Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Watch and Strava

(Topic created on: 24-01-2019 10:59 AM)
trbox
Apprentice
Options

I just bought the Galaxy Watch 42mm, and so far I'm happy with the watch. The UI is great, navigating with the bezel is a dream, and notifications work great even though I'm using an iPhone.

However, the fact that I have no option to use Strava with the Galaxy Watch, either native app or through Samsung Health, is mind-boggling. And infuriating. Especially since Strava is featured as one of the apps for the Galaxy Watch on Samsung's website (https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-watch/). 

Imgur link showing how they feature the Strava app on Galaxy Watch (https://imgur.com/a/CkUan2p).

The only communication regarding Strava on the Galaxy Watch is from @StravaSupport on Twitter. Which in itself is weird. No communication from Samsung, yet Strava informs the community that Samsung is working on an app.

I really hope Samsung tells us what their plan is, and when we can expect the Strava app. Featuring an app on their "showcase" page that isn't available several weeks after launch is unacceptable.

So, Samsung: what is your plan with regards to the advertised Strava app on the Galaxy Watch?

102 REPLIES 102
Kp72
Apprentice
Options

I cant get my shealth to sync to strava either and i have it set up as advised in the previous post...i did download strava to my galaxy watch but that disnt sync either 🙄.

I ended up reinstalling the app but I lost my history. It has, touch wood, synced ok since then. It has also updated the app today so maybe they are on top of things..😂

0 Likes
Chriso83
Student
Options

I have the Samsung gear s. I don't seem to be able to install Strava on my watch. 

I have Samsung health on my phone and watch which sync, and Samsung health says that Strava is linked. But nothing gets uploaded to my Strava account. Can anyone help. It's driving me mad. Thanks

Chriso83
Student
Options
I can't download Strava onto my watch. How did you do it? Thanks
0 Likes
Kp72
Apprentice
Options

I used the galaxy wearable app on my phone to install strava-ride walk run app. Phone links/updates to watch and it apeared on watch when it synced. I dis have issues where i could not upload watch activity to strava but i uninstalled app and reinstalled. So far no more issues. Sorry for the laymans explaination, im not very good with the technical speak. 

JorgeSNeto
First Poster
Options

Hi, there.

Anyone who's already using the Strava app on Samsung watch could tell me if the LIve Segments are working fine (or if it's possible to see them on the watch)? Thanks!

0 Likes
JohanDeVilliers
Journeyman
Options

Nope.. the Strava app is still very basic. No Live Segments yet.

0 Likes
JorgeSNeto
First Poster
Options
Oh, that's a shame, I was really excited to buy the watch but live segments are a must-have for me 😕
Thanks for your answer, anyway!
0 Likes
JohanDeVilliers
Journeyman
Options

According to the rumour mill they are planning to bring out live segments for the app sometime in the future.. No idea when though.. it feels like they rushed a bit to launch this basic app on the watch. It's still a bit glitchy.. Almost 50% of the time I have issues when recording an activity. Descending bumpy terrain on a MTB, the heartrate is all over the place, but I'm not sure if this is just a problem with this watch, or if all watches will have this issue on bumpy terrain. Sometimes heartrate just doesn't record at all. Sometimes GPS data is bad and shows me on a route that I didn't even ride or run on.. Sometimes GPS starts tracking 500m too late, or stops recording for no reason an hour into an activity. Lately I would start an activity and I make sure it is tracking..then 5 minutes in when I look on my watch it completely stopped the Strava app and is on the watch face without saving any activities.. It's really getting frustrating. As far as I can tell from comments around the web, it is a Strava app software issue, and not a Samsung hardware issue.. So I hope with a few Strava App updates all these issues can be resolved.. I'll give it a few more months time for Strava and Samsung to sort this out with software updates, otherwise I'm returning the watch.  Luckily I'm still recording with my old Sigma Rox 11 for backup when the watch fails on a ride or run. This watch has so much potential to knock big name sports watches down a bit, but all the functions just feel as it missing the mark a bit. I think the best way to sum up my experience: It's a great smartwatch with good sport functionality, but not a great sportswatch on its own. If you want a dedicated sportswatch and you don't need the ton of other features of this watch, then I'd say get a Garmin. My problem, I need and use the other features of this watch daily..Would've been awesome if the Strava tracking could be sorted out.. Then this would really be the perfect watch for me.

0 Likes
daath
Explorer
Options

If you care about fitness and measuring fitness data, the Galaxy Watch is definitely not for you. I would suggest a watch that works with fitness, such as a Garmin.

toniatze
First Poster
Options

i have the samsung galaxy watch and I am using the strava app. does anyone know if i can go for a run without my phone?

will the watch record and store the data until the bluetooth connection to my phone is reestablished and uploads them?

many thanks!

0 Likes