Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch not measuring Heart rate

(Topic created on: 07-11-2018 02:14 PM)
M1ch3ll3
Apprentice
Options

I have the new Galaxy watch, received on 7th September and after 1 recorded exercise the heart rate monitor is flatlining after 10 minutes. 

First walk

Screenshot_20180913-113612_Samsung Health.jpg

First run below

Screenshot_20180913-113603_Samsung Health.jpg

Second recorded walk

Screenshot_20180913-113553_Samsung Health.jpg

I am annoyed as I want to keep track of my heart rate during exercise. I also wonder if this effects the calories burned if it cannot record the heart rate correctly. 

This appears to be a common theme for Samsung watches as my husbands S3 did the same, purchased Sept 2017, at the beginning of the year. 

433 REPLIES 433
Adamson
Journeyman
Options

Samsung galaxy watch heart rate monitor in gym is shockingly bad 

Bad bad bad and hopeless 

It loses the ability to track heart rate all the time with slightest arm movements

Running it is slightly better 

But you can connect a heart rate monitor chest strap to s health on the phone and use that - this works well 

So for gym conditions the watch is useless whereas the phone with a third party heart band works fine 

Given Samsung cannot provide an accurate heart rate monitor through wrist measurement the ability to use a third party chest strap would we useful 

Apple watch allows this 

rerito
First Poster
Options

Ive had the 42mm Galaxy watch for about a week. Heart rate sensor is way off during workouts when it's not just flatlining.

After doing heavy lifting my heart rate peaks around 180+ bpm yet when I get a reading (if I do get one), it's never over 140...

As others have pointed, it seems to get worse when sweating a lot. Tightening the watch does help a bit but it is clearly too uncomfortable to be an actual workaround.

Disclaimer: I made sure my firmware and apps were updated, I didn't try a reset yet though.

0 Likes
Patong
Apprentice
Options

After a few weeks of having no issues at all I am suddenly very disappointed again. On business in Bangkok and wanted to get some 'fresh' air. I wore the Galaxy Watch but did not have my phone (not sure if that makes any difference?).

My heart rate monitor was flashing the whole time but no readings, I was flatlining for the whole walk!! I tightended, I loosened, I paused, I started again, I tightended again, I stopped completely and rebooted...... nothing! What a piece of engineeering *****!! 

When I looked at my heart rate outside of the tracking app, it gave a flatline of 138. My altitude increaed by 122ft but I was walking around a lake (that did recover after re-boot).

I also did try somehting different that gor the HR to work, I used the stress monitor app. That did seems to reset the HR monitor which hints this may be SW related. Maybe this thing just doesn't have enough momory alocation for all the things happening during fitness tracking.

Either way, it's *****! Really *****. If you are looking to buy Galaxy Watch for fitness and you happen on this, make sure you have right to return, or buy a Garmin.

Very disappointed in this product and in misleading reviews and ads.

0 Likes
Inzaghi007
Apprentice
Options

I actually love my samsung watch. Looks awesome and the ui is good. I have noticed the hrm issue especially when working out. Mines does not exceed 130bpm before blanking out. 

For me the workaround is using under armors app called endomondo. It seems to catch my heart rate with my hiit jump pretty well. Seems software so I'm hoping they fix it. 

I also have doubts in S healths pedometer and calorie burn. Maybe somebody else can shed light on its accuracy. 

Bernardo5
Pioneer
Options

I've tried Endomondo as well and it seems to work. However it doesn't seem to sync heartrate to S Health

Inzaghi007
Apprentice
Options
Yip the sync between endomondo and s health seems broken. I just manually input into s health.
0 Likes
Inzaghi007
Apprentice
Options

So after the latest update with the REM tracking, I have had issues with endo app not showing my heart rate. While I loved every other aspect of the device, its fitness tracking lags far behind the competition.

I decided to let go of this device and move to apple which seems to have a solid fitness tracking smartwatch. Its a pity Samsung but your watch is at least 2 years behind apple. 

0 Likes
Rach77
Pathfinder
Options
I have had the same problem. The workout doesn't show at all on S Health. Heart rate however tracks well but useless if it doesn't sync to S Health.
0 Likes
keithmi5
First Poster
Options

I'm really hacked off with my Galaxy so far.  It looks cool and the notifications are good but its operation regarding activity tracking is so poor.  Same issues as already mentioned re heart monitoring. No records during any kind of wrist movement; extra tight straps improve but don't solve it; adding BPMs to the max when moving my arm (that or I'm about to have a cardiac arrest!) and having to reset it to get it working again. I found wearing a sweatband over it during squash games helps but that should not be necessary.  I'm also finding the Bluetooth connection to my Nokia 6.1 to be temperamental, constantly having to be reconnected,  and the app seems to be poorly designed with extra teeny weeny text hard to read. So either the watch has a poor HRM and cruddy app design or I've got a dodgy ticker and failing eyesight......Hmmm

My old £100 fit bit does a better job of the activity monitoring so I might go back to that to make me feel young again! 

The Samsung does look cool but I'm seriously thinking of asking for a refund  - not fit for purpose! 

m4tthall
Explorer
Options
HR is a complete waste of time on the Galaxy Watch. It is broken and it doesn't seem like Samsung know how to fix it. If you care about HR I think you need to look elsewhere. I have given up with hoping it will be close to how good my old Garmin Forerunner was.
0 Likes