Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 46mm Not counting steps

(Topic created on: 09-09-2018 11:51 AM)
J8cko
Explorer
Options

Received my galaxy watch on Friday but no matter what I do I cannot get the step counter to work properly, I've tried all the suggested things to fix the problem but nothing works, the step count is so intermittent or dosent work at all. 

If I get up and walk around it counts nothing, jog up the stairs and it starts counting, sit down and get up again and the watch stops counting. 

I've seen alot of posts with people with the same problem and all of them returning there watches, I love the watch and don't really want to return it if it's a software issue that can be fixed.

Anyone else UK having the same issue

568 REPLIES 568
JK2017
Pathfinder
Options

"he watch will only show what's read on the watch so asked how to get it to sync with the phone and show both. Supports reply is I should turn it to watch only as it will double my steps with both being selected."

I think you can only do that on the phone. The phone gives you the options to view, phone, watch or all. Phone + watch may not equal all as you may not use them at the same time. I think the watch will always show the watch count.

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

0 Likes
Dobba
Explorer
Options

Yes both have the same software. I think the issue is the initial start of steps for example if I was sitting on the sofa and went upstairs for something I would not do enough steps so it would not read them or the stairs.

As for having phone as reading all steps. I think it reads both at the same time but if one device is reading steps and the other isn't it will still add steps. When you select each separate device they give different readings as well.

Example would be if I did 14000 steps in a day

Phone itself might read 13125

Watch might be 10200

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

great thanks for letting me know, has to be software unless both 42mm & 46mm use identical hardware inside then?

If you check your step count on watch while sitting, then take a stroll upstairs counting the steps, does it not catch up and report correct step count?

0 Likes
Dobba
Explorer
Options
If you don't do enough steps it doesnt register any it stays asleep.

My partner gets up 3 times a night to see to the baby and the watch says she's had 8hrs solid sleep because the baby is only in the other room and the watch doesn't read she's active.
0 Likes
lisafox16
Voyager
Options

@GaryBrett wrote:

great thanks for letting me know, has to be software unless both 42mm & 46mm use identical hardware inside then?

If you check your step count on watch while sitting, then take a stroll upstairs counting the steps, does it not catch up and report correct step count?

Mine doesn't always, most times but not always and certainly not the correct amount. Bear in mind though FitBit are known to over estimate steps but I'm comparing mine to a Gear Sport and S3.

0 Likes
JK2017
Pathfinder
Options

They will be using completely different hardware (for example I am using a blackberry key one) so it is to be expected imo. My phone over-counts compared to the watch imo. 

I think S Health does make adjustments for 'all' as well. If you note down all the levels , walk 100 steps with both devices and then view the changes across all totals I think the 'all' will come out lower than just adding phone and watch together. Could be wrong.

0 Likes
GaryBrett
Voyager
Options

Yeh, mine is definately  15 steps before activating.

Got up, walked 10 steps nothing registered. Stopped, walked 10 steps back, nothing. Got up walked 16 steps and it registered 15 on the watch so ingored the 20 short bursts.

Thats where my 2/3000 steps are going missing each day.. On a positive note it is making me work harder to acheive the step goals

0 Likes
JK2017
Pathfinder
Options

I'd definitely want to undercount:-) You'd be lucky if 2000-3000 steps added up to 100kcals extra burn on top of what you would have burnt sitting down. Steps are really just a guideline to compare general movement from one day to another in my opinion. I will see if I can video my watch's behaviour at some point. 

0 Likes
lisafox16
Voyager
Options

Just got back from a walk during my lunch where I started a walking workout. It lost my heart rate twice during the walk, and the first time would only reconnect after I took the watch off and wiped the back. It then started tracking again. Ten minutes later it lost tracking again. All this during a 25 minute walk!

0 Likes