Support

Open search

Gear Sport screen off when I want it on

This issue only happened internmittently for a little while, and I could always just change the feature settings back and forth once and get it to work, but since the last update, I cannot get my Gear Sport screen to stay on while I'm on the workout screen.  I use it during my workouts, so before I start, I turn off Wake-up Gesture, set the screen timeout to 5 minutes, but everytime I lower my arm the screen goes out.  Turning on the "Watch Always On" feature only keeps the watchface on, and I'm trying to keep the workout screen on.  I use this to time my exercises, it's important.  I can't stop what I'm doing to click my watch button to turn the screen back on mid swing of a kettlebell.  It has never really stayed on for a full 5 minutes, but now I can't get it to stay on for 5 seconds of exercise.  I'm refraining from using the language I want to use right now out of considerations of propriety and civility, but I am very upset by this.  I didn't spend all that money on sport smartwatch to have something dumb like this to be such an issue.  I even tried to use a digital watchface and the screen still goes out within 10 seconds.  I shouldn't have to do that, I should be able to have the workout screen stay on so I can see the time by the second, how long the whole workout has been going, and what my heart rate is.  Those are the reasons I bought this watch and now I can't use them.  This doesn't count the issues I've been having with WiFi connectivity with my S9+ or persistent audio issues I've had with my IconX headphones (which are replacements for the first defective pair).  My view of Samsung is dropping.

5 REPLIES 5

"I'm refraining from using the language I want to use right now out of considerations of propriety and civility, but I am very upset by this."

I share the absolute frustration at this exact issue. Try running with this watch - no amount of "wrist twist" will keep the workout screen on so you can see how far you've actually run. Try swimming with it - even worse.

I can't believe samsung released a "sport watch" which doesn't do the absolute basic thing you need it to do - not even an option / setting!?

The FLAUNT app was an absolute blessing as it enabled you to keep the workout screen on for 30min at a time - however after the last update the app is not working anymore.

Extremely disappointed in Samsung's "worst impractical sport watch" I'm shelving my S9 and going to get a IPhone X tomorrow... I'm done with Samsung and Andriod.

First Poster

Any update regarding this issue?

The screen off while exercising is just awful.

Samsung has made 2 updates to the look and feel of the watch, however the issue persists. I'm astounded that no-one at Samsung has not picked this up. I flashed $500 on a Garmin, and the Samsung is gathering dust and I won't be buying anything Samsung again.

I was having the same problem, but heard about a watch app called "I am Alive". Tried it on a run this morning and It works just fine to keep the screen on. Just toggle on before the workout and off after you've finished.

Same here. Not buying Samsung again!
Top Liked Authors