Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch not measuring Heart rate

(Topic created on: 20-05-2019 11:51 AM)
M1ch3ll3
Apprentice
Options

I have the new Galaxy watch, received on 7th September and after 1 recorded exercise the heart rate monitor is flatlining after 10 minutes. 

First walk

Screenshot_20180913-113612_Samsung Health.jpg

First run below

Screenshot_20180913-113603_Samsung Health.jpg

Second recorded walk

Screenshot_20180913-113553_Samsung Health.jpg

I am annoyed as I want to keep track of my heart rate during exercise. I also wonder if this effects the calories burned if it cannot record the heart rate correctly. 

This appears to be a common theme for Samsung watches as my husbands S3 did the same, purchased Sept 2017, at the beginning of the year. 

433 REPLIES 433
GMSundown
First Poster
Options

No Luck.  Didnt  work...

0 Likes
AndreiV
Navigator
Options

Wondering if with the latest update the HR has been fixed, can you try please?

Mine was sent back and got a refund

0 Likes
Rach77
Pathfinder
Options
Dont want to tempt fate but mine has been working for a couple of months now. Fingers crossed it continues.
0 Likes
The5eagull
Explorer
Options

Mine works intermittently. 

I have found the problem is linked to the watchface AOD. 

If that is working, so is the HR monitor.

Rach77
Pathfinder
Options
Thats very interesting.
AndreiV
Navigator
Options

Anyone else with the latest update can inform us?

As said I got a Fenix instead and although it's a great fitness companion, I still miss the galaxy watch :smiling-face: so fingers crossed regarding the HR sensor.

0 Likes
DrgFly
Journeyman
Options

Can you give a little more detail on how you got it to work. If i understand AOD it means always on display? I turned that on in my settings, and while the display stays on during my workout the widget for Samsung Health still goes to sleep. Which I believe is the main issue. The heart rate monitor its self works perefectly. I was at the doctors and the device they put on my fingure matched my watch HR exaclty. So I agree with what most said its the Samsung Health app. After reading your post i started paying attention, at Orange Theory when i'm on the rower my arms position causes the widget to be up longer so during that period it reads my HR more accurately. But when I'm doing weights or on the tread it switches back to the time on the watch.  Did you figure out a way to keep the workout up on your watch during your workout? or did you just use the 'always on' setting ? OR did you use a specific watch face type ? 

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

The problem in my humble option is not with AOD but with the HR sensor itself, or more precisely the software interacting with it. I can only assume its the Health App as other 3rd party apps seems to work well with Tizen/Galaxy Watch.

I've posted before but to recap, on Gear Tracker it reports the sensor as being restarted for example 29 times in an hours workout, HR during this workout is 95% spot on. The Galaxy itself or Samsung Health doesnt have the ability to restart the sensor immeditely on failure hence the flatlining and break in HR when looking at data whether on the Watch or in S Health.

Next time you workout and it freezes, quickly switch back to the watch face (with HR icon on) and you may see the HR is actually working OK, just that Samsung Health cant see it..

Just my inout for what its worth :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

0 Likes
xchatter
Apprentice
Options

New update came out. Maybe someone can test if Samsung sorted out these problems with it ? 

(I don't own the watch anymore since I returned it after seing that HR doesn't work correctly)

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options
Im selling mine but may hold on to check once the update hits UK. The optimist in me says it may, then reality hits as they promised a fix with every update since last August and if anything its got worse, for me at least.

We can only hope
0 Likes