Go to solution Solved

Gear S3 Frontier battery drain on Tizen 3.0.0.2

(Topic created on: 10-11-2018 10:11 AM)
cephalon
Apprentice
Options

Hi

I have recently updated my Gear S3 Frontier to Tizen 3.0.0.2
On Tizen 3.0.0.1, I had a battery life of approx 3 days - after updating to Tizen 3.0.0.2, I have a battery life of max 1,5 day.
1. Do other users experience the same?
2. Does anyone have an idea of what could suddenly drain my battery so quickly?

254 REPLIES 254
Unhappy123
Explorer
Options
Yes yes i have all the problems!! Surely Samsung we could not all be wrong!!
0 Likes
Unhappy123
Explorer
Options
Yes love a bit of help please,Has anyone got through to headoffice of Samsung
0 Likes
Unhappy123
Explorer
Options
Hi i have turned off notifications for samsung health but it still saying its using 40% even do i have forced stopped it
0 Likes
OMR
Apprentice
Options

Happened to me some weeks ago.
Handed it in for waranty repair.
They changed the motherboard. Uncertain if they changed the battery.
Before it was down 10-11% per hour. Now after repair it is down 9% in 5 hours. Looking good.

cromic
First Poster
Options

I haven't read through all of the messages and don't know if this was discussed (it is in other forums), but once I am off of a bluetooth connection with my phone and go on standalone, the battery drains dramatically...the same as everyone elses on this forum.  As long as I'm connected by bluetooth to my phone the watch will last over 2 days without a charge.  Once I'm on standalone connection the battery will last about 10 hours.  Don't know if there is a fix for this or just the way it works with the S3 Frontier.  Like everyone else I've tried various settings to no avail.  Just an FYI for you all.

0 Likes
Decyther
Journeyman
Options

It will drain a lot faster on standalone due to the Bluetooth radio goes into overdrive searching for a known connection to attach to. If you have WiFi set to auto that will drain the battery even faster as it's a major power drain in comparison to Bluetooth anyway.

If you know you are going to be out of range of your phone or WiFi for a while go into your settings and turn off Bluetooth and WiFi .

Gear S3 Frontier, Honor Play
0 Likes
REO1
Explorer
Options

Here what seems to work. 

1.  go into the following apps on your phone and clear the memory cache. 

Gear S Plugin

Galaxy wearable

Samsung Health

2.  Factory reset your watch

3.  Power off your watch

4. Power back up and go through the start up process again.  

There is an issue with the last SW update that for some reason kills battery life and SAMSUNG has no idea how to solve it.  After doing this my watch went from 8 hr batt life to about 20% battery use per day.  

I hope this helps.  

0 Likes
cromic
First Poster
Options

Thank you for the tip.  I've had this watch for a while.  Really have no major problems with it.  The manufacturer always says watch will last 2,3,4 whatever days on the battery but we all know that's not true. Those are optimal settings not normal use.  I believe it's more of a bluetooth/wifi/standalone issue than anything else.  I'll give your fix a try this weekend.  Who knows.  May just give it a little more battery life.  Thank you again!

0 Likes
REO1
Explorer
Options

Yes.  It appears to be Bluetooth issue.  I think this is driven by the SW update and the s gear plug in.  Clearing the mem cache seems to fix it for now.  Samsung still needs to address it.  Good luck.

0 Likes
RobLobster
Apprentice
Options

I get 3-4 days out of my watch no problem. I fixed this issue like a month ago by turning off the passive data collection feature on the watch and haven't had any problems with it since.

0 Likes