Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 23-06-2018 10:53 AM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
UrbanBikerMarc
Apprentice
Options

I am starting to get a real Déjà vu feeling here!

Up until 10 days ago I was the owner of two Fitbits, a Charge 2 which I had for 10 months until it developed an irreparable fault and a Fitbit Blaze that I purchased 2-weeks ago to replace it.

I liked the Blaze but from the start I had issues with the accuracy of connected GPS (which had been a recurrent issue with both Fitbit devices) and my active minutes and exercises were not tracking correctly, rendering it pretty much useless for my needs.

Having seen on the Fitbit Community how Fitbit can drag its heels when it comes to dealing with issues like connected GPS - nowhere near as bad as Samsung it would seem - I decided I’d had enough and returned my Blaze for a full refund.

I took my time deciding on what type and make of fitness tracker I would purchase next and read up on various trackers on independent review websites before I finally opted for the Gear Fit 2, which seemed to tick all the boxes with great reviews to-boot.

Now, it seems not only does my new Gear Fit 2 fail to record my heart rate data during my manual cycle rides (my main exercise), GPS inaccurately tracks the distance and mapping of most of my walks - and, since purchasing my Gear Fit 2, I have had to charge it every day (despite implementing power saving measures).

I really do want to love my Gear Fit 2 and I would like nothing more than for it to work properly but reading this thread I am wondering whether this device is worth the taking a risk on keeping it: seriously, Samsung, you need to get your act together and soon!

Bob89
Apprentice
Options

Hello,

I will post on this trend now. I'm located on the East coast of Canada. I own a Gear Fit 2 Pro since mid-April and had the heartrate flat line issue as well. I returned it on Monday to get it fix under the warranty and it came back today. They replace the mainboard and the rear case with a factory reset. I went a bike ride to give it a shot and it almost tracked it perfectly with the auto stop on which case it to flat line once for a short period. Much better than what it was before for sure, see below for comparaison. Although, it may have a been a fluck of the magic factory reset.  Left pic is after the repair and right pic is before. Both rides are almost the same track. I will try again soon with the auto pause off. Hope this helps.

After repairAfter repairBefore repairBefore repair

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi Bob89,

Thanks for letting us know.

Please try again a few times as i suspect this is because of the factory reset. Try with and without the auto pause on and let us know how you get on.

I've seen numerous examples in the past where they replaced the main board in an attempt to fix and the repair did nothing.

0 Likes
TheRugbyProp
Explorer
Options

I used my Sport (after 'servicing') a few times this week and as expected the HR reading problems have not gone away. I was at the gym doing general workout stuff; cycle warm-up followed by miscellaneous weightlifing sets. Periodically, when I noticed a higher heart rate than I felt it should be (e.g. when walking around between sets and it's reading 120 bpm), I'd go to a cycle machine get it pedaling, grab the grips and compare it with the watch. As i guessed, my rate according to the cycle would be 90 or 95, while the watch could be reading 115, 120, 125, etc.

The 2nd workout after being serviced, using the "other workout" in SHealth, gave both reasonable and way-off readings before flat-lining at 150 bpm. At one point while flat-lined my real rate (per cycle grips) was about 95 bpm. Below I've pasted in the graph readings from SHealth. But I used Powerpoint to highlight specific areas.

TheRugbyProp
Explorer
Options

Sorry, having computer trouble getting a graph to insert into the response. The point is that the watch exhibits both periods of HR measurement error (both too low and too high of a reading), and more prolonged error readings that if it gets too large, the readings stop and the watch flat-lines (i.e. stops working).

This has become more frustrating and time-consuming that is warranted for a convenience purchase! 

I imported the images from SHealth. The first 30 minutes was a warm-up period, light weights followed by 20 minutes of cycle. There were no sudden bursts of effort and no reason for there to be any peaks in the HRM during the first 30 minutes.

The 2nd chart shows the next day, similar warmup, cycle, and weights. The sudden surge before it flat-lined at 150 was while I was walking around between weightlifting sets. You can see how it went up to about 150 then flat-lined. Sorry, can't get it to upload.

Workout 01.png

2nd day workout after being serviced

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

Morning all, 

Walked the dog for an hr this morning and left watch to it's own devices so picked walk up on auto detect. 

On going heart rate nightmare........ Screenshot_20180623-094610_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20180623-094624_Samsung Health.jpg

So despite having the HR set to constant, it's not reading constantly 😡 come on Samsung!! Get on this 

0 Likes
UrbanBikerMarc
Apprentice
Options

This issue is really maddening because HR works fine with my manually tracked walks and other exercises.

Screenshot_20180623-101602_Samsung Health copy.jpg

I really do not understand why only my cycling HR flatlines.

0 Likes
Dimigr
Journeyman
Options

My sport tracks ok my heart monitor thank God. My gear fit was a nightmare. I have checked it against a garmin chest heart rate monitor. Screenshot_20180623-092956_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20180623-093018_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
Dimigr
Journeyman
Options
How do you get this chart? Mine does not show it. Is it when HR always is on?
0 Likes
Stevevdb30000
Pioneer
Options

Did a very casual cycle ride round the city this morning with my fitbit ionic, HR tracked fine throughout. Screenshot belowScreenshot_20180623-105137_Fitbit.jpg