Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Sport Not Tracking Heart Rate When Exercising

(Topic created on: 15-05-2018 11:08 AM)
Stevevdb3000
First Poster
Options

Hi, is anyone else having this issue with their gear sport or gear S3?

I have had 3 gear S3's and now changed it to a gear sport and am still getting the same issue. 

When I first went out cycling with the gear sport yesterday, it tracked my HR just fine when displayed in the shealth app but since then it is just showing it go up and then a straight line which is obviously wrong. I think its a software issue. The gear S2 does it fine.

See graph 1st use and then whats happened since - before and after:1st use cycling1st use cycling

2nd use and onwards use2nd use and onwards use

490 REPLIES 490
Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

I have been having this issue recently. My gear sport only seems to be reading when I am sleeping. Did 4.5 mile run yesterday and Sunday and highest HR recorded was 79!! I'm obviously fitter than I realised!! It's so annoying and used to work fine. 

When I manually try to record I get a message saying "could not record heart rate. Please try again" even tho the graphic on the watch shows a lovely hr trace??? 

Samsung please can you sort this. 

CarlH
Options

Hi @Stevevdb3000 and @Celiawheelia. What phones are you currently connecting your watches to? Is the software all up to date? 

0 Likes
Stevevdb30000
Pioneer
Options

Hi, i did have it connected to an S8+ with all the software up to date. I now have the s9+ but gave up with samsung gears and moved to fitbit. It wasnt the desision i wanted to take but samsung was no help at all after extensive testing. It tracked my HR and gps fine the first time i used it for cycling but every time i used it after, it did that flat line thing in the graph. If i factory resetted it, it again worked fine with the first exercise but then started doing the flat line again. I would also add that the HR was quite inaccurate at times. When i tryed the walking exercise it had me at 115bpm! Which is way off. Shouldnt be anything like that high.

Stevevdb30000
Pioneer
Options
Hi, i did have it connected to an S8+ with all the software up to date. I now have the s9+ but gave up with samsung gears and moved to fitbit. It wasnt the desision i wanted to take but samsung was no help at all after extensive testing. It tracked my HR and gps fine the first time i used it for cycling but every time i used it after, it did that flat line thing in the graph. If i factory resetted it, it again worked fine with the first exercise but then started doing the flat line again. I would also add that the HR was quite inaccurate at times. When i tryed the walking exercise it had me at 115bpm! Which is way off. Shouldnt be anything like that high.
CarlH
Options

Did you send any error reports using the Members app, @Stevevdb30000?

0 Likes
Stevevdb30000
Pioneer
Options
I did weeks and weeks of tech support with samsung over the phone,sending it off and in the end they couldnt explain it and tried blaming the 4th - yes 4th watch id had. The retailer instructed their customer service team that if i was to call back again they were just to refund me rather than anymore replacements. So i ended up changing to fitbit.
0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Thanks for the info, @Stevevdb30000. If you do have any more issues with another Samsung device, get back in touch and I'll do what I can to help.

0 Likes
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

I have the exact same issue with my gear sport.

Heart rate hardly ever records whilst recording a workout.
It seems to stop whenever you stop and the watch auto pauses. After this the heart rate recording just doesn't resume.
My freind also has this issue on his gear S3. Its definately a software issue as i can look at my heart rate whenever on the phone throughout the day and it will show fine. It only happens when recording a workout.
It seems to fix it if you have continous heart rate tracking on but this is not a proper fix as it just records all day then.
I personally think its the Samsung health app on the watch.

I've sent a lenghty email to samsung regarding my findings and asked them to forward to their software development team but i just keep getting the same generic response as usual without them actual reading the email.

Celiawheelia
Pathfinder
Options

I agree. Have currently set my watch to continuous monitoring, which does mean I get tracking during exercise but it drains the battery terribly. 

When I first had my gear sport this wasn't an issue,it seems to be a recent thing. 

There has been a serious lack of moderator input on the community boards about this. 

I changed from fitbit to Samsung because of connectivity issues but Samsung seems to be having it's own problems