Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch rash

(Topic created on: 30-09-2018 02:30 PM)
Roro87
Apprentice
Options

Rash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watchRash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watch

I received my pre ordered Samsung Gear 46mm 2018 watch on September 7th 2018 and have been wearing it often. Remove it for showering and charging and sometimes I sleep with it.

Recently iv noticed this rash developing and it slightly irritates me. The rash area is sore red and it looks like the skin is stretched or burnt. Th picture does bit show as clear as seen in person.

Iv done some googling and found a few people complain about similar rash on the older gear watches. They state it could be the strap and say to try it on the other hand to see if you have an allergic reaction etc.

I have a bit of an issue with this, I am a contractor and work with my hands, if this causes something more serious or stops me from doing my work it would be financially un-beneficial for me.

I have been tested befoe for allergies and my results came back clear so I dont know exactly what going on. 

If anybody from Samsung or otherwise can provide some insight into my situation please let me know asap. It's a bit annoying paying 300 quid for a watch that's going to give me a rash

Cheers

491 REPLIES 491
Adrians2
Student
Options
Many thanks! Will do the same then.
0 Likes
csjring
First Poster
Options

49304696_761411217559915_1164624444379889664_n.jpg49106969_1216350365169700_5415833866243932160_n.jpg49187711_278047742882448_7577447570100715520_n.jpg49170066_965483040242656_8136446248098988032_n.jpg

I also have the same issue, bought around 2 months ago, wore it a few times and started a rash each time, stopped wearing it for a while incase it was another factor, wore it for less than a day on Monday and it's made my wrist red raw, not only where the strap is but also a circular mark where the sensor is. The strap was not tight, and was not wet either. Samsung customer support are absolutely useless for me too and it's obvious they don't want to admit there is a problem with their watch.

0 Likes
Sletto
Explorer
Options

i had the same rashes, as I've written before.
I replaces the band on the watch with one in leather, that covered the bottom of the watch while giving the rashes time to heal.
Before wearing the watch with the original watch again, I washed and dried the bottom of the watch with a solvent cleaner used to prep parts for paint (removes any trace of fat, and other stuff).

After also using hand soap and dried it , I started wearing the watch again, 6 weeks ago.
Have not had any issues with the watch after that.

This leads me to believe that the problem causing the rashes is a lack of cleaning after production, i.e. traces of chemicals used to lace the molds with to get the parts to not stick.

if this is because samsung wants to save money, or because their manufacturer have made a short cut, I dont know...

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Hi @csjring and @Sletto.

When you wear the Galaxy Watch for a long time or do a high-intensity exercise while wearing it, skin irritation may occur due to friction and pressure. If you are wearing your Galaxy Watch for a long time, remove the Galaxy Watch from your wrist and do not wear your Galaxy Watch for several hours.

• Skin irritation may occur due to an allergy, environment factors, other factors, or when your skin is exposed to soap or sweat for long periods. In this case, stop using your Galaxy Watch and wait 2 or 3 days for the symptoms to ease. If the symptoms persist or worsen, immediately call your doctor.
  • Make sure your skin is dry before wearing your Galaxy Watch. If you wear a wet Galaxy Watch for a long time, your skin may be affected.
  • If you use your Galaxy Watch in the water, remove foreign materials from your skin and Galaxy Watch and dry them thoroughly to prevent the skin irritation.

• Do not use any accessories except the Galaxy Watch in the water.

0 Likes
MarkyFY
Explorer
Options

@CarlH wrote:

Hi @csjring and @Sletto.

When you wear the Galaxy Watch for a long time or do a high-intensity exercise while wearing it, skin irritation may occur due to friction and pressure. If you are wearing your Galaxy Watch for a long time, remove the Galaxy Watch from your wrist and do not wear your Galaxy Watch for several hours.

• Skin irritation may occur due to an allergy, environment factors, other factors, or when your skin is exposed to soap or sweat for long periods. In this case, stop using your Galaxy Watch and wait 2 or 3 days for the symptoms to ease. If the symptoms persist or worsen, immediately call your doctor.
  • Make sure your skin is dry before wearing your Galaxy Watch. If you wear a wet Galaxy Watch for a long time, your skin may be affected.
  • If you use your Galaxy Watch in the water, remove foreign materials from your skin and Galaxy Watch and dry them thoroughly to prevent the skin irritation.

• Do not use any accessories except the Galaxy Watch in the water.

With all due respect, that is pretty rubbish advice.

This is a smart watch that is designed to be worn 24/7. The strap should not cause allergic reactions under any circumstances. I've been through all this with Samsung Customer Support back in October/November last year and I received a part-refund towards the cost of a replacement strap. Since wearing a leather strap 24/7 over the past 6 weeks I have had no recurrence of the rash/burns/blistering I experienced with the Samsung silcone strap.

Pretty poor that a premium product like this is shipped with a silicone strap. The Sport models are fine to be supplied with silicone but the premium Galaxy Watch 42 and 46mm should be supplied with leather straps.

My advice to anyone is 1) take photos and 2) pester Samsung Customer Support (not this forum).

csjring
First Poster
Options

@MarkyFY What did you say to get a discount on the strap? I've been talking to support all day, they've said that they'll only investigate the watch if I go to the Dr. And get a written statement from them saying that the watch has caused irritation or burning. It's ridiculous because I now live in Belgium so I'll have to pay for that appointment. And even then, they'll probably send back the watch and say there's nothing wrong with it. They even suggested to me that I sell the watch on. I'm thinking of buying the Nato premium watch strap but don't really wanna pay £23 for it just to be able to wear a watch I paid £230 for 

0 Likes
MarkyFY
Explorer
Options

@csjring wrote:

@MarkyFY What did you say to get a discount on the strap? I've been talking to support all day, they've said that they'll only investigate the watch if I go to the Dr. And get a written statement from them saying that the watch has caused irritation or burning. It's ridiculous because I now live in Belgium so I'll have to pay for that appointment. And even then, they'll probably send back the watch and say there's nothing wrong with it. They even suggested to me that I sell the watch on. I'm thinking of buying the Nato premium watch strap but don't really wanna pay £23 for it just to be able to wear a watch I paid £230 for 

Take plenty of photos and if you haven’t already done so then post them here (edit: I see you have posted them here, and they are exactly the same as my reaction to the strap) and send them to Customer Support. It is crazy to ask for a doctors statement as it is clear to everyone that the watch is responsible. There are more than enough documented examples of this reaction to the Samsung silicone strap. Even the S3 watch exhibited the same issues.

suggesting that you re-sell the watch is outrageous. It doesn’t address the problem just shifts it on to someone else. You make a loss and don’t have a lovely Samsung Galaxy Watch to wear. The watch really is great, just a shame about a strap that affects so many people.

My Samsung watch was replacing a Fitbit Blaze I’d been wearing almost constantly for 2 years with no issue.

After being issued a part-refund by Samsung UK, I bought a leather strap from Amazon for about £15. Good quality and no burning or blistering.

just stand your ground, and demand that they at least cover the cost of a replacement strap. Spouting small-print from user guides does not dissolve Samsung of their rights to provide products that do not cause harm.

0 Likes
DaveP
Apprentice
Options

But why would you buy a expensive smart watch to track your activity to only have to leave it sat on the shelf because it irritates your skin? Part of the USP is a long battery life so it can stay on wrist longer. I've had a Fit Pro 2 and had No issues. Before that an I watch. There clearly is an issue, what are Samsung going to do to resolve it? 

0 Likes
valvestate
Journeyman
Options

Oh I thought I'm the only one having this issue! I've been having this nasty issue lately and it is becoming to be really irritating. It seems the affected area's coming from the strap near the watch itself. 

Any update from Samsung on this? I have a nearby Samsung store here and I can drop them a visit and hear what they have to say on this in person. 20190103_112624.jpg20190103_112633.jpgCapture2.JPG

This is VERY itchy... so now I've resorted in using my other metal wrist analog watch... 

0 Likes
NikkoE
Journeyman
Options

Before swapping to my Fintie nylon band, I used Isopropyl alcohol on the HR sensor and underside of the rubber/silicone strap. It helped reduced the rashes I was getting from the silver ring around the HR sensor and from the stock band.

After a few weeks of using the Fintie nylon band, my rashes have completely disappeared and I have been able to use the GW 24/7 aside from taking it off for showering and charging. Highly recommend the nylon strap as it doesn't dig into my skin like the stock one does and feels like I'm barely wearing the watch.

0 Likes