Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch rash

(Topic created on: 30-09-2018 02:30 PM)
Roro87
Apprentice
Options

Rash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watchRash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watch

I received my pre ordered Samsung Gear 46mm 2018 watch on September 7th 2018 and have been wearing it often. Remove it for showering and charging and sometimes I sleep with it.

Recently iv noticed this rash developing and it slightly irritates me. The rash area is sore red and it looks like the skin is stretched or burnt. Th picture does bit show as clear as seen in person.

Iv done some googling and found a few people complain about similar rash on the older gear watches. They state it could be the strap and say to try it on the other hand to see if you have an allergic reaction etc.

I have a bit of an issue with this, I am a contractor and work with my hands, if this causes something more serious or stops me from doing my work it would be financially un-beneficial for me.

I have been tested befoe for allergies and my results came back clear so I dont know exactly what going on. 

If anybody from Samsung or otherwise can provide some insight into my situation please let me know asap. It's a bit annoying paying 300 quid for a watch that's going to give me a rash

Cheers

491 REPLIES 491
PVasconcelos
Journeyman
Options

Thanks. That's a great armband. Did you bought it online?

0 Likes
PVasconcelos
Journeyman
Options

If they don't give me a leather band free of charge I will make a formal complain to the European Consumer Agency against Samsung.

I will also post this situation, with photos and documents, in every media, social network, youtube, forum and website that talks or writes anything about the Galaxy Watch.

I suggest you all do the same if Samsung sh*ts on you.

MarkyFY
Explorer
Options

Yep, I noticed a slight rash a couple of weeks back but only just noticed how bad it is getting. I've reported it to Samsung, but so far all that has come back has been:

• stop using your Galaxy watch and wait for 2 or 3 days for the symptoms to ease
  • If you wear your watch for a long time, your skin may be affected

This is a smart watch that is designed to be worn 24/7 (for sleep monitoring, etc) and it seems that it is incapable of carrying out that basic function of a watch... to be worn without causing issues. skin reacttion to lower part of strap. Upper part of wrist is the same.skin reacttion to lower part of strap. Upper part of wrist is the same.

AString75
First Poster
Options

I just got the 42mm Rose Gold watch and now have what seems to be a burn or rash on my wrist....exactly where the watch sits. It is very frustrating since I spent so much on the watch. 😞  Other than that, I absolutely love the watch.

MarkyFY
Explorer
Options

So... Samsung have considered their response and now emailed back saying:

"Thank you for your email.

With regards to your concern, we regret to inform you that based on the investigation and assessment of our Product Liaison Team that the skin allergy that you are complaining is not accepted as product liaison case, therefore we will not be able to proceed with any resolution, as it is included in the terms and condition agreement in "band tips and precautions" reminder section.

We appreciate your patience and understanding."

I wasn't aware of anywhere that says I will spend £299 on a Samsung Galaxy Watchand be unable to wear it due to some strange issue with its cheap rubber strap?

Up to 7 days battery life (real world 4 days) and a device designed to be worn 24/7 for health and sleep monitoring etc, and I am now unable to wear it. And Samsung seem to believe this is acceptable.

Get real Samsung... you need to come back with something satisfactory to resolve this problem for EVERYONE who is suffering as a result of problems with this strap!

@MarkyFY wrote:

Yep, I noticed a slight rash a couple of weeks back but only just noticed how bad it is getting. I've reported it to Samsung, but so far all that has come back has been:

• stop using your Galaxy watch and wait for 2 or 3 days for the symptoms to ease
  • If you wear your watch for a long time, your skin may be affected

This is a smart watch that is designed to be worn 24/7 (for sleep monitoring, etc) and it seems that it is incapable of carrying out that basic function of a watch... to be worn without causing issues. skin reacttion to lower part of strap. Upper part of wrist is the same.skin reacttion to lower part of strap. Upper part of wrist is the same.

Xp
Student
Options

I am also getting a rash from the black band on the 42mm galaxy watch... Has never happened from any other watch I've ever had with all types of bands... 

1542270226553585373779574457073.jpg

nightshade
First Poster
Options

im not sure how much help this will be to others, but im very familliar with contact dermatitis and chemical burns.

first of all stop wearing the watch and get anyliquid paraffin cream such as epiderm and apply twice a day after washing. i was given it for severe 2nd degree and 3rd degree chemical burns after they had healed so were no longer open wounds but was unable to straighten my knee because of a extreme version of what everyone here is noticing. it cleared up amazingly fast with paraffin based creams.

my guesses as to whats going on here:

if it is a materials issue, i observed an extremely strong acetone smell on both my own and others watches i refused to wear mine untill i swapped the strap out and washed untill the smell had faded. no one else noticed anything other than a faint smell, but i could distinctly smell acetone very very strongly.

the strap needs to be worn tightly for the hr sensor, and being non breathable it traps moisture from sweat. that would start to breakdown the top layers of skin if it is constantly moist.

soap and detergent residue from handwashing in that same moisture trapping enviroment with constant contact really can cause 1st and 2nd degree chemical burns very quickly. i had full thickness burns from a detergent used in almost every liquid soap and shower gel, even verry dillute amounts will cause contact dermatitis over a few days.

my questions to samsung would be: 

what plastic is the case back made of?

and

why would the strap and to a lesser extent the watch casing give off acetone fumes?

Lindtbunny87
First Poster
Options

@nightshade wrote:

im not sure how much help this will be to others, but im very familliar with contact dermatitis and chemical burns.

first of all stop wearing the watch and get anyliquid paraffin cream such as epiderm and apply twice a day after washing. i was given it for severe 2nd degree and 3rd degree chemical burns after they had healed so were no longer open wounds but was unable to straighten my knee because of a extreme version of what everyone here is noticing. it cleared up amazingly fast with paraffin based creams.

my guesses as to whats going on here:

if it is a materials issue, i observed an extremely strong acetone smell on both my own and others watches i refused to wear mine untill i swapped the strap out and washed untill the smell had faded. no one else noticed anything other than a faint smell, but i could distinctly smell acetone very very strongly.

the strap needs to be worn tightly for the hr sensor, and being non breathable it traps moisture from sweat. that would start to breakdown the top layers of skin if it is constantly moist.

soap and detergent residue from handwashing in that same moisture trapping enviroment with constant contact really can cause 1st and 2nd degree chemical burns very quickly. i had full thickness burns from a detergent used in almost every liquid soap and shower gel, even verry dillute amounts will cause contact dermatitis over a few days.

my questions to samsung would be: 

what plastic is the case back made of?

and

why would the strap and to a lesser extent the watch casing give off acetone fumes?

My wrist seems to be worse than most. Mines blistering and weeping.  Had the watch 2 weeks. 

20181118_153241.jpg

20181118_153217.jpg

20181118_144434.jpg

20181118_153145.jpg

Kara22
First Poster
Options

These pictures do not do my "rash" justiceThese pictures do not do my "rash" justice

20181119_131957.jpg

I'm a nurse. I've worn mine the same. Taking it off to shower and charge.. I've never gotten it wet and I keep very good hygiene. The area in which my watch has been irritating is now actually scarring....

ACollins
Apprentice
Options

Left wrist watch strap irritation.Left wrist watch strap irritation.

I've had exactly the same. Quite concerning. This is my left wrist. Been wearing the watch since release day and the past week or so I've developed this irritation. I take the watch off at night but wearing it during the day. For those who posted previously any response or luck in minimising or stopping this?