Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch not measuring Heart rate

(Topic created on: 28-05-2019 05:57 AM)
M1ch3ll3
Apprentice
Options

I have the new Galaxy watch, received on 7th September and after 1 recorded exercise the heart rate monitor is flatlining after 10 minutes. 

First walk

Screenshot_20180913-113612_Samsung Health.jpg

First run below

Screenshot_20180913-113603_Samsung Health.jpg

Second recorded walk

Screenshot_20180913-113553_Samsung Health.jpg

I am annoyed as I want to keep track of my heart rate during exercise. I also wonder if this effects the calories burned if it cannot record the heart rate correctly. 

This appears to be a common theme for Samsung watches as my husbands S3 did the same, purchased Sept 2017, at the beginning of the year. 

433 REPLIES 433
GeorgeHudson
First Poster
Options

After purchasing mine in September, it has been returned to Samsung 5 times of which the HR sensor and mobo have been changed 3 times and Samsung has finally decided to allow me a full refund. The watch went back to Samsung 1 week ago and I am waiting for money to turn up in my account. I was told 10 to 14 days. If your watch does not meet the purpose for which it was bought, in my case fitness and heart rate tracking, keep returning the watch for repair. After three repairs they will offer an alternative solution. It may not be a full refund though. This was my experience.

0 Likes
GeorgeHudson
First Poster
Options
Full refund was in my account this morning 3.5 months after starting complaining. Best of luck but hopefully Samsung will just fix the problem.
0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

@AndreiV -- How is the Fenix for HR during workouts? This is what I want after I sell the GW? It has a lot of fitness features doesn't it, training load, recovery etc?

0 Likes
AndreiV
Navigator
Options

@GaryBrett 

Indeed, a lot of features however I'm missing the bright and colourful display of Galaxy Watch :smiling-face: Fenix display is good only outside or with good light inside, if you use its backlight it's pretty ugly more like a 20 yo watch :smiling-face:

However as about workout, everything is amazing, on rare occasions it fails to show raised HR (or slower in reading) during running, but are very rare. What is Very different from Samsung is that even it read a bit slow sometimes, it is constantly, not a single drop or flatline. During weights sometimes it show low values but again, constantly. The galaxy watch during gym was faster responsive while it was reading but without a reason the HR sensor freezes for half of my workout. Never happened with Garmin, never ever

Still thinking if I should switch back because I've read that with this latest update there are improvements in HR reading but not sure

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

Thanks 

The Fenix display was a concern to me too, its the one area where the GW shines but fails miserably on the workout HR. Its got to the point where I now I use a 3 year old Fitbit Charge HR when doing any resistance or HIIT training.

Ive held back from selling the GW until this OneUI update drops in the UK, Ill give it a good hammering at the gym & pop back and update you on its accuracy or most probably lack of :smiling-face:

Cheers

0 Likes
AndreiV
Navigator
Options

@GaryBrett 

Just came from gym, everything went smooth with Fenix 5 but I searched in past in Samsung Health to see how it performed and even there are flat lines, the average and the maximum seems pretty accurate and I believe better as values than Garmin which seems to be a little bit slower in reactions

However when I see flatline from Samsung I remember how frustrating it was ...

0 Likes
AndreiV
Navigator
Options

@GaryBrett 

Hey Gary, read online that the update was released in UK as well. Can you do some tests? Daily usage, gym, running etc?

Still thinking wether I should give a try again

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options
AndreiV, yes it turned up last night so will definitely give it a go and report back.

It looks nice but then it always did so nothing new there, initial thing I've noticed is there HR on watchdace does seem more responsive, its updating every second or so. Previously mine never did that, also has resting heart rate on display which is good.

I'll try and hammer it later at the gym if I can and post back.
AndreiV
Navigator
Options

@GaryBrett 

Wondering if you had any chance, I am really curious to see how it is working, not only in gym but on daily basis as I am more and more convinced to try again :winking-face:

Although Garmin is great and working smooth, I need also a good smartwatch with bright colours not only a hike only based watch while I'm not even hiking :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Dracangel37
Student
Options

Bonjour a tous, la mise a jour est disponible en France depuis aujourd'hui et après un entraînement de fitness, le suivi du rythme cardiaque est parfait. Ayant la montre depuis janvier, je commençais à désespérer et enfin Samsung a rectifié le soucis, qui était bien logiciel(il leur en a fallu du temps et aucunes communications, pathétique). Aucun décrochage pendant le cours de cardio, les valeurs semblent cohérentes comparé a l'Apple Watch. On va enfin pouvoir profiter de nos montres au maximum.

0 Likes