Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear sport Battery draining at night

(Topic created on: 09-06-2019 03:53 AM)
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

My gear sport watch, which is around 6 months old, had started to battery drain every night. It happens at around 3am. The battery percentage is around 70% when I go to bed (10-11pm) 

I know the time accurately because the sleep record and HR record switch off. 

Has anyone else had this issue? 

315 REPLIES 315
samuelr
Apprentice
Options

Same problem with my watch. It has worked great up until now. After Tizen 4 installed, the watch started eating up the battery. It goes from 100% to 31% in about 3 hours. Sometimes it goes from 71% to 17% in just over an hour. Even if I was not even using the watch. Sometimes the battery lasts just few minutes. Same thing happens even if the battery save mode is on.

I have wifi off, the display always off, brightness on 5, heart rate monitor off, and no 3rd party apps installed. All I use the watch for is to keep me alerted when I get incoming messages, and it tells me to get up off my ***** sometimes and move! I do not use it to make or answer calls, GPS and location is off.

When the battery dies and I put the watch on the charger, the watch shows 76-91% battery left. Even it has just got empty. Then it charges about 5 min and says that the battery is full charged.

I have tried all the tricks what I could find from the web; factory reset, un- and reinstalling all the gear apps from the phone. Tried differend versions of Gear S Plugin.

Does anybody have any idea what to do?

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options

@samualr,

I have recently been trying to find what the cause was but it's recently been a bit hit and miss. One of the things I did notice was at night my watch would suddenly light up like a Christmas tree for no reason. I had thought it was possibly when I moved the bezel in my sleep but it also happened when the watch was on the side desk. 

So what I did was take off bezel wake-up off for a day and then back on also wake up gesture set to off. Since then been able to get a least a day or so (but my do not disturb is on from 10-6 Monday-Sunday).

Another thing I did was backup my Frontier (so to preserve my faces) and then recover from backup after a factory reset and uninstallation of the wear app.

With regards to the charging I did also notice this for a couple of days AFTER the Tizen update to fix this un-plug the charging station place the gear on the dock POWERED so it discharges the dock completely then plug it back in at the next Charge cycle so it's a clean charge that should read and then charge the watch from scratch.

BTW switching on all notifications did nothing but drain my gear quicker.

Please also check your handsets as my wife's classic was having the similar issue and what fixed hers was her S9 needed a software update (which meant the Wear app was also updated) and she gained a day worth of use. I tried it with my S8 never worked for me but something for others to try.

0 Likes
Farid96
First Poster
Options

SAme thinghappens to me after recent software update

0 Likes
Crane
First Poster
Options

I have the same problem.  My watch is one week old.  I bought it to replace a Gear S2 that was having the same problem.  Clearly software.  Samsung please fix or I will have to buy an ugly Apple Watch.

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options

interesting What Model do you have?

@Crane wrote:

I have the same problem.  My watch is one week old.  I bought it to replace a Gear S2 that was having the same problem.  Clearly software.  Samsung please fix or I will have to buy an ugly Apple Watch.

0 Likes
erginmurat
First Poster
Options
On my side, 4 days life decreased to 1-2 days after upgrade 😞
Today I charged for the second time, and used the watch with bluetooth, wi-fi, nfc off and walked only half km. 74% of battery left after 1.5 hrs.
0 Likes
JerosNL
First Poster
Options

Issue seems to have reappeared here as well. Battery drained from 95 to 50% overnight whilst on the desk.

0 Likes
NoMiS1981
First Poster
Options

I had similar issues with my new Gear sport that i bought just recently. What i ended up doing is a factory reset. I also made some modification the some setting such as turning off the wake up gesture gesture. My location is always on. I went from getting 1.5 day to about 4 days after the reset and turning off the wake up gesture. If your watch is less then 1 year old i would contact samsung if that doesnt resolve the issue. I would hope they can help you.

0 Likes
ProphetUK
Apprentice
Options

Hello all,

Thanks to all who have inputted. I did find by disabling my wake up bezel (turn) which worked and went back to a couple 3 days (still testing) but... Guess what I had this morning? 

There have been no changes made to the Watch, just an update to my Samsung S8 (by samsung). Part of this process is to also update all of the apps installed on the device I believe.

Since this update (Wear app also updated) my device has gone back to severe watch drain.

Started the morning at 100% now at writing this email @34% (09:00GMT - 13:15GMT). So have proven it's app related.

Question to Samsung is this the Wear app or the S8 software and when can we be expected to see a permanent fix?

0 Likes
Galaxy_s8_owner
Apprentice
Options
Do you have a custom watchface?
That could be it.
0 Likes