Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Samsung S7 Health app not showing route where we have walked.

(Topic created on: 29-12-2018 11:11 PM)
Trundle
Explorer
Options

Hi

My wife and I have recently purchased on  contract 2 Samsung SM-G930F 32GB Smartphones.  

We have configured our Samsung Health Apps for walking.  When we have finished our walks the route has not been traced on the map. It is counting the steps and the distance correctly but it does not show correctly (map traced) on the roads and footpaths. It just shows a straighline across the map from one point to another.

Is there some configuration settings that need to set to enable this function.

Note.  Previous to this, I had a Samsung S5 for 2 years and my wife had a Motorola G3.  Both of these using the Samsung Health app showed the walked  route correctly on the map.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks

0 Likes
32 REPLIES 32
flyin911E
Journeyman
Options

I have an S7 and in order for Samsung Health to map your walk, run or ride you must change the following in your Settings:

1. In Connections tab click on Location, then click Locating method and click on High Accuracy

2. In Device maintenance tab click on Battery, then in Power saving mode click OFF.

Go to Samsung Health and select your exercise and hit start as you always have done. If you have a good GPS signal it will now map your tour.  I always reset everything back when I'm finished with the workout to power saving in both the locating method and battery to save power. It's a pain to set and reset but this makes it work properly.

Remember: set to High Accuracy AND turn power savings to Off.

0 Likes
Karla79
First Poster
Options

Hi I have just bought the gear fit2pro ad I can see the map on the watch but not on health app any ideas? I have cleared cache and restarted phone but no joy

0 Likes
flyin911E
Journeyman
Options

Hi, I'm a user who also has to struggle thru the process of figuring things out for myself without much help from Samsung. I just bought a Garmin Instinct to track workouts, but to the best of my knowledge it does not interact with my S7; therefore, it appears to me that the tracking function is independant of any other device. I, also, had trouble getting my S7 to map my rides (walks in your case), but after I discovered that "Power Saving" MUST be turned OFF, AND that the "Locating Method" MUST be set to "High Accuracy", so that the GPS function is turned on, the mapping works perfectly. After I return from my "tour of duty" I return the settings to mid range power savings and location method to wi-fi to save power. Every time I ride I have to change the power saving and locating method switches so that it will track, and reset them back to save power when I'm not riding.

I find it much easier to set the switches BEFORE my ride by  opening "Settings" and going to "Connections" first to set Loaction to high accuracy (GPS), and then to "Device Maintenance" to set power saving to OFF. 

Try this for yourself to verify that your walk will be tracked -- Set Loaction Method to Battery Saving (wi-fi) and Power Savings to Mid:

Open Samsung Health

1. Click on "Exercise" and then "Walking".

2. Note that you see a warning at the bottom of the screen with a button to change settings.

3. DO NOT USE that bloomin' button to change settings -- it's confusing and won't get you where you want to go!

4. Close Samsung Health

Now do this: 

1. Using "Settings" set the switches as I wrote in my original post to High Accuracy location method and power saving to OFF.

2. Open Samsung Health.

3.  Click on "Exercise" and then "Walking"

4. You should now see that the warning is gone and that your current GPS position is indicated with a blue dot on the map screen.

5. Click "Start" and you should be good to go.

Why Samsung has to make things so difficult I'll never know. If the warning to set things correctly actually did just that then all would be well. It should be easy for the programmers to do. When the workout is ended it would be easy to have a button to return to previous settings. But nooooooooo, they HAVE to make it complex, confusing and frustrating! 

I'd be interested to know if you are able to make tracking work for you.

flyin911E
Journeyman
Options

Incidentally, connecting to GPS indoors is kinda iffy, so if it won't connect go somewhere in the house close to windows and outside walls or go outside.

0 Likes
Trundle
Explorer
Options

Thanks for your input. You are not telling us anything new in your last two posts.  Your suggestions had been tried repeatedly to no avail in March 2017 for several months.  It is worth noting that the problem happens on 2 (two) identical S7 phones, not just one.
After finding the problem as stated on the date above, we (wife and I) have both been using the mapmywalk app successfully, walking and tracking around 80 miles per month.   The mapmywalk app uses exactly the same principles and GPS (naturally) as the Health App and shows the route exactly.  
0 Likes
Karla79
First Poster
Options

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/1438756

Thank you for your help I got it working did everything you said and also found another setting saying location services as well as the ones you suggested it took some doing I would of thought it would be less complicated!!

Thanks again

0 Likes
flyin911E
Journeyman
Options
Karla, thanx so much for your reply. I'm glad that you were able to make the mapping work in S Health! It certainly would be nice if Samsung would make things simple and easy and user friendly, but it seems they always want to make things challenging and frustrating.
0 Likes
flyin911E
Journeyman
Options

You're welcome, but there is not anything new that I can add. My wife and I have identical S7s put into service 06.2016. I had to school her about setting the power and location setting prior to  ingaging in a walk or a ride. Both of our S7s map the activity in Samsung Health every time if the settings are correct. If you are setting power and location services correctly and you cannot get mapping I'm affraid I have no clue why it's not working.

I saw your suggestion earlier about Map My Ride, installed it, and it mapped as intended. It's a good alternative if one doesn't care that it won't integrate with S Health. However, once I figured out the proper power and location settings S Health would map as intended. I actually started both services for a couple rides and the mapping and statistics were very close. Now that S Health mapping works I use it since the stats are included with everything else in one place in S Health. I retained Map My Ride as a back up.

0 Likes
Tam5
First Poster
Options
Hi when your on the main home page on Samsung health, click on three dots in top corner click on settings in there my location setting was turned off so it wouldn't even show a map when I went cycling or walking it just showed my stats. Had a look through my through app settings then came across this. Hey presto I have a map
0 Likes
Tam5
First Poster
Options
It's actually called (Location Information ) this is what needs turning on
0 Likes