Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S8 pre order UK vs US

(Topic created on: 10-04-2017 07:37 PM)
Valenni
Explorer
Options

Just a friendly question folks, last week I preordered the Galaxy S8. However, it seems the US customers are getting a lot more.

Get a free Gear VR with Controller plus Oculus content bonus and Platinum Experience with Samsung Rewards when you pre-order the Galaxy S8. For an additional $99, get the full Gear VR experience including premium headphones by AKG and 256GB memory card.*

Any ideas why we don't get the same offer? 

$720 for the S8 in the USA. Converted to UK sterling it's £581. 

£689 for the S8 in the UK. 

Why are we paying £100 more and not getting the extras? 

20 REPLIES 20
BandOfBrothers1
Pathfinder
Options

Hi,

Different marketplace I assume. It's always been the case when it comes to prices we pay to what the buyers across the pond pays plus any relevant taxes. 

The akg earphones come bundled in the box however Samsung have raised the price anyway from the s7 and s7 edge so whilst getting good earphones one could say they've covered that cost in the price increase. 

I've known Samsung to drop in offers.  When I bought my s7 edge I just missed out on the free Vr Headset by 1 day !

I think at the moment if a person buys from Samsung they can choose some form of insurance which is something that does not interest me. (This may have changed)

Im probably going to wait it out for the Note 8. 

I see no credible reason to upgrade from my s7 edge apart from the display. 

My Current Phone > Samsung Galaxy s7 edge SM-G935F. {XEU}
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Got to say it is bad because if you look at what they get here also,

http://www.lazada.com.my/samsung-galaxy-s8/

LPN_1.jpg

Valenni
Explorer
Options

The akg headphone and 256gb memory card are $99 extra, but the free VR headset is a killer. I bought the V1 Gear VR, and it's not compatible with the S8. 

Shame Saumsung are not treating it's loyal customers equally. 

0 Likes
Jamie__S13
Journeyman
Options

8 days early will only give us the novelty of saying "We got it first" for the next week before others get their free Gear VR and other offers.  I'm sure anyone would give up a useless 8 days to save £60+ on a gear vr.

Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Got to say Samsung UK missed a trick here if they had given us a option to buy the add on pack I would have totally done it as this video (unboxing shows) it would have added to the experience 150% and would be happy still to paid with the cash to get such a add on pack to go with my device 😞

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P3HRIWXLs0&feature=em-uploademail

s8.jpg

Valenni
Explorer
Options

Aye, still think I would prefer the VR hedset Tracy. What would you prefer?

Besides, I only got my S8 today, so the 8 day thing did not apply to me. 

Guess I will have to sell my old VR headset now since it will not work with he S8. 

Great move Samsung. 😞

0 Likes
Daveid
Apprentice
Options

Valenni I'm very disappointed to not get any free gear vr either 😞

but don't forget that US prices are shown without sales tax, which here is essentially VAT. so add 20% £581 and you get £697.20

i'm actually tempted to wait a bit and see if they do offer something in a little while

Jamie__S13
Journeyman
Options

US tax is less than 20%.  Depends on State but it's usually 5-10%.  With 10% (Most states) it's still only £639.10 if using the base price (£581).  That means we pay more by 58.10.  AND we don't get anything.

Sure, it's not Samsung's fault about Tax in countries, but providing offers in the US without giving is us a good reason apart from "We can't comment on offers in other regions."

All we get (Not even direct from Samsung!) Is £10 vouchers and £80 bluetooth speakers (That people will never use, barely ever seen anyone use a Bluetooth speaker before) from Carriers.

BandOfBrothers1
Pathfinder
Options

I just missed out on the free Vr Headset when I bought my s7 edge from Samsung by 1 day. 😞

This time around I'm waiting till after the 28/4/17 when the Pre Order get it 8 days early promotion is ended and will see what or if anything is offered.

If not then it's not a dealbreaker for me. 

I'm in the Uk waiting to part with £689 for the s8. 

My Current Phone > Samsung Galaxy s7 edge SM-G935F. {XEU}