Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gear Fit 2 Pro GPS Inaccurate

(Topic created on: 11-06-2019 06:29 PM)
L1ng
Journeyman
Options

Hi there,

I've owned the Gear Fit 2 Pro for about a month now and I have to say I really like it - It has some great features for the price.

The only thing that is holding me back from loving the device is that the GPS when running seems to be pretty inaccurate in parts. I have so far recorded 2 identical runs (same distance) on the Samsung Health app and they are both difference in recorded distance and GPS (see images).

I have made sure that I have disconnected my phone in good time to allow for the watch to pick up its own GPS location but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

See the images for a small snippet of the runs - I have marked in red my actual route - The blue line denotes how the GPS recorded. Note that one says 1.68 miles and the other 2.28 miles even though they are the exact same distance.capture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

Could anyone tell me if they are having a similar experience?

Tom

53 REPLIES 53
CandaceR
First Poster
Options

I am also having inaccurate step / floor / running count readings. I recently switched from Fitbit to Samsung Gear and have found this tracker to be way off.  Has anyone received further information from Samsung about this? If it doesnt fix in a week, I will be returning it. 

0 Likes
Simmo3
First Poster
Options
I'm on my fourth one. Sick of returning them.
They dont care. My heart rate monitor only works while I'm sitting still. Soon as I exercise it stops reading. I've had my heart rate up to 160 bpm and my watch says 72 bpm. When you look closely it will be a time before you started exercising.
Not a real fitness tracker.
0 Likes
Catsfeet
Apprentice
Options

I have a Gear S3 and a Gear Fit2 Pro.  The S3 is always accurate but the Gear Fit2 Pro is usually inaccurate.  Interestingly, though, both are accurate when displayed on Strava.  I have S-Health connected to my Strava account.  If I go for a 6k run, the Gear Fit2 Pro shows about 10K but the same data on Strava shows 6K correctly.  This tells me the Fit2 Pro device is accurately measuring distance but it is not correctly plotted on the device or in S-Health.  I believe the problem is with the Fit2 Pro software and _should_ be able to be updated.  The S3 data always shows the correct distance on the device, in S-Health and on Strava.  To summarize, I think the Fit2 Pro hardware is fine and it needs a software update to correctly read/plot measured data.

0 Likes
Danielsan
Student
Options

@Catsfeet wrote:

I have a Gear S3 and a Gear Fit2 Pro.  The S3 is always accurate but the Gear Fit2 Pro is usually inaccurate.  Interestingly, though, both are accurate when displayed on Strava.  I have S-Health connected to my Strava account.  If I go for a 6k run, the Gear Fit2 Pro shows about 10K but the same data on Strava shows 6K correctly.  This tells me the Fit2 Pro device is accurately measuring distance but it is not correctly plotted on the device or in S-Health.  I believe the problem is with the Fit2 Pro software and _should_ be able to be updated.  The S3 data always shows the correct distance on the device, in S-Health and on Strava.  To summarize, I think the Fit2 Pro hardware is fine and it needs a software update to correctly read/plot measured data.

Thats exactly what I also saw. You can easily check this by exporting the gpx file from S-Health and show it in any GPX Viewer. If you open the file using a texteditor you see that it contains the calculated distance which is messed up and will be used by S-Health. I'm trying to tell exactly this to Samsung but they just don't listen and kept replacing the mainboard. Meanwhile I got my money back since they could *suprise suprise* not fix it by hardware repair.

0 Likes
Catsfeet
Apprentice
Options

Too bad they aren't paying attention.  I think it is a great device so I'm reluctant to dump it just yet.  We use them for swimming too (which is why I bought it) and there seem to be problems with lap counting too, but I haven't checked it often enough to prove this. There must be some edge cases where their calculations are simply incorrect; they need to do better debugging.  Actually, it can't be too much of an edge case judging by the number of complaints!  Hopefully they'll fix this distance problem in a future firmware release.

0 Likes
Tonja
First Poster
Options

My gearpro2 says i have burned 7566 calories I 1 hour...it's been doing this for the last 3 days..why. Can it be fixed. Thank you

0 Likes
Catsfeet
Apprentice
Options

Bad news.  My Gear Fit 2 Pro just died.  I sent it to Samsung's repair depot and they refused to honour the warranty (still in effect) because of "liquid damage".  I have been very careful to place the device in "Water" mode when swimming.  This is a two step process so there is the possibility of human error. Be careful before you submerse the device!  In any case, I chatted with a Samsung agent for an hour trying to get some compensation and they flatly denied my claim.  The device is now a trashed brick.  After my experience with Samsung on this issue, it is unlikely I will ever buy from them again.  When it is time to replace my other products, I will go elsewhere.  In short, I recommend staying away from Samsung!

Catsfeet
Apprentice
Options

Amazingly, after much deliberation, Samsung declared "goodwill" and repaired my watch, as a warranty repair. My faith in them isn't fully restored as it was an ordeal but I am happy to have a working device. I probably won't swim with it though.

0 Likes
Dgreek
First Poster
Options

Today is the first day I've had an inaccurate reading that I know of.  I've been using my watch for over one year now. My husband and I purchased our watches at the same time. He hasn't used his until today. We both started our workout at the same time and when we were done my trip was supposedly 5 miles when it was only 3.2 or so. I am also synced with my phone and the Samsung health app isn't showing today's workout. I have never experienced an issue until today and now I am so frustrated.

0 Likes
Catsfeet
Apprentice
Options

Interesting result.  As mentioned above, the summary calculations are often incorrect.  Looking at your results, 3.2 miles converts to about 5.1 kilometers.  Has your distance unit changed from miles to kilometers?  If not, then maybe Samsung's summary calculations have used the wrong units.

0 Likes