Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy watch run sync to strava issue

(Topic created on: 18-09-2018 09:01 PM)
joff1979
Apprentice
Options

I have had an issue with strava showing the wrong time and distance on my runs recorded via the new galaxy watch and synced via health. 

I initially raised this with strava and they looked into it on their side and came up with this response - 

"I looked at both of those activities and the problem is definitely caused by the data provided by Samsung Health. The data is just very inconsistent. First of all, there are only GPS points every 5 seconds, and Strava (and many other apps and devices) use 1 second sampling. The infrequent sampling contributes to inaccuracies. 

The second, and probably primary, issue is that the file shows many "stacked points" which cause problems with our data processing. This means that the file contains data points with time, but without GPS updates, and when we parse the data it looks like you're not moving at those points. So it looks like you're resting, and that resting time is removed from your pace calculations and makes your pace and moving time inaccurate."

Is there anything I can do to sort this? It is very annoying and it is looking like I am going to have to record runs on my phone as well as my watch. Are there any other watch apps that might record better than the Samsung app? 

Go to solution
13 REPLIES 13
RobertR
Apprentice
Options
Exactly, they look good, OS is good, oled is gorgeous but a lot of features is just a mimic, Galaxy watch is not working horse like Garmin.
0 Likes
AsGuusual
Journeyman
Options

With the correct apps the Galaxy / Gear S watches can be great activity trackers, but Samsung Health simply doesn't provide the functionality necessary to seriously practice sports without causing a lot of annoyance and frustration. I'm a massive advocate for an activity tracking app called Gear Tracker, which will probably do everything you need it to and more. It also includes a feature where you can select a specific run and tell the app to export it to Strava, after which it'll immediately show up on your Strava account so you can edit the title and description. I also had some inconsistencies between the watch and uploaded values when using Samsung Health for tracking, but Gear Tracker has been amazing. I recently did a YouTube review about the application, running through all its features, so if you're interested feel free to check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0IJiQFmrPE

0 Likes
FlorieJoy
Samsung Helper
Options

This is really helpful thanks

0 Likes
Mighty Book
First Poster
Options

I found this link, which helped me sync the correct timezone. here 

Basically if your activity does not use GPS, Strava will use location based on your profile. In my case, I use my facebook account to log in and never update any preference, so my location in Strava was 'null' . Update your timezone in your Profile via Strava website (not the app). Hope this helps.

0 Likes