Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 13-09-2018 10:49 AM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
Sven_B
Pathfinder
Options

Is there any chance to get directly in contact with the development team at Samsung?

The guys from this support forum are not able to give support for this issue as it is related to the SW development.

At least there should be direct contact established to DevronB as he knows a lot about the possible root cause.

It is a shame to Samsung if the reset of the sensor every 30s really fixes the problem...

0 Likes
chrisatlemon
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for this explanation! This also explains why other apps on the Gear Fit Pro 2 have the same HR locking problem. They seem to plug straight into the Samsung HR Monitor without any customisation.

I've tried UA Record, Pear, Speedo On and Endomodo and they all lock up the same as the native Samsung app.

Unfortunately your GearTracker app is not available in Europe! So I can't use it to remedy the problem here.

I've had the Gear for 3 weeks now and my workouts have become a pain in the neck as all I do is check whether the stupid thing still works instead of concentrating on the workout itself. I think I will return for a refund and get something else. A sports tracker without HR monitor is like a car without wheels - it's ridiculous. I can't believe that this hasn't got out there. I bought the device after reading all the rave reviews, I could not find anything negative on it ... that's some pretty good makreting for a device that's totally useless for sports and doesn't actually work!!

Here's how I minimise the lockups (after a lot of trial and error):

1) Turn off auto detect activity always

2) Turn off auto HR before starting a workout (set it to "never").

3) Make sure it catches your HR before you actually start moving

3) Keep it connected via BT to my phone

The latter is still under trial. I've done this for the last couple of days and for some reason I've had substantially less lockups. Could just be coincidence though ...

In any case, thanks for your post and giving us certainty.

Thanks Samsung for selling a broken product and not caring. One thing if there's a bug somewhere. Another if the core functionality of the device is simply broken! Unbelievable!

0 Likes
Andrezao
Explorer
Options

This is ridiculous!!! For me we need to be refunding all of us,  Samsung must do a worldwide recall. Screenshot_20180902-104056_Samsung Health.jpg

Andrezao
Explorer
Options

I sold mine  GEAR SPORT, next will be a GARMIN, sincerley good luck for all , but for samsung never more....lost my time and money!!

chrisatlemon
Apprentice
Options

I just got myself a Garmin Vivoactive 3. Cost 100 more but well worth shedding the constant aggravation with this stupid thing. Will be returning my GF Pro 2 for refund tomorrow. Thanks Samsung for not caring and not fixing the most fundamental functionality of a fitness tracker ... how dumb is that?

MrLeaky
Journeyman
Options

I totally understand, I simply stopped using the heart-rate monitor entirely... :smiling-face: Even other basic features are getting annoying. Like how the watch is telling me one moment that I should move, because I was inactive, and then half a second later it tells me "good job, still active". And very often it doesn't notify me to move, even after sitting many hours straight. Maybe I'm stupid, but I like those nudges.

I know that software development is difficult, I develop under .Net, and just spent a weekend messing around with XML serializers... but still, Samsung should have more responsible developers, or a proper testing team, especially considering that these are not cheap, low-end products.

ned7077
Explorer
Options

For a second there I thought it was better, then I was slapped back to reality.  Please Samsung, I'm begging you.  Notice I don't even use auto pause because for a few rides that seemed to help, but then this happens. 

This is directly after restarting the watch before the ride and making sure it was measuring a heart rate before starting the activity.

Still not workingStill not working

LukasLindh
Apprentice
Options
Exactly the same for me. I'm om my second Gear Sport due to a swimming accident this Summer and I havent experienced this on my old watch, but in my new one.

I DO have experienced what's been posted above that the heartrate stays flat afterwards raising. In sports mode.

The preiodically measurement of heartrate during sleeping and over the day works fine though.

Samsung please help!
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I'm currently in the process of 'jumping through the hoops' in order to get a full refund.

So far Samsung have tried to repair the watch by replacing the main board. This of course had no effect as the problem is software based so it is being sent straight back to them.

They have 2 chances left to fix the problem.

I would advise everyone else to go down the same route. This problem is not fixed and cannot be fixed by replacing parts or devices as many people have proven in previous posts... now including me. The funny thing is I am starting to see reports of this same problem on the new galaxy watch. It's ridiculous. 

0 Likes
M1ch3ll3
Apprentice
Options

My new Galaxy watch, at least than one week old has already done the same  The first two workouts it recorded. But now the heart rate flatlines after 10 minutes.

0 Likes