Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch not measuring Heart rate

(Topic created on: 06-03-2019 05:47 PM)
M1ch3ll3
Apprentice
Options

I have the new Galaxy watch, received on 7th September and after 1 recorded exercise the heart rate monitor is flatlining after 10 minutes. 

First walk

Screenshot_20180913-113612_Samsung Health.jpg

First run below

Screenshot_20180913-113603_Samsung Health.jpg

Second recorded walk

Screenshot_20180913-113553_Samsung Health.jpg

I am annoyed as I want to keep track of my heart rate during exercise. I also wonder if this effects the calories burned if it cannot record the heart rate correctly. 

This appears to be a common theme for Samsung watches as my husbands S3 did the same, purchased Sept 2017, at the beginning of the year. 

433 REPLIES 433
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

@lisafox16 Hey Lisa, yes Im still here still struggling along :smiling-face:

The manual reading fix does indeed work for me too but during a workout its a right pain to suddenly have to stop, disable 'always', take a reading then restart. Disrupts the workout completely, Im think of moving toward an upper arm tracker (Polar) as others in the FB group have good feedback on them.

I may concede defeat on this one and just use as a smartwatch, with the Active due out this week I doubt its going to be resolved going forward, it must be a major problem or surely they would have fixed by now?

Maybe it depends on the type of workout, I mainly do HIIT stuff, so lots of jumping around although its also bad on weights and even auto detected workouts like simply walks at lunch. Since the last update the HR wont even start on several of the pre-defined workourts such as 'Other', Circuits is the only one I can actually get to start reading on.

Anyway, hope your well and glad its improved for you.:hand-with-index-and-middle-fingers-crossed:

AndreiV
Navigator
Options

Today always on HR readingsSmartSelect_20190305-185611_Samsung Health.jpg

SmartSelect_20190305-185455_Samsung Health.jpg

SmartSelect_20190305-185509_Samsung Health.jpg

SmartSelect_20190305-185521_Samsung Health.jpg

SmartSelect_20190305-185533_Samsung Health.jpg

SmartSelect_20190305-185543_Samsung Health.jpg

SmartSelect_20190305-185553_Samsung Health.jpg

SmartSelect_20190305-185603_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
Rach77
Pathfinder
Options

Thats shocking.

0 Likes
AntoSavinelli
First Poster
Options

Hello,

For me works checking for software updates, even if I know my version is the latest. Somehow this "wakes up" the heart rate sensor again.

Not very nice to do, but it's quick, waiting for an update which fix this annoying bug.

Cheers

Antonio

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

@lisafix16 - Forgot to say, another odd thing I have found is that whenever I am at my health club the HR stops tracking on arrival. That may sound strange but each and every time I go to start the workout I notice the HR tracking stopped lets say 7 minutes ago (when I walked in). Manual measurement starts it again until it then stops again during the workout!

I've only noticed this behavior at this location, maybe its happening everywhere but I just don't see it as Im not starting workouts :smiling-face:

0 Likes
lisafox16
Voyager
Options

Strange. I've noticed whenever I start or stop a workout it takes a while to pick up the heart rate. It does seem so problematic. If Garmin can have a reliable optical heart rate monitor why can't Samsung? 

0 Likes
AndreiV
Navigator
Options

Sent already hundred reports to Samsung hoping they will read system logs.

I've noticed that when it is working even if you raise the watch to stop measurements and then release it, the HR starts in 1-2 seconds. When it go crazy I have to put it manually for several times to make it working again. So the sensor is ok tehnically, it just freeze from time to time and instead of having a self restart it just freeze. Definitely should be fixed with a software update but when????

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

@AndreiV As I understand it that is exactly what the Gear Tracker App does, it restarts the HR sensor when it fails which it does quite often.

During my testing on 60 minutes HIIT circuit, Gear Tracker showed the sensor had been restarted 29 times in an hour, if a standalone developer (albeit very clever) can find & fix the issue why the hell cant Samsung.

Becuase they dont care I suspect :thinking-face: 

0 Likes
CHM
Journeyman
Options

My problem is not only does the HR measurements stop and flatline but also that when it measures the HR, the measurements are incorrect. Very frequently it shows approximately double my actual HR. For instance it shows a HR of 110 when I am sitting in front of my computer with an actual HR of approximately 55.

0 Likes
AndreiV
Navigator
Options

@CHM 

Can you make a picture? It's showing live reading or you see there Measuring message? Usually happens to me when it fails to read, I often see it 120-130bpm but now showing live HR but keep trying to measure and fails. As a suggestion try to wear it a bit tighter

0 Likes