Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear sport always on display when swimming

(Topic created on: 18-07-2018 09:48 AM)
msearancke
First Poster
Options

Why cant the screen stay on when swimming?

Its anoying that I cant just glance at the watch to see how many lengths I have done. It also means that I have to press the pause button twice (once to activate the display and a second time to pause) at the end of a set. Its also anoying that the swim app does not track sets. 

I have been told by support that its not possible to get the display to stay on but I cant be the only one that finds this very frustrating. Is there a way to submit feature requests (I have plenty of other issues I would like to see fixed)?

So far I have been very underwelmed by this watch and wish I had got another Garmin device.

5 REPLIES 5
AntS
Options

Hi @msearancke. I've pitched your suggestions for an always on display and set tracking to our software R&D team. I'll let you know how it goes. 

0 Likes
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @msearancke.

Some positive feedback from our devs. on your suggestion regarding the Gear Sport when swimming:

"To save battery life, the gear turns off if there is no user interaction (bezel, touch) for a certain period of time. If the LCD is turned on continuously, it will consume more battery and hence shorten the time it can track the user's exercise.

For future wearables we will keep this suggestion in mind (we have also been tuning "wrist up" to detect wrist up more faster during exercise)."

0 Likes
Dylanviljoen
Student
Options

@ChrisM wrote:

Hi @msearancke.

Some positive feedback from our devs. on your suggestion regarding the Gear Sport when swimming:

"To save battery life, the gear turns off if there is no user interaction (bezel, touch) for a certain period of time. If the LCD is turned on continuously, it will consume more battery and hence shorten the time it can track the user's exercise.

For future wearables we will keep this suggestion in mind (we have also been tuning "wrist up" to detect wrist up more faster during exercise)."

0 Likes
Dylanviljoen
Student
Options
Probably the worse feedback ever. This is a sports watch!!! A swim session normally lasts 30-60 mins so if I chose to have always on for that amount of time, I'd live with the consequences of shorter battery life. At least give the option for consumers and make the swimming feature more useable.
Katara
First Poster
Options
I whole-heartedly agree with you Dylan! I am an avid runner and for spending $200+ on a watch that can't even stay on during my runs, it has been a huge let down. I called their support and created a ticket about this today and spent an hour on the phone explaining how the running function doesn't even have auto-lap or any kind of lapping feature. The worst part is the screen turning off during my runs though with no ability to leave it on. SO irritating!! It's a feaking sports watch and I'M THE USER. I should fully be able to have a setting to leave it on while I'm in a work out. Please fix this asap Samsung, this is embarassing for you guys. I've had probably close to 6 different GPS watches over the years and this is the ONLY one that literally is black every time I try to glance down at my pace, mileage and time. Create a check box to LEAVE SCREEN ON ALWAYS in the workout section. Otherwise, I'm taking this puppy back and will invest the extra 100 in an Apple sports watch. Thank you!