Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Watch and Strava

(Topic created on: 06-05-2019 07:34 AM)
trbox
Apprentice
Options

I just bought the Galaxy Watch 42mm, and so far I'm happy with the watch. The UI is great, navigating with the bezel is a dream, and notifications work great even though I'm using an iPhone.

However, the fact that I have no option to use Strava with the Galaxy Watch, either native app or through Samsung Health, is mind-boggling. And infuriating. Especially since Strava is featured as one of the apps for the Galaxy Watch on Samsung's website (https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/galaxy-watch/). 

Imgur link showing how they feature the Strava app on Galaxy Watch (https://imgur.com/a/CkUan2p).

The only communication regarding Strava on the Galaxy Watch is from @StravaSupport on Twitter. Which in itself is weird. No communication from Samsung, yet Strava informs the community that Samsung is working on an app.

I really hope Samsung tells us what their plan is, and when we can expect the Strava app. Featuring an app on their "showcase" page that isn't available several weeks after launch is unacceptable.

So, Samsung: what is your plan with regards to the advertised Strava app on the Galaxy Watch?

102 REPLIES 102
daath
Explorer
Options

Yes, there is nothing wrong with GPS on my Galaxy Watch either - just wanted to report on how the Vivoactive performs - Usually it's pretty good :smiling-face:

I wish I'd had the opportunity to buy the music edition of the Vivoactive, but hey :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Netch
First Poster
Options

I just downloaded the Stravo App (3/6/2019) onto my iPhone and used the my Samsung Gear S3 on a bike ride for the first time.

First attempt to synchronize from the S3 to my iPhone did not work.  Then I reconnected the blue tooth connections (from the iphone) and the S3 synched immediately.   Low hanging fruit solution, but check that your S3 is actually blue tooth connected to your phone.

Now if Stravo would not burn through 50% of my S3 battery in an hour, we would have a real winner!

0 Likes
Sarajw70
Apprentice
Options

So far - I have found the GPS to be better using the Strava app than using the standard run function on the Galaxy Watch.  To check accuracy I used my Garmin Vivoactive 3 as well.  Using the Strava App both devices recorded the same distance on a 5km run, but using the Galaxy Watch, it recorded around 180 metres short of the Garmin on a 6 km run.  Not overly worried.  Just hope I don't experience the same issues as some have had with the Strava app not syncing.

0 Likes
nickod
First Poster
Options

Use Garmin Fenix5 more then 6 month, now bay for wife new galaxy active...

-Problem with strava (samsung helth not send activity to strava, strava app drain acc in a 2 hour)

-Not count run indoor on treadmill and in a swimingpool (only incorrect HR and time) - my fenix count all and do it perfect.. 

-Batary drain..  1-1,5 day  - fenix work 1-1,5 week 

-Incorrect HR (I try it at the same situation)

SAMSUNG - place in a garbage

0 Likes
Captaindave
Apprentice
Options

Was hoping someone could help please. I’m looking at the functionality of Strava on the Samsung watch and wondered how do you start and stop an activity via the Strava app itself? Is it via one of the side buttons or via the touch screen. I’ve had issues when using the touch screen on a phone before that doesn’t react to the touch of my sweaty hands, adding annoying seconds on to any time I’ve achieved for a run. Also I was wondering if there is a notification feature via Strava that gives a watch vibration every kilometre as I like the update of time and average pace etc?

0 Likes
JohanDeVilliers
Journeyman
Options

If you are like me where it irritates you if you loose seconds on a run or ride, don't get the Samsung watch because that would be the least of your problems! It's a smart watch with sports tracking ability, not an out-and-out sports watch. Strava regularly drops GPS signal, tracks the route wrong, or just stops recording midway through a session. HR monitoring is shaky..sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've noticed on my longer rides in the region of 3-6 hours 95% of the time it just stops recording mid session for no reason. on shorter session of 1-1,5 hours it's about 75% success rate of recording correctly. I always take a second GPS tracking device with me when I cycle because I know the Strava app on the Samsung watch is not that reliable. 

That being said, it does have auto-pause function, so you shouldn't loose too much seconds when you are standing still. You stop and start on-screen, not with buttons(I haven't tried though, maybe it does aswell?) I've found that sweaty hands on the watch screen works better than on a phone screen. I'm even able to easily press the watch screen buttons when I'm wearing gloves. 

The watch vibrates every km you run, yes, and then it gives you a 1km lap update for a few seconds before returning to the screen showing your distance, time and live pace.

I'm thinking of getting Gear Tracker instead of using the Strava app. It also loads your activity straight to Strava afterwards, and apparently it is way more reliable than the Strava app. 

Captaindave
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for the heads up. I want to like the Samsung watch but for what I want I’m just not sure it’s up to the job and think it would leave me frustrated. I like the look of the Garmin Fēnix 5 plus but it’s not cheap. I guess i want a watch that does everything really well. Maybe I’m greedy or maybe I don’t like settling for average. 

Thanks again, Dave 

@JohanDeVilliers wrote:

If you are like me where it irritates you if you loose seconds on a run or ride, don't get the Samsung watch because that would be the least of your problems! It's a smart watch with sports tracking ability, not an out-and-out sports watch. Strava regularly drops GPS signal, tracks the route wrong, or just stops recording midway through a session. HR monitoring is shaky..sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've noticed on my longer rides in the region of 3-6 hours 95% of the time it just stops recording mid session for no reason. on shorter session of 1-1,5 hours it's about 75% success rate of recording correctly. I always take a second GPS tracking device with me when I cycle because I know the Strava app on the Samsung watch is not that reliable. 

That being said, it does have auto-pause function, so you shouldn't loose too much seconds when you are standing still. You stop and start on-screen, not with buttons(I haven't tried though, maybe it does aswell?) I've found that sweaty hands on the watch screen works better than on a phone screen. I'm even able to easily press the watch screen buttons when I'm wearing gloves. 

The watch vibrates every km you run, yes, and then it gives you a 1km lap update for a few seconds before returning to the screen showing your distance, time and live pace.

I'm thinking of getting Gear Tracker instead of using the Strava app. It also loads your activity straight to Strava afterwards, and apparently it is way more reliable than the Strava app. 

0 Likes
JohanDeVilliers
Journeyman
Options

My comments may be a bit harsh, but like you, I felt my standards was high and didn't want to settle for a watch that only performs average as a sports watch. To be honest, with my runs I haven't really had issues (Keep in mind I never run more than 1,5 hours at a time, it's my secondary sport). My main issues are when MTB'ing descending fast the HR seems to flatline (Apparently this is a problem with all optical HR monitors, for the best HR readings you have to wear a chest strap). And the GPS wrong route tracking also only happens when descending fast on twisty bits where it pulls a straight line instead of follow the exact route. And stops recording on long rides. I think I'm going to try Gear Tracker on the watch. You can connect an external HR monitor like a chest strap to the app, and from all I've read there is no GPS issues with it.. Plus it uploads your activities automatically to Strava.

I was  also considering the Fenix 5 plus, but opted for the Galaxy watch because of all the other capibilites  and functions I use on a daily basis. And it looks like a genuine watch with a premium feel to it instead of this monster thing that sits on your wrist like the Fenix. The customizability of the watch faces is also great. And for halve the price I was able to get a Galaxy watch for my wife as well.

0 Likes
Marturo
First Poster
Options

I understand that Samsung heath is the responsible to send the data to strava. To do this needs your Samsung account to provide a secure communication.

Sometimes this accounts requires password upgrades to remain active. I remember that you need to change your password every 6 months.

After update my password and save one track, one beautiful message appear in strava that said that my track is ready.

0 Likes
Kilroy
Student
Options

Hi All

Thought I'd post this. As others have I've struggled to get my GW to sync with Strava.

However, after accepting it just wasn't going to work in the past few days, randomly, my watch/Samsung Health have started syncing with Strava.

No idea why as I haven't changed any settings to make this happen.

It doesn't sync anything that's auto-started but has done run, walks and swims that i have startred tracking from the watch.

0 Likes