Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Watch and Strava

(Topic created on: 07-12-2019 04:13 AM)
trbox
Apprentice
Options

I just bought the Galaxy Watch 42mm, and so far I'm happy with the watch. The UI is great, navigating with the bezel is a dream, and notifications work great even though I'm using an iPhone.

However, the fact that I have no option to use Strava with the Galaxy Watch, either native app or through Samsung Health, is mind-boggling. And infuriating. Especially since Strava is featured as one of the apps for the Galaxy Watch on Samsung's website (https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-watch/). 

Imgur link showing how they feature the Strava app on Galaxy Watch (https://imgur.com/a/CkUan2p).

The only communication regarding Strava on the Galaxy Watch is from @StravaSupport on Twitter. Which in itself is weird. No communication from Samsung, yet Strava informs the community that Samsung is working on an app.

I really hope Samsung tells us what their plan is, and when we can expect the Strava app. Featuring an app on their "showcase" page that isn't available several weeks after launch is unacceptable.

So, Samsung: what is your plan with regards to the advertised Strava app on the Galaxy Watch?

102 REPLIES 102
Harithk
Student
Options

Yeah I think I'm calling it quits with the Samsung Galaxy Watch Active2. Okay so for everyone asking, you can download this app called 'Health Sync' on the Google Play Store and it can sync your runs that you record natively on the watch to Strava/Google Fit, etc. I've had the Galaxy Watch Active but it was too small for my wrist so sold it off and got the Active2 44mm.

Yesterday was my first ever Half Marathon and I thought 'Hey, let's record natively and not mess with anything else so the battery won't die and I'll be able to track my 2hr plus of running.' The battery was at 85% so I thought it should be good to go. No music, no other apps running in the background. 

6.34km in, it stops recording and only the time ticks on ahead. I don't know how to explain how annoyed I was. After going through a tunnel - 7km later - it started recording again so my overall kms for the day was 14.3km >_< Safe to say with the Strava app crapping out on me on this watch and now the NATIVE *****ING app I've had enough. ***** you Samsung for ruining something so special to me 🙃

0 Likes
Grant837
Explorer
Options

I am trying out the Under Armour apps... mind you, I have an iPhone, so the connection between Samsung / Android was a risk I was willing to take... Samsun Health works OK so far (no fitness activities tried yet), but it lacks the ability to look at data in detail, or export it, at least if using an iPhone.  I wonder why all these companies do not support their apps with web products... it would make them so much more attractive to people who are no fans of only one product line...

Grant

0 Likes
buffmd
First Poster
Options

I've had the active gear 2 watch for a couple of months.  It has recorded most of my outdoor runs properly (2 glitched and either crashed or added 10 km).

The problem I'm having is with treadmill runs and indoor spin classes.  Strava starts up properly and records for about 6-7 minutes, then just shuts off and no data is saved.  It seems to work sometimes on treadmill run (and it actually records my speed pretty accurately - not sure how it does that!) but it always crashes during indoor rides.

Any suggestions?  Thanks!

TallPaulK9
First Poster
Options

Hi all 

Did a 10.6 mile run Sunday just gone 26th April on my SGW via the Strava app. Its record it and completed all good. 

It's never appeared on my Strava Profile. When I go into the History in strava on the SGW it's there see pic. But there is not 'tap to sync' option. 

Anyone got any clues on how to get the run data of the SGW and onto my Strava Profile? 

I've opened an enquiry with Strava but they are not very good at speedy replies are they! 

On top of this, as so 27th Apr my SGW is having a fit and the battery last less then 4hrs with nothing running and if turned on it uses more power than it can charge the battery.  Samsung chat recommend a factory reset. But I'm holding off till I can get the Strava data for my run. 

Anyone else having issues like the above?20200426_214833.jpg

0 Likes
redrabbit
Apprentice
Options

I've got a Galaxy Active 42mm and no matter what I try it does not track my distance or GPS correclty.  E.g. I run 4.3 miles on strava (which is correct), yet any app on the watch reports it as being something like 3.8miles.  Way less.  

I have tried using the Gears Tracker, and the developer is helping me but I wanted to raise this here to see if others had this issue, and if you found any solutions?

Strava - today I walked 1.44 mile according to strava

Gears Tracker - in flight mode, using GPS on the watch only the same route, it showed me walking 1.35 miles

MAPS

Looking at the maps, its clear that the issue is that GPS is just not at all accurate or detailed on the watch. It looks like a soft line loosely drawn over my actual route.  On my watch there is no where to change the accuracy of this that I can see. 

See the maps below, strava is very detailed, showing each turn and twist as I walked.  

maps.png

0 Likes
Des7
First Poster
Options

I've got strva on my watch, but it keeps asking me for a 4 digit code, ware do I get it from ? 

0 Likes
Des7
First Poster
Options
Ware did you get the 4 digit code ?
0 Likes
maverick1103
Pioneer
Options

@Des7 wrote:
Ware did you get the 4 digit code ?

The code is off the website, you need to go to the one the watch shows. 

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Hi Guys,

My Gear S3 is unable to sync my run today. I tap the "Tap to Resync", it will display "Sync Completed" but the activity does not appear on my account (web and mobile app). I have tried rebooting and force stopping the strava app on my watch but non of this work. Thinking of uninstalling the app but the might erase my activity for good.

Any way around this? Great if you guys can help.

Syamir

0 Likes
abrahamreyes9
First Poster
Options
I have the exact same problem
0 Likes