Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Gear S3 Frontier phone app crashes

(Topic created on: 25-10-2017 12:32 AM)
TechEnthusiast
Apprentice
Options

Hey!

On monday I got my new Gear S3 Frontier after setting everything up I discovered that opening the phone app on my watch would just cause the app to crash instantly.

Once I click the app icon to start it up it seems to try to load something because I see black screen with 3 dots on the side but not even a second later the app closes itself and throws me back to the app launcher. If I go into the recent apps I just see it as a big phone app icon and tapping on it still makes it try to load something, then crash and throw me back to the normal app launcher. 

Right now the only way I can dial a number that's not in my contacts list is to do an S Voice dial command which isn't nearly as nice as being able to use the Phone app to dial and see the call log.

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Slava
Apprentice
Options

So. Beer is on the table. Here is the answer to this puzzle. You wrote me that you reseted your watch and still no luck. It made me think. I called my friend who purchased a same watch the same day as I did. He has the same version of phone app as I do. He also have the same os version as I do and yet it works for him. Luckily he had the same apps and watch faces installed as I do. So the two watches are identical twins but mine is not working. The only difference we had is our call logs. Probably one of my contactd had a strange number or character in it. Delete your call log from your phone and restart your watch. Wait a few sec or ask someone to call you. Once the new log is synchronised with your watch it's gonna come back, since the phone app starts with your log by default. I deserve this beer :smiling-face:

View solution in context

9 REPLIES 9
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Possibly try clearing the apps cache and data. 

Unpair the watch and phone and delete the pairing. 

Then set it all back up again. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
TechEnthusiast
Apprentice
Options

Hey!

I cleared app cache for phone app on phone and gear app, reset gear to factory and paired & set up everything again but the phone app on watch still crashes and doesn't let me use it, not even sure what I can try next to fix it 😕

0 Likes
TechEnthusiast
Apprentice
Options

Not sure if double posting is allowed but I made a quick video to show the problem

Uploaded it here https://streamable.com/iwb52 you can see that the phone app tries to load but never loads in the end and just crashes straight back to the app launcher

0 Likes
Slava
Apprentice
Options

@TechEnthusiast wrote:

Hey!

On monday I got my new Gear S3 Frontier after setting everything up I discovered that opening the phone app on my watch would just cause the app to crash instantly.

Once I click the app icon to start it up it seems to try to load something because I see black screen with 3 dots on the side but not even a second later the app closes itself and throws me back to the app launcher. If I go into the recent apps I just see it as a big phone app icon and tapping on it still makes it try to load something, then crash and throw me back to the normal app launcher. 

Right now the only way I can dial a number that's not in my contacts list is to do an S Voice dial command which isn't nearly as nice as being able to use the Phone app to dial and see the call log.

Hey. Same problem here. I remember that it was working so it's either autoupdate was installing a newer version which doesn't work, or some of the Apps we installed are causing the problem. Funny but if someone is calling, the phone app works, it also works if you get the number from your contacts. Strange. Did you reset your watch? I was thinking to soft reset my watch, but if it doesn't help to solve the issue I rather wait for an update, before I wipe out my stuff. Cheers 😞

TechEnthusiast
Apprentice
Options
I did try to reset the watch but it didn't help at all, tried to use the app right as phone and watch paired again but just saw more issues, so even reset doesn't work 😕

I'm not sure if the watch got some update when I got it, but I agree that most likely it won't work till watch gets some update that also touches the phone app, because there doesn't seem a way to reinstall it otherwise.

I even sent an error feedback in Samsung Members last week but haven't gotten a single answer from them so I'll probably try to contact the actual customer service directly because it's weird that it still doesn't work and I cannot even use the phone app to type in numbers 😕
0 Likes
Slava
Apprentice
Options

@TechEnthusiast wrote:
I did try to reset the watch but it didn't help at all, tried to use the app right as phone and watch paired again but just saw more issues, so even reset doesn't work 😕

I'm not sure if the watch got some update when I got it, but I agree that most likely it won't work till watch gets some update that also touches the phone app, because there doesn't seem a way to reinstall it otherwise.

I even sent an error feedback in Samsung Members last week but haven't gotten a single answer from them so I'll probably try to contact the actual customer service directly because it's weird that it still doesn't work and I cannot even use the phone app to type in numbers 😕

@TechEnthusiast wrote:

Hey, I have a solution :smiling-face: case solved. Let me have a beer and I'll let you know.

0 Likes
Slava
Apprentice
Options

150988852263796062962.jpg

0 Likes
Solution
Slava
Apprentice
Options

So. Beer is on the table. Here is the answer to this puzzle. You wrote me that you reseted your watch and still no luck. It made me think. I called my friend who purchased a same watch the same day as I did. He has the same version of phone app as I do. He also have the same os version as I do and yet it works for him. Luckily he had the same apps and watch faces installed as I do. So the two watches are identical twins but mine is not working. The only difference we had is our call logs. Probably one of my contactd had a strange number or character in it. Delete your call log from your phone and restart your watch. Wait a few sec or ask someone to call you. Once the new log is synchronised with your watch it's gonna come back, since the phone app starts with your log by default. I deserve this beer :smiling-face:

TechEnthusiast
Apprentice
Options

Woop! You do deserve it, it works fine now!

I only tried to reset my phone/contact app on phone to see if it changes something but never thought about deleting call log, indeed I had one or two calls from a number without a name because it apparently doesn't want to save the private number ones in call log, so that might have been the issue too.

You should go get yourself another one for quick thinking :face-with-tears-of-joy: