Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 07-08-2018 12:32 AM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
MortenBackPeder
Apprentice
Options
Hi Celiawheelia,

Great answer. Thanks for your reply. I've now switch to constantly tracking HR and hope to see a better result but eventually I'm still quite disappointed it didn't track neither my distance or my HR... Hope it'll turn out better next exercise.

What would you choose change to if you had the money?
lilith14
Explorer
Options

I was looking at the Garmin Forerunner 645 but luck had it I knew someone selling their Fenix 5 cheap and bought it, for sport the Garmin’s are great can pair sensors broadcast the wrist HR battery for days. Now it is not as good a smart watch as the Gear S3 as notifications are more clunky not as actionable and the screen quality is not as impressive due to a focus on battery rather than the OLED on the S3.

For the casual Android user if the HR issue was fixed I still think the Gear could still be the best as a smart watch do it all but I started really getting in to my health and cycling last year and for that end the Garmin wins hands down due to sensors that can be added and at this moment the clunkier notifications is worth the trade-off for me especially since the Samsung’s activities has been broken for months without a fix .

Now if the problem with HR wasn’t around I would have stuck with the Samsung as I was happy before this issue and only started to look elsewhere when I found out my brother was planning to get the new Galaxy Watch when it came out so I told him my problems and as he wanted more a smart watch and step tracker he wouldn’t be doing manual activities so offered him my Gear S3 for €100 which he agreed so started looking at Garmins Eco-system.

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

Mortenbackpeder, probably one of the Garmins. I'm a runner and hiker,mostly. So it's very frustrating for me. The treadmill function on the s.health app isn't brilliant and the sleep tracker info isn't as good as the fitbit. 

My first tracker type watch was a fitbit blaze and I had massive problems with that, syncing with the phone app was,and still seems to be,a real and ongoing problem for fitbit. I used to lose GPRS connection from watch to phone during a run, it was so annoying. I still check out their community boards now and then and the problems seem to be persisting to the newer watches. 

I have tried to do more detailed research before I change (again) and the Garmin message boards are the only ones which seem relatively devoid of technical issues. 

We'll see. But for now I am stuck with this semi useless watch and no help from Samsung. 

rcsabalaki
Apprentice
Options

Hi,

Im having this problem since about 3-4 days. If i measure manually it works perfectly, the watch even measure it every 10 min when i'm resting, but when i start a workout the HR monitor is not working. Any update on this problem?

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Back again... any update on this broken feature?

8 months later - still no fix, or acknowledgement that there is a problem, or if it is being worked on.

Traycer
Apprentice
Options

Another data point: I've since switched to "Frequent" auto HR and the issue has not occurred, either with manual or auto-detected activities. I just switched it back to "Always" to see if the issues restart.

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I've experienced the issue in with the HR frequency set to both 'Frequent' and 'Always'.

Doesn't make a difference for me. Every so often it will record a workout completely fine then next time, even though no settings change, it not work again for a long period of time.

0 Likes
rcsabalaki
Apprentice
Options

Yep same here. Tried restarting both my phone and the gear but nothing changed. It must be a software error. The HR monitor is working perfectly if i start a measurement manually, but when i start an exercise it's not showing anything. Don't know why Samsung doesn't give a s**t about it....

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

Has anyone tried Twitter to get the attention of Samsung on this issue? 

Maybe we should all do it? 

ned7077
Explorer
Options

Just to chime back in, mine is getting worse.  I used to get good data using the eliptical workout but now I get flat lines doing those as well.  I'd post screenshots if Samsung wants to see them.  I also notice when HR mode set to Always it reports my HR jumping to over 100 randomly when I'm sitting at my desk at work which isn't real.  I believe someone else here reported that as well.

We all know this is a low priority for Samsung due to the impending announcement of the next version.

0 Likes