Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy watch rash

(Topic created on: 15-04-2019 02:30 PM)
Roro87
Apprentice
Options

Rash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watchRash on part of my wrist from wearing the new 2018 46mm watch

I received my pre ordered Samsung Gear 46mm 2018 watch on September 7th 2018 and have been wearing it often. Remove it for showering and charging and sometimes I sleep with it.

Recently iv noticed this rash developing and it slightly irritates me. The rash area is sore red and it looks like the skin is stretched or burnt. Th picture does bit show as clear as seen in person.

Iv done some googling and found a few people complain about similar rash on the older gear watches. They state it could be the strap and say to try it on the other hand to see if you have an allergic reaction etc.

I have a bit of an issue with this, I am a contractor and work with my hands, if this causes something more serious or stops me from doing my work it would be financially un-beneficial for me.

I have been tested befoe for allergies and my results came back clear so I dont know exactly what going on. 

If anybody from Samsung or otherwise can provide some insight into my situation please let me know asap. It's a bit annoying paying 300 quid for a watch that's going to give me a rash

Cheers

491 REPLIES 491
lexamom
First Poster
Options

I just stopped wearing it until everything healed.. and now I have bought a fabric band instead of the silicone material. I may also turn off the heartrate monitor.    Too bad.. but I don't want this to happen again.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

That's not good @Kljmoss 

There are a couple of other threads on the forum here from a few people reporting the same.

I'd suggest to contact Samsung Customer Services and ask them what the options are but for now if this was my situation I'd discontinue wearing it for now to let your skin recover.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
FrankE
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same problem. Did you hear anything from Samsung?

0 Likes
Irishman
First Poster
Options

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DKTSF5vTzk7CgCyP9

Its not as bad now as I havent been wearing the watch & when I do I move it up my wrist. I have had nothing but issues with the watch but I chose to stick it out.. now I cant even wear it? this some BS.

0 Likes
Ad1973
Journeyman
Options

Samsung is an irresponsible brand ! They have launched their brand of watches without subjecting their bands to appropriate testing for being safe on human skin. The brand's irresponsibility is evident - despite so many people posting about rashes, there is no response from the company. I an sure they source their straps from dunious companies. 

0 Likes
Ad1973
Journeyman
Options
What can you do about it? The key to preventing the rash recurring is to remove the allergen altogether by avoiding wearing the item that’s irritating the skin. For those who wear medical bracelets, this is not always a straightforward option. Dr Wong suggests having your watch strap changed, or in the case of jewellery opt to use inert metals such as platinum and gold. “Wearing straps looser to minimise pressure and friction will also help.” She explains. To identify exactly what's triggering your flare-ups, Dr Bewley suggests keeping a skin diary: “Note the affects that a piece of wrist wear has and see how your skin improves over time,” he says. As for treating the symptoms, Dr Wong says that the eczema can be easily treated with cortisone creams and moisturisers. Dr Bewley says this is most effective when applied after showering to help protect the skin as a barrier. Weaker creams like hydrocortisone are available over the counter. If after trying this the symptoms do not settle, you may need to see a GP or dermatologist to get a stronger cortisone available on prescription. “Some people with dry skin or eczema may find their skin is easily irritated by harsh and strong ingredients in soaps. Therefore, avoid forming soap agents and instead try a soap substitute such as Cetraben Daily Cleansing Cream which can be less drying on the skin. “It is also beneficial to shower in lukewarm water as opposed to hot and it's important to remember not to scrub your skin too hard as this can irritate it further,” Dr Bewley says.
0 Likes
Fitoneto
First Poster
Options

Hello! I got the Galaxy Rash after a few days after using my brand new watch. Just over the watch, not the belt.

You know what they say, if the problem persist go to your physician. Well, I´m a physician (a geek one) and I didnt knew what was happening with my skin (sorry 4 the english). The materials of which the watch is made, look harmless. There is a chance of getting alergies to almost any compound in earth, but, most allergies are common. Metal allergies are not so usual, unless you are a piercing fan.

One day in the night work, I removed my watch because the rash and in the dark looked the strong green light the device uses to test for the hearth rate. Then I searched how often the watch does this by default, and its every 10 minutes.

Well, in medicine not every solution works for every person. But for me, turn off the hearth rate sensor was the solution for the rash. I can say that I have a photosensitive skin that reacts to repetitive exposure to the strong light of this sensor. Photosensitivity its way lot common that other types of allergies.

Try it at home, if you have the rash over the watch, were the sensor lights the skin (like me). The setup its kinda hidden, but there it is:

APPS / Samsung Health / HR Monitor / Options (right 3 dots) / Setup / NEVER!*

Hope it helps you. Samsung needs to study this, and post some clarifications, if this is true.

* You can turn on monitor when doing excersise. The problem its from repetitive and continuos exposure, unless you are very very sensitive to light.

0 Likes
Rash3
First Poster
Options

Hi! Did you get any response from Samsung ? I had the same problem last year, I stopped wearing it thought it was the hot weather and the sweat but I changed straps and everything and still it’s just under the watch, seems like the sensors are the ones causing the rash. 

0 Likes
Johnasee
Journeyman
Options

For some reason those steps dont completely turn off the green sensor, had a Samsung customer service rep say there was no way to  completely turn it off

0 Likes
EmJayKay
Explorer
Options

I was interested by a recent post which suggested the green sensor light might play a part - I then read more about photosensitivity and skin rash, how different colours/spectrum of light can cause photosensitivity (for example, causing a sunburn type rash, blisters etc). But as I'd been wearing my watch for over 9 months without previous issue, I dismissed this.... But it turns out certain medications can also increase photosensitivity,  because of a reaction between the light and something in the meds (meds such as antidepressants for an example). I had taken new meds when the rash started, then stopped taking them after a month, and now, another month or so later, the rash has cleared up (and I still wear the watch with original silicon strap). Could obviously be coincidence, but interesting the rash came and went with the medication. The other thing was, at the time, I'd noticed the sensor activating a whole lot more than usual (the green light flickering) as I remember checking with my friend if there's had been doing the same. 

0 Likes