Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Show all steps on gear S3

(Topic created on: 29-06-2019 12:30 AM)
Bin_Ge
Journeyman
Options

Problem:

I don't wear the gears s3 while jogging because I use a different running watch. But I have my mobile with me.

So the steps made during running are recorded in S Health, but not on the Gear S3.

At the end of a day, my watch says that I  still have to do some steps to reach my goal. Even though I have already reached largely my goal in S Health. Thats a bit frustrating.

Question:

In S Health it is possible to sync the steps of the mobile and the Gear, so that you can see the total amount of steps on your phone.

Is there a possibility (other than wearing two watches during jogging :winking-face:) to have the total amount of steps (mobile and gear) also on the gear?

If not, I think that would be a great option.

Regards,

Gene

30 REPLIES 30
Bin_Ge
Journeyman
Options

With the arrival of the new Tizen 4.0.0.4, Samsung finally made it!

Today the new version rolled out in my country and I was eager to check out myself if the gear S3 an my phone show the same amount of steps even, when not wearing the watch.

An a first, short test, was very conclusive.
Walking a bit with my phone and without the gear, then going back to my watch and ...

Yes!

Both show the same amount of steps!

Thank you guys from Samsung

0 Likes
Bianathon
Student
Options

Nope. Nothing. This hasn't worked the several times I've checked over the last 2 weeks.

I've checked a couple times to confirm I do have Tizen 4.0.0.4. I have the Samsung Health app and the Galaxy Wearable App. Both are running. I'm repeatedly refreshing the "All Steps" in the app. I'm using my home Wi-Fi; I'm trying it withOUT Wi-Fi. I'm toggling everything that allows me to toggle.

I left the watch at home today and took  a few short walks to get 7214 steps. After returning home, slapping on the watch, and doing some things around the house, I show 1786 steps on the watch. They. Will. Not. Sync. Nothing I can seem to do will sync these numbers and alow my s3 to show all steps.

Do I just have the wrong phone or something (LG V20)??

Is there not a better watch anyone can recommend that isn't made by Samsung? I'm tired of wasting my time with this thing.

0 Likes
kamil40013
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

Hello. I have Galaxy Watch, and Galaxy Fit connected to the Galaxy S9+. All device have latest software. However when I go to steps section in Samsung Health app on phone I can't set option to show steps only from Galaxy Watch. Steps from Galaxy Watch are included in All steps. Can you guys view stpes from Galaxy Watch seperately ?

Screenshot_20190618-002230_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20190618-002232_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
Patch207
Journeyman
Options

@kamil4001,

I see the same thing on my device.  I have a Galaxy Gear S3 and a Gear Fit2, in my list are all steps, Mobile Phone, and Gear Fit2.  My Gear S3 syncs with Samsung Health fine and adds the appropriate steps.

Perhaps this is how they did a work around to have the mobile phone and Gear S3 steps sync and display the same on both devices and release this feature quickly.  Hopefully the device calculations will he separated again in a future update.  For now, I use my Gear S3 disconnected from my phone until I want them synced, which give me separate counts until they connect together.

As a note, I was told by a Samsung Support Agent that the Gear S3 can store up to 28 days of Samsung Health data before dumping the oldest data (29th day).  As long as you connect your S3 to your phone to sync you can keep the data separate. 

(Of course Gear S3 internal storage space must be sufficient to store the data, however I've noticed this is merely several kb, even with constant hear rate monitoring, which should be no problem for nearly all users.)

0 Likes
Patch207
Journeyman
Options

Absolutely love this feature now. I don't have to use my phone just to see my total step progress throughout the day. The Gear S3 doesn't always detect steps mowing the lawn, pushing a shopping cart, or other wheeled object, or carrying something like a box, bag, television, etc, which the phone will detect while on your body. Now if Samsung could do the same for the Fit2 series. I use my Gear S3 as my main wearable and use my Gear Fit2 as a backup while the Gear S3 charges, thus reducing loss of data during the Gear S3's downtime. If the devices could all inter-sync, it would be bliss. I'm probably asking too much now.

0 Likes
Patch207
Journeyman
Options

Absolutely love this feature now. I don't have to use my phone just to see my total step progress throughout the day. The Gear S3 doesn't always detect steps mowing the lawn, pushing a shopping cart, or other wheeled object, or carrying something like a box, bag, television, etc, which the phone will detect while on your body. Now if Samsung could do the same for the Fit2 series. I use my Gear S3 as my main wearable and use my Gear Fit2 as a backup while the Gear S3 charges, thus reducing loss of data during the Gear S3's downtime. If the devices could all inter-sync, it would be bliss. I'm probably asking too much now.

0 Likes
kamil40013
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

@Patch207, We found solution to view steps from Gear S3/Galaxy Watch separately. Just downgrade S Health app to 6.1.7.019 version and disable automatic updates.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Zegarki/Aktualizacja-One-UI-dla-Galaxy-Watch-Gear-S3-oraz-Gear-S...

0 Likes
Mbush
First Poster
Options

If I'm wearing my Samsung watch and have my samsung phone in my pocket.  Are my steps counted twice, so instead of 10 steps, does it show 20 steps in all steps count?

0 Likes
kamil40013
Samsung Members Star ★★★
Options

@Mbush, You can try disabling step counter on phone, and you will see steps only from Watch.

0 Likes
Bin_Ge
Journeyman
Options

As kamil40013 already suggested, you can disable the step counting on your phone.

You will see, there will be no difference if step counting is on or off.

It would be not very clever to count steps twice, when wearing the phone and the watch. And by the way steps would then be counted 4 times/ 8 times and so on.

Enjoy your watch and your phone.

0 Likes