Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Active Stops measuring heart rate when working out

(Topic created on: 01-01-2020 05:15 PM)
henk2055
Student
Options

I have a new Galaxy watch active. When i start a workout session, after a couple of minutes, the heart rate sensor stops working. It has nothing to do with sweat or anything like that. The green LED isn't even on. There is a fix, and that is to make a manual stress metering when this happens, that will make the heart rate sensor start working again and it will then work during the rest of the excercise. This make me believe that there is a software error.

Any Thoughts?

14 REPLIES 14
CarloL
Hotshot
Options

Hey @henk2055! Samsung watches calculate the Heart Rate using blood volume changes by capturing emitted lights returning through your skin.

The accuracy of such optic-based HR measurement can be influenced by physical and physiological factors such as tightness of wearing, hairs, tattoo, level of muscle contraction, perfusion, and etc. I would recommend following these steps that will help your watch tracking your patterns correctly:

1. Keep the device fit to your wrist. You would have more chance to get accurate heart rate by keeping the air-gap between the device and your wrist minimized.
2. Select a proper exercise type.
3. Wait until the heart rate values are displayed on the screen before starting the exercise.

0 Likes
Bo76
First Poster
Options

Seeing the same problem with galaxy watch SM-R500.

About 12 mins into the workout heart rate tracking just stops. There is nothing to suggest its to do with how i wear it, sweat, battery etc... as my workout is kinda light (just walking).

This happens consistently around the 12th minute mark suggesting a bug perhaps. Attaching versions installer (which i checked as of today are the latest)

20200321_213243.jpg

Screenshot_20200321-213037_Watch Active Plugin.jpg

Its pretty basic to expect that an active watch tracks your workouts properly... is there any fix for this?

0 Likes
Andy_fcd
Apprentice
Options

Exactly the same issue with a gear sport.  Did anyone have a fix for this?Screenshot_20200526-192229_Samsung Health.jpg

Screenshot_20200526-192216_Samsung Health.jpg

0 Likes
Pintoto
First Poster
Options

The same thing happens to me. 

Any idea how to fix it? 

Cheers

0 Likes
Tuleya
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue using my Galaxy Active watch, whilst exercising the heart rate just stops registering, and then sometimes resumes 20 mins or so later for a short time.  I do classes at the gym so not possible to stop and fiddle around with my watch to try and re-set it.

Samsung - can you fix this bug please ?

0 Likes
Andy_fcd
Apprentice
Options

This just in from Samasung help team .....

As we have exhausted all the troubleshooting available to address the symptom, this is something that will need to be fixed by a future software update for the watch. I completely understand how much of an inconvenience this solution might be to you. I highly encourage you to share it on our Samsung Community (https://us.community.samsung.com/), where it can be easily tagged and found if Samsung product groups are seeking public feedback regarding our products to implement them in future updates. ^Yoel

clearly not very helpful as we all already knew !!

0 Likes
Jessicapeneli
First Poster
Options

Do you know if they are offering refunds? This is pretty much the main feature I wanted to work on this watch....

Andy_fcd
Apprentice
Options

They offered no refund to me even when the watch died - they could have at least offered a discount on a new watch .... 

In the end I bought a Hauwei GT-2 - excellent watch, 7 day battery life, perfect heart monitoring including V02 max from firstbeat. You just have to give up NFC payments and the ability to respond to texts

Carlos_H
First Poster
Options

I'm having a similar issue. It used to work ok when I was biking in the summer, but now when I'm exercising, which consists in going upstairs 27 floors, it wont work when I select a step machine or even a basic workout. Then goes back to normal when I'm resting. I know it's getting wrong measurements because I use my phone heart rate sensor to compare and looks accurate. So, what's the point to have your heart hate sensor to workout if doesn't works at workouts?

0 Likes