Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Watch 46mm Not counting steps

(Topic created on: 10-10-2018 09:34 PM)
J8cko
Explorer
Options

Received my galaxy watch on Friday but no matter what I do I cannot get the step counter to work properly, I've tried all the suggested things to fix the problem but nothing works, the step count is so intermittent or dosent work at all. 

If I get up and walk around it counts nothing, jog up the stairs and it starts counting, sit down and get up again and the watch stops counting. 

I've seen alot of posts with people with the same problem and all of them returning there watches, I love the watch and don't really want to return it if it's a software issue that can be fixed.

Anyone else UK having the same issue

568 REPLIES 568
g_t_j
Pioneer
Options
This is where my mind goes I'm afraid....
lisafox16
Voyager
Options

John Lewis still have them in stock but they're probably not worried about third party suppliers. 

g_t_j
Pioneer
Options
I bought mine from Currys on eBay. They do also still have stock. However, if I eventually return it, I will be getting my replacement directly from Samsung!
0 Likes
Tasaran
Apprentice
Options

Are your problems with the step counting that it doesnt count the steps correctly when you run or walk over long distances? Or is the problem that it doesnt count if you take few steps than 15/20? Im curious because mine count correctly when i walk longer than 20steps, but not fewer. 
I just like to know if my device is as broken as you claim yours is, or working as "intended" in order to weed out fake steps.

0 Likes
g_t_j
Pioneer
Options

I haven't had major issues with step counting tbh. For me, missing the first 10  steps (if that's the case) is not a problem. 

My problem is HR monitoring while running outdoors or during some vigorous excercise.

Most of the times, it will stop monitoring after a while and will only resume towards the end of the activity.

A dealbreaker for me - as much as I love the smartwatch itself for what it is, I bought it mainly for its sports features.  

0 Likes
creepyg
Explorer
Options

I sent logs to Samsung and they replied confirming that not counting small amounts of steps is normal behaviour, intended precisely to weed out miscounts.

I mentioned comparisons to my Gear S3 and they advised they had improved the algorithms etc. to improve accuracy.

I really don't know what to believe. Things have certainly improved, and now I get broadly what I'd expect step-wise. But it's still galling to miss 10 steps here and there many times throughout the day. It doesn't feel 'more accurate'!!

0 Likes
Tasaran
Apprentice
Options

As a teacher and parent i walk a lot, but not many steps at the time. So missing 10 steps 50 -100 times a day sucks. If this what is intended, they should either rethink or teach Garmin how to count steps...

0 Likes
creepyg
Explorer
Options
Yeah, I notice the difference around the house vs. Gear S3. I'm still up and moving, but often the associated steps aren't recorded as it's lots of short bursts. Sounds ridiculous but I've seen myself do a quick jog on the spot just to get the steps I'm 'owed'. Or maybe that's the point!?!
0 Likes
Dannyboy236
Explorer
Options

The people that have had exchange watches and now say they are better what are they testing against?

For me before i got the watch i used my phone for step tracking. Got the watch and it is always 2000 steps lower. In fact i did 13000 steps registered on my phone but watch was only showing 10000 so 3000 different. Now it could be the phone has always over counted and my watch is accurate?

Short of counting my steps my self all day how could i know?

0 Likes
lisafox16
Voyager
Options

I've noticed a vast difference between my S3 and GW with the first 15/20 missing steps. It's fine for continuous walking but not the short bursts. I spent nearly a day sorting out filing cabinets where I was backwards and forwards the whole time but obviously not doing many steps. It recorded hardly any for the whole day apart from when I went out walking at lunchtime!

0 Likes