Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear sport Battery draining at night

(Topic created on: 22-10-2018 06:30 PM)
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

My gear sport watch, which is around 6 months old, had started to battery drain every night. It happens at around 3am. The battery percentage is around 70% when I go to bed (10-11pm) 

I know the time accurately because the sleep record and HR record switch off. 

Has anyone else had this issue? 

315 REPLIES 315
Rusty2
Explorer
Options

Ditto on that , I agree my battery life is exemplary right now and back to what it used to be. A wake-up call that Samsung can be so intrusive and affect so many, and if they did not supply us with the needed information  to remedy this situation .Thanks to this group, it is amazing, a lot of minds and sanity has been restored lol 

0 Likes
Billy12
Apprentice
Options

My history:

* 5 nights ago (Monday night in US), went to sleep w/ 84%, woke up w/ watch dead (off and won't start).

* 4 nights ago (Tuesday night in US), fully charged before bed, went from 100% to 17% overnight.

* Live Chat w/ Customer Service; they had me do reset.

* 3 nights ago (Wednesday night in US), battery drained overnight.

* 2 nights ago, put it on the charger before bed and forgot to wear it bed. On the charger in the morning it was at 100%.

* Yesterday: AN UPDATE WAS PUSHED TO MY SAMSUNG GALAXY PHONE, AND I INSTALLED IT.

* Last night, I fully charged watch before bed, put it on, and this morning it is at 94%.

So, I conclude that either: (a) the bug doesn't work on Friday nights; or, (b) the update to my phone  altered the universe.

LauraF76
First Poster
Options

Mines also did this on Monday, going from 46% to 0 in less than 15 minutes.  I also messaged Samsung support as my watxh hadnt recorded steps or heartbeat.   Unfortunately, I was travelling and forgot my watxh charger so only managed to charge it now.  Hoping it doesn't do the same thing again.  Samsung suggested I clear the cache.

0 Likes
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

@LauraF76 - don't bother with that. Just do this...

To increase the battery life on the Gear after the update please follow the steps below ↓ •On the Gear tap on setting; •Tap on Gear info. •Tap Report diagnostic and usage info (Disable this feature) Test the watch for a few days to see how the battery works. 

So far, no one on this thread has done this without success. And it's much easier. I think the watch has got into a cycle of sending diagnostic reports constantly and that's why this works. 

Hope you have as positive a result as everyone else. 

Omcreations
First Poster
Options

I could be completely and totally wrong, but i don't believe it was a firmware update. I think it may be one of 6 apps: news briefing, anti-barometer, reminder, calendar, s-voice, or weather. 

It would be something else entirely. 2 days ago i took my 5 month old watch back to bestbuy and got a geek squad replacement with a new one. I made sure to not update any apps. I can go to sleep with 96% charge, and wake up with 88%. I recharged and did the same thing the next night with the same result. I've gone a whoke 28-30 hours and only down to 63%.

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options

Hello all, And thanks for the responses. I can say there has been a slight improvement when I have switched off report diagnois and usage info @Celiawheelia. But there is still a significant battery drain. i.e. 100% charge this morning @ 07:00 now 09:00 at 73% so the only way tolast throughout the day is to go to power saving mode. Would like to kno what the update did as I didn't have the issue with my battery prior. If the devices have been sending diags to Samsung surely they should have gathered sufficiant data to fix this (BTW based in the UK). Just need to check i know the topic is Gear Sport but I have both Frontier and Classic so it's affecting the whole range... anyone got a Galaxy ? are these being affected ??

0 Likes
Kain
First Poster
Options

I'm in Australia and it's happening to my Gear 3 frontier and other people at work who have a gear 3 frontier.  I have only had my watch for 3 months and it worked perfectly.  Now, all off a sudden 3 days ago the watch went from lasting 3 days with a full charge to less than 12 hours.  I called samsung customer care and the lady didn't know what to do.  I was completely stunned.  I have turned of diagnostic info & s health notifications so hopefully that will help.

I have also installed something called a gear s plug in apk 

0 Likes
phk
Navigator
Options

@ProphetUK wrote:

Hello all, And thanks for the responses. I can say there has been a slight improvement when I have switched off report diagnois and usage info @@Celiawheelia. But there is still a significant battery drain. i.e. 100% charge this morning @ 07:00 now 09:00 at 73% so the only way tolast throughout the day is to go to power saving mode. Would like to kno what the update did as I didn't have the issue with my battery prior. If the devices have been sending diags to Samsung surely they should have gathered sufficiant data to fix this (BTW based in the UK). Just need to check i know the topic is Gear Sport but I have both Frontier and Classic so it's affecting the whole range... anyone got a Galaxy ? are these being affected ??

It's affecting my Gear S3 Frontier. Turning off Diagnostic data has helped a overnight. It still goes down faster than it used to overnight. 

It's also going down quicker during the day. Typically I would get two or three days from a charge but I now get about  one day.

I'm very disappointed at the way Samsung has handled this. First of all to be met with disbelief and scepticism, secondly to not communicate what was known about the problem (if the US had the solution why were UK still doing pointless resets and exchanges) and finally a failure to promptly and speedily fix the issue.

These are £300 devices attached in many cases to £800 Samsung phones. Premium prices should mean premium service and not muddle, confused and slow responses.

(I've also experienced this poor service with My S8)

moneywoman4
Apprentice
Options

You need to try doing a backup. Go into your the Wearable app on your phone. Under About Gear then Back up and restore then click on Back up Settings. After I did this I noticed a HUGE improvement on my battery and I am now able to get 3 days out of my Gear again. See if that helps you :smiling-face:

0 Likes
phk
Navigator
Options

@moneywoman4 wrote:

You need to try doing a backup. Go into your the Wearable app on your phone. Under About Gear then Back up and restore then click on Back up Settings. After I did this I noticed a HUGE improvement on my battery and I am now able to get 3 days out of my Gear again. See if that helps you :smiling-face:

I'm a little sceptical because I have auto-backup on. But I'll try anything.

0 Likes