Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport screen off when I want it on

(Topic created on: 19-08-2019 01:12 PM)
JosephM
First Poster
Options

This issue only happened internmittently for a little while, and I could always just change the feature settings back and forth once and get it to work, but since the last update, I cannot get my Gear Sport screen to stay on while I'm on the workout screen.  I use it during my workouts, so before I start, I turn off Wake-up Gesture, set the screen timeout to 5 minutes, but everytime I lower my arm the screen goes out.  Turning on the "Watch Always On" feature only keeps the watchface on, and I'm trying to keep the workout screen on.  I use this to time my exercises, it's important.  I can't stop what I'm doing to click my watch button to turn the screen back on mid swing of a kettlebell.  It has never really stayed on for a full 5 minutes, but now I can't get it to stay on for 5 seconds of exercise.  I'm refraining from using the language I want to use right now out of considerations of propriety and civility, but I am very upset by this.  I didn't spend all that money on sport smartwatch to have something dumb like this to be such an issue.  I even tried to use a digital watchface and the screen still goes out within 10 seconds.  I shouldn't have to do that, I should be able to have the workout screen stay on so I can see the time by the second, how long the whole workout has been going, and what my heart rate is.  Those are the reasons I bought this watch and now I can't use them.  This doesn't count the issues I've been having with WiFi connectivity with my S9+ or persistent audio issues I've had with my IconX headphones (which are replacements for the first defective pair).  My view of Samsung is dropping.

12 REPLIES 12
AnotherUser01
First Poster
Options

"I'm refraining from using the language I want to use right now out of considerations of propriety and civility, but I am very upset by this."

I share the absolute frustration at this exact issue. Try running with this watch - no amount of "wrist twist" will keep the workout screen on so you can see how far you've actually run. Try swimming with it - even worse.

I can't believe samsung released a "sport watch" which doesn't do the absolute basic thing you need it to do - not even an option / setting!?

The FLAUNT app was an absolute blessing as it enabled you to keep the workout screen on for 30min at a time - however after the last update the app is not working anymore.

Extremely disappointed in Samsung's "worst impractical sport watch" I'm shelving my S9 and going to get a IPhone X tomorrow... I'm done with Samsung and Andriod.

Shaish
Apprentice
Options

Any update regarding this issue?

The screen off while exercising is just awful.

FrustratedAtSam
First Poster
Options

Samsung has made 2 updates to the look and feel of the watch, however the issue persists. I'm astounded that no-one at Samsung has not picked this up. I flashed $500 on a Garmin, and the Samsung is gathering dust and I won't be buying anything Samsung again.

Paul_A
Student
Options

I was having the same problem, but heard about a watch app called "I am Alive". Tried it on a run this morning and It works just fine to keep the screen on. Just toggle on before the workout and off after you've finished.

0 Likes
S_Harrell
First Poster
Options
Same here. Not buying Samsung again!
0 Likes
Eddy81
First Poster
Options

Hello.

I'm using Gear S3 , and I'm also annoyed by this. Would changing to active watch 2 solve this  , or do I need to look for another alternatives ? It is frustrating to keep tapping the watch during workouts.

0 Likes
GearSport2
First Poster
Options

Just spent 20 minutes on the phone with customer support and they have no way to fix this issue.  He told me I would have to wait until an update came out that fixed it.  We shouldn't have to move our wrists a certain way, tap the watch or move the dial to see the workout screen while we are in the middle of a workout.  Also, the watch defaults to the watch face when it times out regardless of which app you are using.  Anybody who works out would never have approved of this software design.  I can't imagine how lap swimmers are using it for anything other than recording their workout. 

0 Likes
Ema15
First Poster
Options

I am having the same issue... very frustrating to have a sport watch timing out while you're trying to run or do an interval workout using the timer. I tried loading I am Alive app, but it doesn't seem to help.  I turn it on,  then turn on running app, but screen still times out.  Ugh!

0 Likes
andrep182
First Poster
Options

@Ema15 wrote:

I am having the same issue... very frustrating to have a sport watch timing out while you're trying to run or do an interval workout using the timer. I tried loading I am Alive app, but it doesn't seem to help.  I turn it on,  then turn on running app, but screen still times out.  Ugh!

I want to bet that the problem you were having with I am Alive app was that after you turned it on, you press the 'back' button to get out of the screen. That closes the app. If you pressed the 'app drawer' button instead, you'll keep the app running in the background and you're good to go.