Pioneer
Options

I noticed that after a update i needed to sign in to the health app giving strava permissions then Ive not had a problem with uploads.  All of my activities have been syncing within minutes.  Fingers crossed this has been fixed

0 Likes
henk2055
Student
Options
For me, when walking or running samsung health syncs immediately to strava, when cycling it does not sync at all.
0 Likes
RobertSw
First Poster
Options

Have Galaxy watch and Note 8 phone.  My rides used to post overnight into Strava, but quit uploading into Strava in November.  I've been playing with settings, updates, rebooting, etc., but nothing has fixed it.

I original bought the Galaxy watch to use the Strava app; however, I have have numerous problems with Strava App:

1) It would stopped updating ride and data would be lost. Once watch stop updating, could only be unfrozen with intervention. 

2) Power estimate was bad. I did find a fixed for the power estimated: turn off GPS on phone.  It was using both the GPS on my phone and watch.  Appearently it estimated the power of going between to two GPS's resulting in overestimating power by 4x.

3) Poor battery life.    For rides longer than 5 hours the battery will die and will loose the entire ride.  S Health has much longer battery life.  So I switched to using the S Health app.

The issue with S Health is long time to load into Strava,  and quited updating in November.  

What is battery life for using Gear Tracker?

0 Likes
Chelli35
Pioneer
Options
Hi Robert
I have sorted out my issues. Go to the settings in the health app. In settings go to connected services u will see strava. Switch it off then back on again. U will need to sign back in to strava to allow the health app to upload to strava. It worked for me fingers crossed. Let me know if it works
Goldman1
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

I have been using Samsung Health together with my Samsung Gear S2 (yes, I know it's old :)) for a couple of years.

Now I just got a Strava account and I try to sync my data from Samsung Health to Strava, but nothin happens...

Reading all of the other posts is seems like I might be lost trying to fix this.

I think I have done all steps necessary.

Any clues or tips? Or should I just give up?? Or do it manually?

0 Likes