Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 08-07-2018 08:33 AM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
TheRugbyProp
Explorer
Options

Ricky2,

Correct. I entered the link into the iPhone browser. It opened the samsung app, but switched to the basic intro page. Searching for Tracker or Gear Tracker does not find it.

Rats!

Thanks for trying though!

In general, this whole Samsung thing has been way more effort than I was expecting from a $250 purchase.

BBred
Journeyman
Options

Hi Celiawheelia,

Have tried everyway on this now and just not working.  So have downloaded Under Armour Record (free download) in the meantime to track the data.  Very much disappointing for otherwise  great watch. 

0 Likes
Ssx
First Poster
Options

Is the app able the get your heart rate while you are riding?

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi Ssx,

Which app are you referring to?

If you mean the gear tracker app, Yes it does. I cannot speak for any other app

0 Likes
BBred
Journeyman
Options

hi ssx,

yes the Under Armour Record does so.  Have not tried it in action on a ride yet but will let you know result

0 Likes
Ssx
First Poster
Options

Thank you because the gear app does not track your riding when it comes to heart rate and it seems like nobody at samaung really cares. I think that they dont care becuase they are the best android phone. But as people we sould go somewhere else.

0 Likes
Sven_B
Pathfinder
Options

Here some screenshots of the diagnostic mode of my Gear S3 while showing wrong HR (was about 90 bpm in reality)Screen_20180706_193521.png

Screen_20180706_193501.png

Maybe we should compare the values to generate some hints for the developers....

0 Likes
MrLeaky
Journeyman
Options

Well, what can I say, I'm having the exact same issues with my recently bought Gear Sport, and I'm generally in total shock about how useless the HR monitoring is for any actual physical activity. Makes me feel stupid having had spent so many hours trying to make sure that I'm selecting the correct watch for me. None of the reviews mentioned that the HR monitoring can be totally useless... Of course now I'm seeing the numerous forum posts from real users on multiple sites.

Probably there is no point adding any more details. It's flat-lining when I bike, generally fails to react to rapid changes in heart rate, and when it mismeasures, it takes a very long time to gradually return to a sensible measurement.

I've been using this watch only for a few days, but so far I didn't manage to capture any usable HR during physical activity. It has issues even with every-day movements, for example when I was cutting onions and making a stir-fry yesterday, it started to measure ~130 bpm, and it took quite long time to return to normal.

Two examples:

Flat-lining, despite having a very tight strap, and even trying to use it on the underside of my wristFlat-lining, despite having a very tight strap, and even trying to use it on the underside of my wrist

Despite continuous HR monitoring being enabled, it stops measuring during intense activity, and it takes horribly long time to start measuring again - 29 mins here alreadyDespite continuous HR monitoring being enabled, it stops measuring during intense activity, and it takes horribly long time to start measuring again - 29 mins here already

MrLeaky
Journeyman
Options

Well, what can I say, I'm having the exact same issues with my recently bought Gear Sport, and I'm generally in total shock about how useless the HR monitoring is for any actual physical activity. Makes me feel stupid having had spent so many hours trying to make sure that I'm selecting the correct watch for me. None of the reviews mentioned that the HR monitoring can be totally useless... Of course now I'm seeing the numerous forum posts from real users on multiple sites.

Probably there is no point adding any more details. It's flat-lining when I bike, generally fails to react to rapid changes in heart rate, and when it mismeasures, it takes a very long time to gradually return to a sensible measurement.

I've been using this watch only for a few days, but so far I didn't manage to capture any usable HR during physical activity. It has issues even with every-day movements, for example when I was cutting onions and making a stir-fry yesterday, it started to measure ~130 bpm, and it took quite long time to return to normal.

[I don't know what's going on in this forum, but my previous post was removed as "spam". Maybe because of the example pictures I added?]

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

This week,I have been using a mixture of autodetetct and selecting walking when I have been walking the dog. When I make sure my HR is reading via the widget,and picking up on the first screen 20180630_134352.jpg

I have had success in both walking and running.....Screenshot_20180708-082224_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20180708-082245_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20180708-082307_Samsung Health.jpg

When I have used autodetetct for walking, I've had nothing 😡Screenshot_20180708-082325_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20180708-082335_Samsung Health.jpg

and I have had some other rather odd readings. I was sat in a lecture and my heart rate was reading 134!! Via the widget. I took my HR myself and it was 67 there abouts,so was clearly double counting. I switched the setting to reading NEVER,took a measure and it corrected itself and then it was fine. I reset to CONTINUOUS and got sensible readings. So while I am having success for manually started exercise,I am having other issues still with HR monitoring. Come on Samsung!!!