Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMSUNG Galaxy Watch Active 2 : Disability Issues and Sleep/Heart Monitoring!

(Topic created on: 15-02-2020 06:29 PM)
VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

I've had this SAMSUNG Galaxy Watch Active 2 ("GWA2") since 06/01/2020, and it seemed OK, once I had got my head around the many features, and had disabled all those that I did not want.

I am now 60, with lower limb disability issues due to old motorcycle accidents (17 operations) and later added injuries when in UK Forces.

I was kindly given the GWA2 as a 60th Birthday Present to help with monitoring my very poor sleep, and also this years efforts to improve health and fitness via non-impact exercise, such as, initially, Physio, then hopefully later on things like Rowing and floor based exercises with weights, and maybe later this year some swimming and cyling, all in preparation for major surgery to replace a whole knee (yes the entire knee, which is a bigger one than even a Total Knee Reoplacement), probably a hip or two, and maybe an ankle.

I am also looking forward to the ECG feature, but appreciate this will take a few weeks yet whilst various Certifications are sought.

I have also recently discovered that I have serious Sleep Apnoea issues, so bad that it triggered Atrial Flutter one night, and put me into Intensive Care for 10 hours with my heart stuck in a 2:1 Block at 150bpm for 10 hours...which is basically what can happen when you neary suffocate!

All being well, I should get a CPAP (Constant Positive Air Pressure) machine soon, which should cure the sleep issues, and allow me to finally get some decent restorative sleep. Usually I am getting just 1-20 mins of Deep Sleep a night because of this, and the thrashing around I do in bed because of lower limb pain. Total sleep is usually between 1-5 hours if that, so I tend to be a bit tired during the day!

I was using a Polar A360 to mainly keep an eye on sleep, or the lack of it, and to help monitor activity and so on, when I will combine that with a Polar H7 Chest Strap if I can get onto the Rowing Machine (hips/knees allowing).

Anyway, the GWA2 seemed to be OK until this morning, when it suddenly elected to stat Monitoring me having a run, which was curious, because I was just sitting in front of the PC doing some admin!

It did not seem to want to stop, so I just went for a reset via my SAMSUNG Galaxy S10's App linked to the GWA2!

A PITA, as I then had to re-set a lot of features and widgets up all over again.

However, then it did the same again!

This time I was able to stop it, and then disabled the Multi-Workout Running widget, which seems to have calmed the thing down.

The GWA2 is fully patched with the latest updates as of today (10/01/2020), so I am writing this in case others have experienced the same odd behavior. I have it paired to a SAMSUNG Galaxy S10 Mobile (also fully patched).

I will update if it does it again, and will post up any other feedback related to this watch in terms of sleep monitoring issues and a disabled bloke starting to get fitter!

VikingAle

51 REPLIES 51
VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

More strange Continuous Heart Rate readings from the GWA2 this morning, similar to yesterday.

When I took my morning Blood Pressure, via an OMRON M7 (two readings), these were the results:

116/76 at 51 bpm

117/78 at 52 bpm

Whilst doing the second one, I kept a close eye on my GWA2, and it was showing a Heart Rate of 104 bpm at the exact same time as the OMRON M7 produced a result of 52 bpm!

That looks like an exact 100% increase or, rather, a display that was doubling the reading.

The Charge was 78% after a night in bed, because I had yet to re-charge the GWA2. In case Charge level is a factor.

At the same time, the GWA2 was showing my Resting HR at 49 bpm, so more accurate given the 51-52 bpm range of the OMRON.

I then again fired up the SAMSUNG Health App on my SAMSUNG Galaxy S10, and ran the Measure Stress via the Finger Sensor on the S10, and that came up with the following:

52 bpm at 95% O2 Saturation.

Around 5 minutes later I checked the GWA2 again, and it was by then showing my Continuous Heart Rate at around 60 bpm, so looked to have corrected the odd high reading when doing my Blood Pressure.

Please also note that I wear the GWA2 on my right (dominant) arm, but check Blood Pressure via my left arm, so there were no blood constriction issues caused by the OMRON Arm Band, because the two devices were on different arms.

I did select a SAMSUNG Watch Face, in case of interference by the 3rd Part Watch Face that I was using.

I may try a Full Re-Set, and avoid any 3rd Party Watch Faces for a while, in case the coding of these are having some impact upon the display of Heart Rate Data.

My aim here is to get the GWA2 into a reliable configuration, so that I am starting from a known and rock solid base, which means I need to get the GWA2 to log, display and/or export mainly sleeping and resting Heart Rate Data accurately, otherwise there is no point relying upon it to start logging Exercise or, later, ECG Data (when that fearture is activated).

More on this if I spot any other issues.

VikingAle

AntS
Options

Cheers, @VikingAle ! :smiling-face::thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

You should also be able to send software diagnostic info as feedback for the developers to work from (if you're not doing so already):

• On the watch: Settings > About Gear > Report Diagnostics >  Toggle On
  • As soon as you experience the issue (or within 15 minutes of it happening), on your phone, launch ‘Galaxy Wearable App’ > More (3 dots) > Contact us > Error Reports > Input Symptoms > SEND

(The data sent is anonymised, and only held for the duration of the investigation of the report.)

0 Likes
VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

Hello Ants!

SOFTWARE = R825FXXU1AS17

I could not find any options related to Diagnostic Data, I wonder if what you Posted above only applies to a different SAMSUNG Watch, and not to the SAMSUNG Galaxy Active 2 ("GWA2")?

I searched the user Guide, and nothing came up on either keywords Diagnose or Diagnostics. Likewise, there is no option under the Contact section of the App on my SAMSUNG S10 to send any Diagnostic Date, it just seems to want to direct me to this Forum.

I noted a couple of Buyer feedbacks on Amazon (UK), and it seems a few others have noted the GWA2 can often auto-detect a traning event incorrectly, and won't be dissuaded from this once it has convionced itself it's correct!

That happened to me (recounted above in the first Post), when I was sitting at the PC, and it detected I was out having a run! The GWA2 would not be told otherwise, and I ended up doing a Full Reset, and then when it tried to do it again, I deleted the Running Workout from the Apps loaded onto the watch (I cannot run in any event).

So, that does look to be a bug with the current Software.

Likewise, I have also now noted almost every day, the random doubling of my Heart Rate for long'ish periods, when other devices are all reporting a Heart Rate at around half that reported by the GWA2 at the exact same time. The GWA2 does usually settle down, eventually, and at other times in can perfectly align with the other devices.

But there are therefore two definite bugs that I am observing at the moment:

(1) Random incorrect detection of training events, that cannot then be stopped.

(2) Random over-stating of Heart Rate Data by around 100%, but these are awlays when I am effectively at rest, so I do not know if this issue also impacts training logs at genuinely higher Heart Rates.

Sleep Data seems to be about right, and aligns with other devices in terms of waking periods, and time spent awake. Likewise, the limited Deep Sleep that is logged by the GWA2 seems about right.

VikingAle

0 Likes
AntS
Options

Looks as though it has indeed been changed slightly for the Galaxy Watch Active 2. Sorry about steering you wrong there, @VikingAle ! 

For a GWA2: Settings > About watch > Legal Information, and there should be an option to automatically send the device's diagnostic and usage info you can set in there.

Should also be in Galaxy Wearable > Home > About watch > Legal Information.

Also, this gives a step-by-step guide on how to submit an error report for a Wearable from then on: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-do-i-send-an-error-report/ 

VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

Hello AntS!

Many thanks, I had that enabled from the outset, so I may have been sending diagnostics data without even realising!

I've just fitted a UniqueMe Screen Protector to the Galaxy Watch Active 2 (seems good, and there is a video tutorial that should be watched, which makes it all very easy to do).

I did think that cleaning the rear of the watch may have improved the accuracy of the Resting HR, but after an hour or so, of what looked to be more punchy and accurate readings, I sadly noted the watch was again over-stating my Resting HR.

This time, when doing the evening Blood Pressure, my true Resting HR was 51 bpm, when the GWA2 was telling me it was 101 bpm!

VikingAle

VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

A new Software Update was released today (05/02/2020) in the United Kindom, as follows:

Old Software:

R825FXXU1AS17/(I didn't note the full reference, but this was added on 06/01/2020 when I first used it)

New Software:

R825FXXU1ATA1/R825FOXA1ATA1/R825FXXU1ATA1

I think it's just tweaks rather than a major update, but will advise if I see anything change in terms of the random spurious elevated Heart Rate that I still see every now and again.

VikingAle

VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

Model = SM-R825F

Software = R825FXXU1ATA1/R825FOXA1ATA1/R825FXXU1ATA1

A bit like the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) on a Car's Chassis, which can be de-coded to tell you a lot of detail about the vehicle such as: Manufacturer, Country where made, which Plant made at, engine type, gearbox type etc...I think the above Software Codes contain some potentially useful background information.

There are Developer Forums that discuss the SAMSUNG Galaxy units and from a quick novice look at that, it would appear that the OXA in the second reference above, is a Language Pack Code. There are a few others I gather.

If I find out how to de-code the Software references, I will update.

I have, however, noted no major change to the random doubling of my Heart Rate. Last night, for example, as I hit the sack, and checked a few things via three devices, the two units that measure Pulse and Blood Oxygen Saturation, always align within a few seconds (at around 62 bpm and 97% O2), whereas the Galaxy Watch Active 2 ("GWA2") started with a high Pulse, like around 78 bpm, and only gradually crept down to 62 bpm. Eventually all agreed on the same Pulse, and this seems to happen most nights.

A couple of days ago when checking Blood Pressure at around dinner time, the OMRON recorded my Pulse at 50 bpm (correct as the Beta Blocker has slowed my Heart Rate down a bit), when at the exact same time, the GWA2 was almost exactly 100% out on Pulse, telling me it was 99 bpm. It also stayed around that level. The OMRON was accurate.

I do keep seeing that, and the error looks to be 100% out, more or less exactly given the fact the OMRON reports the bpm once, and the GWA2 is giving me a dynamic reading. I sit as still as possible to see if I can get a reasonably close result from both at the same time.

This still looks like Software, not Hardware.

Likewise, if the GWA2 can one day offer an ECG feature, then surely the visual display of the Heart Beat must match the bpm, so I can't imagine that showing you, say, a Sinus Rhythm at 50 bpm, at the same time as telling you your Heart Rate is actually twice that.

I'm still wondering if it's the currently disabled - or hidden - ECG feature that could be what is making the GWA2 double the Heart Rate at rest (in my case).

Hopefully, this will get fixed.

VikingAle

0 Likes
VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

Model = SM-R825F

I have just managed to send two Error Reports whilst the GWA2 was over-stating my Heart Rate by around 100% when measured continuously, and when I was sat at rest. I stress this is the live reading, not the Resting HR reading below the main display.

I did this via the Galaxy Wearable App on my SAMSUNG S10, which is for the Galaxy Watch Active 2, so not an error sent relating to the Mobile, but sent via the Mobile.

Not sure how I missed that before, but from three lines top left, I then clicked Contact Us from there, and then I clicked the Error reports icon from there, and sent the Data along with a message in each case to advise the details.

It was stuck at around 105-114 bpm, when actual Heart Rate was around 55-60 bpm, and this was confirmed both via an OMRON M7 Blood Pressure machine, and from a quick manual check via my own neck, and actual Heart Rate was definitely between 55-60 bpm, not over 100 bpm.

It's still reading 108 bpm as I type this (Resting HR shows 51), so looks to have been stuck at this 100% error for at least the last 15 minutes plus, so a good example of when the GWA2 seems to get stuck over-stating my actual Heart Rate at 100% more than it is.

Pleased that I was at last able to grab a potentially useful pair of Error Logs right when this was happening. Hopefully this will help to get to the bottom of this random problem.

I have also just measured my Stress Level via the Galaxy Health App, which uses the Finger Sensor on my SAMSUNG S10, and that gave me 55 bpm at 95% O2 Blood Oxygen Saturation, so a further measure at 55 bpm when the GWA2 is still up at 108-112 bpm.

Update: the reading just dropped to 59 bpm, so it has corrected itself, but was reading high for maybe 20-30 minutes.

VikingAle

VikingAle
Pioneer
Options

Model = SM-R825F

A quick additional observation on Error Reporting.

I was able to send another Error Report very early this morning, as in the small hours, as I was getting into my pit for the night. As usual, I plugged myself into the Blood Oxygen Saturation (%SpO2) warning and logging unit (a CheckMe O2), which gives me a Heart Rate and %SpO2 Level once it has settled down to start logging. I also do a quick check via a Finger Tip O2 Sensor, which also gives me Heart Rate and %SpO2 as well.

I then check both against the GWA2, and if all agree, I know I am fine to nod off, with no signs of Atrial Flutter that I can detect via this triple pre-sleep check. I am not a hypochondriac, this is just a very simple precautionary step to avoid a needless Stroke or coming over all dead problem whilst asleep!

I am fairly sure that the recent Atrial Flutter issue that I had is actually caused by Sleep Apnoea, but it's still wise to check all is well before I embark upon another fun night of potentially suffocating myself. Such as, should I change sleeping position involuntarily because of lower limb pain making me move position and thus into a poorer position for my airway. I cannot control that when asleep, so just have to make sure I have checked all is OK before sleep, and then make sure I have the CheckMe O2 working to buzz me if my %SpO2 goes off the bottom of the scale.

In terms of Atrial Flutter, I was just thinking that a potentially useful feature for the GWA2 could be a Heart Rate Alarm that you can set at a suitable level so that the GWA2 kicks off and wakes you up if that level is reached whilst asleep. Say, 140 bpm, which is pretty high, and just below the classic 2:1 Block 150 bpm reading that can indicate Atrial Flutter. Better to wake up and be able to do something about it, than stay asleep and risk, say, a blood clot forming.

I noted that there seems to be a feature that can be set to alert at low and high Heart Rate levels, but I have not detected any warning from the GWA2, so have no idea if this works. I assume it is for Training/Exercise purposes, to let you know when you have reached a set level? No idea how it tells you however.

I am still waiting to hear from the NHS if I can be issued with a CPAP machine, so the above is just a sensible strategy to avoid hitting bigger snags.

Last night, as can happen, the GWA2 was again having problems displaying the correct Heart Rate, and was again around 100% higher than the other two devices, like 107-114 bpm, against the correct 52-58 bpm.

Other times, the GWA2 is fine, and will synch with the other two Devices, so it does look like Software and not Hardware.

So, because the error was stable, I flashed up the Galaxy Wearable App on my SAMSUNG S10, and clicked the three lines to the Top Left, then clicked Contact Us, and then clicked Error Reports.

I then selected the frequency of the error as Sometimes, and then added some Notes to help describe what was happening.

IMPORTANT: I was asked what Model I had in response to an earlier Error Report, so I now insert the GWA2's Model Number (SM-R825F in my case) at the start of every Error Report. I suggest anyone else doing this, should do the same, because this seems to be helpful to the Technical Support bods.

I'm not sure if something has changed but, when I now do this, the Error Reporting also now fires up the Samsung Members App automatically.

Then, when I send, I now also get a pop down message on the S10, to say please do not close the Samsung Members App because an Error Log is being collated in the background, i.e. that will be sent on when done.

That seems to take a few minutes, but will update the pop down message on my S10 to thank me for submitting the Error Report and, presumably, an Error Log to go with it.

This may help others to ensure that both an Error Report and Error Log get transmitted, and if you quote the Model's details along with the Error Report, that looks to be helpful as well.

HTH

VikingAle

AntS
Options

@VikingAle , Unsure if you've got a response from the developers yet; but they've analysed the log files you sent and advised us that the sensors, libraries, and HR calculation are showing to be working without any issues.  They've also advised that if the signal quality of the HR sensor is very low, the HR won't display.

Expanding on that last point they've added:

'Wearable calculates heart rate (HR) using blood volume change information by capturing emitted lights returning through your skin.
The accuracy of such optic-based HR measurement can be influenced by physical and physiological factors such as tightness of wearing, hairs, tattoo, level of muscle contraction, perfusion, and etc.

For more accurate HR measurement, we recommend the following procedure:

1. Keep the device fit to your wrist. You would have more chance to get accurate HR by keeping the air-gap between the device and your wrist minimized.
2. Select a proper exercise type.
3. Wait until HR values are displayed on the screen before starting exercise.'

0 Likes